English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 September 2011, 18:25   #21
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Is there a pre-installed version out (without mp3, ...)?
Yes, see this thread.
Old 14 September 2011, 23:19   #22
daxb

Thanks.
Old 15 September 2011, 02:13   #23
amiman99

Very well done, Thank you for the great music made on Amiga
Have been listening on Amiga and PC
Old 15 September 2011, 19:16   #24
daxb

First, overall I like the musicdisk really much. Great work hOffman! The mods songs are nicely joined to a mix. Has somebody else released a mod mix or is 8BitJungle the first one of its kind? Would it be (technically) possible doing the same with "real" mods (not songs)? I think about future music disks that are played/arranged as mix.

I depacked the files to have access to the song sample files. After loding into protracker I noticed small differneces (I think so). Is there some magic in 8BitJungle?

While depacking I notced some double sample files distributed on the three disks (WHDLoad version -> DSK(1-3)#?). I would like to know why?

Would it be (theoretical)to possible to have 8BitJungle in multitasking mode? Enough cpu power (030+) and memory preconditioned.
Old 15 September 2011, 19:47   #25
h0ffman

Hey Daxb

The only difference is the sample names have been upper-cased to make it easier doing look-ups for them. If you depack the samples from the original disks, they won't sound right as they have delta compression on them. This helps the compressor to get a little more crunch out of them.

Some of the tunes from disk 1 use the same samples from tunes on disk 3. This means they have to be on disk 3 because you dont want to have to ask the listener to insert disk 1, then 2, then 3, then 1, then 2.... and so on... that would be real annoying!

As for this being a first, nope! Flash productions were the first to do it, here.. http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=28374. Also I did one with some of friends of mine when we were in Quartz called Project Techno here.. http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=33318.

You could essentially do this with any set of tunes but to be honest, the work that goes into linking/mixing them together is pretty big job.

AS for multi-tasking it, of course its possible, but as far as I'm concerned, the project is released and done. If someone wants to do it, more than happily give over the source code, although its a frikin mess!!

I'm concentrating on my next project, a demo or intro. The first steps being making some good effects, the chessboard is coming along nicely But again, with this being a side project to normal life, it's gonna take some time to complete.

Thanks for the comments
Old 15 September 2011, 19:50   #26
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Very good - Did you ever do any white labels or anything?
Hey Boo Boo

I do a lot of music, some professionally (although theres no money in it!) and some scenery. If you look me up on soundcloud.com/h0ffman you can download a lot of my back catalogue. Most of it is studio based productions, but theres a few mods up there too
Old 15 September 2011, 20:14   #27
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
While depacking I notced some double sample files distributed on the three disks (WHDLoad version -> DSK(1-3)#?). I would like to know why?
The sample names are the same but the content is not which is why I simply ripped all files from all disks and added the "DSKx" prefix. I checked at least one sample from disk 1 and disk 2, both had the same name but the sample data was different.

Quote:
Would it be (theoretical)to possible to have 8BitJungle in multitasking mode? Enough cpu power (030+) and memory preconditioned.
Yes, that would be possible. But the question is, why?
Old 15 September 2011, 20:18   #28
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
While on the subject of non stop musicdisk stuff, I always enjoyed TEF gigamix (~1991)

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demo.php?id=22354

includes custom audio routines, with sample loading as needed, 6bit samples, and realtime effects like phase shift.
Old 15 September 2011, 20:25   #29
h0ffman

Lets also not forget that Jesus on E's uses the same principal, only it has a full demo running on it at the same time. But my scopes look better!!! :P
Old 15 September 2011, 20:27   #30
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Lets also not forget that Jesus on E's uses the same principal, only it has a full demo running on it at the same time. But my scopes look better!!! :P
Repeat after me: Jesus on E's is NOT a demo, Jesus on E's is NOT a demo!
Old 15 September 2011, 22:25   #31
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Repeat after me: Jesus on E's is NOT a demo, Jesus on E's is NOT a demo!
HAHAHA!!!!
Old 16 September 2011, 00:18   #32
daxb

@h0ffman:
Thanks for explaining. After all the years I forgot what disk swapping means. Also thanks for mention other releases (at least for me 8BitJungle is the first mod mix production). Have to check the others.

I belive that mixing the mods together was a hard work. Did you edit each song separately or in one song and after that copy the mix pattern to the next song or completely differently?

About multitasking, I just wanted to know if it would be possible or technically not. I`m looking forward for your future projects.

@StingRay:
Also thanks for you answer! Multitasking why? I like playing a musicdisk in background while doing something other. At least after watching/listening the first time when you "know" everything. For other productions like demos/intros/... it wouldn`t make sense.

I forgot to mention/ask. When I click the RMB next song plays immediately and status changed to "loading" what stays for about 10-20 seconds. So skip a song last at least that time because RMB works only if status = "raving". Seams skipping goes quicker?
Old 16 September 2011, 01:54   #33
daxb

I checked out Flash productions. Is that really different mods in a mix? For me it sounds like one megamix.
Old 16 September 2011, 09:51   #34
h0ffman

Quote:
@h0ffman:
Thanks for explaining. After all the years I forgot what disk swapping means. Also thanks for mention other releases (at least for me 8BitJungle is the first mod mix production). Have to check the others.

I belive that mixing the mods together was a hard work. Did you edit each song separately or in one song and after that copy the mix pattern to the next song or completely differently?

About multitasking, I just wanted to know if it would be possible or technically not. I`m looking forward for your future projects.

@StingRay:
Also thanks for you answer! Multitasking why? I like playing a musicdisk in background while doing something other. At least after watching/listening the first time when you "know" everything. For other productions like demos/intros/... it wouldn`t make sense.

I forgot to mention/ask. When I click the RMB next song plays immediately and status changed to "loading" what stays for about 10-20 seconds. So skip a song last at least that time because RMB works only if status = "raving". Seams skipping goes quicker?
The trick to mixing them is to dump out all the samples from each tune, then you can decide which samples and patterns can be crossed over into the next. The real challenge is making sure you dont share too much as it has to have two modules in memory at the same time..

Which brings me to your RMB question... While the intro is running, the code is loading the first module into buffer 1. When that starts playing it loads the next song into buffer two. So you see, its acting like a real DJ in some respect by using two decks (memory buffers) so while one is playing the other can be loaded.
Old 16 September 2011, 12:39   #35
daxb

I just wondered the mentioned time (10-20 seconds) that tooks loading next song to buffer. Should be at least on my system 10 times faster. If files are crunched or not seems equal.

BTW. I guess chip mem is used for song buffer. Surely a fast mem replayer could solve the memory usage and chip mem saved for gfx stuff.

Maybe different mod formats (mod, dbm, med, ...) will work in a mix?

Sorry for asking all the stuff but I want to check out possibilities and maybe doc.k would add similar feature to his music disk engine. I would like to see more real mix music as 8BitJungel in the future.
Old 16 September 2011, 14:43   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I just wondered the mentioned time (10-20 seconds) that tooks loading next song to buffer. Should be at least on my system 10 times faster. If files are crunched or not seems equal.

BTW. I guess chip mem is used for song buffer. Surely a fast mem replayer could solve the memory usage and chip mem saved for gfx stuff.

Sorry for asking all the stuff but I want to check out possibilities and maybe doc.k would add similar feature to his music disk engine. I would like to see more real mix music as 8BitJungel in the future.
Only the music note data can go in fast ram, the samples have to be in chipram, and obviously, the samples take up the biggest chunk of space in the module format.

So long as the next module in line starts when it should, theres no need to spend precious coding time trying to make the loading/depacking quicker, because the next module won't need to be played for some minutes and the next in line has long since loaded and depacked.
Old 16 September 2011, 15:14   #37
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I checked out Flash productions. Is that really different mods in a mix? For me it sounds like one megamix.
The next module is loaded while playing the current one. That's the whole trick. There are 5 or 6 modules in each Flash Production "Digital Concert" if memory serves me right.

Quote:
Any replayer will work. However, especially the DBM replayer is quite slow (except for the mixing routines) so you won't be able to run it on A500/68000.

Quote:
I would like to see more real mix music as 8BitJungel in the future.
Check D-Mob (Mega-Music Disk 3), Flash Production (Digital Concert) or Kefrens (Multi-Megamixi) demos, there were quite a few of such mixes back in the day, the concept is anything but new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Only the music note data can go in fast ram, the samples have to be in chipram, and obviously, the samples take up the biggest chunk of space in the module format.
Not quite correct, of course samples can be stored in fast ram. You just have to copy them to chipmem "on the fly" when you want to play them of course. That's how "Fast mem" replayers work.
Old 16 September 2011, 15:19   #38
h0ffman

Quote:

Cross format mixed would be a coding nightmare!!!
Old 16 September 2011, 16:10   #39
chiark
Needs a life

Just downloaded and faffed about to get this on a real Amiga.

Awesome work, nicely done!

Where's the best place to see what's going on with the Amiga demo scene nowadays?

EDIT: loving the World in my eyes bit in Unreal & Therapy! I could hug you.

Last edited by chiark; 16 September 2011 at 16:18.
Old 16 September 2011, 16:31   #40
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The next module is loaded while playing the current one. That's the whole trick. There are 5 or 6 modules in each Flash Production "Digital Concert" if memory serves me right.

Any replayer will work. However, especially the DBM replayer is quite slow (except for the mixing routines) so you won't be able to run it on A500/68000.

Check D-Mob (Mega-Music Disk 3), Flash Production (Digital Concert) or Kefrens (Multi-Megamixi) demos, there were quite a few of such mixes back in the day, the concept is anything but new.

Not quite correct, of course samples can be stored in fast ram. You just have to copy them to chipmem "on the fly" when you want to play them of course. That's how "Fast mem" replayers work.
I know that, but Ian isn't about to code that, hence my comment