English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 February 2024, 21:27   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

For me what really made the Amiga stand apart from other systems was maturity - and by that I mean how several games targeted mature audiences. My childhood memories of it were not in how I was playing happy happy joy joy games like I would on a Nintendo, but more melancholic titles or horrific titles. Especially the music really gave the games some feels and that affected me a lot as a kid, I was pulled into the games more and their maturity level added an extra coolness factor, like I was playing something I wasn't supposed to be playing. But also the fact that a lot of the games did not shy away from showing blood and even gore, or in rare cases sexual acts.

So with that in mind, my "Amiga-definers" are not actually the best games; in fact I think most of them are pretty poor in the gameplay department. Titles which also came out on other platforms, but on those other platforms usually just lack anything that makes them worthwhile to play. But on the Amiga... they made me feel something. And that's why I thought they were cool enough to play whenever I would be tired of playing the top rated games like Turrican.

Obitus, Wrath of the Demon, Beast, Cadaver, It Came From the Desert, Ghost Battle, Elvira. Games like that. If I had to choose a #1 "This is Amiga!" game... probably Wrath of the Demon. Amazing graphics, sound and music which mix cartoony humoristic and gloomy dark fantasy and the intro depicts someone being murdered (and the Amiga version even lingers on the corpse about three times longer than say the PC version...) - it really doesn't get more telltale than that. And boy is it a slog to play, unfortunately. Ever experienced the game over screen in that game? I don't think there has been another game which makes you feel more bad for losing.
Old 06 February 2024, 21:27   #22
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Shadow of the Beast. If I had to limit it to one game.
Ditto. Defender of the Crown would be for the earlier period.
Old 06 February 2024, 21:51   #23
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
For me what really made the Amiga stand apart from other systems was maturity - and by that I mean how several games targeted mature audiences. My childhood memories of it were not in how I was playing happy happy joy joy games like I would on a Nintendo, but more melancholic titles or horrific titles. Especially the music really gave the games some feels and that affected me a lot as a kid, I was pulled into the games more and their maturity level added an extra coolness factor, like I was playing something I wasn't supposed to be playing. But also the fact that a lot of the games did not shy away from showing blood and even gore, or in rare cases sexual acts.

So with that in mind, my "Amiga-definers" are not actually the best games; in fact I think most of them are pretty poor in the gameplay department. Titles which also came out on other platforms, but on those other platforms usually just lack anything that makes them worthwhile to play. But on the Amiga... they made me feel something. And that's why I thought they were cool enough to play whenever I would be tired of playing the top rated games like Turrican.

Obitus, Wrath of the Demon, Beast, Cadaver, It Came From the Desert, Ghost Battle, Elvira. Games like that. If I had to choose a #1 "This is Amiga!" game... probably Wrath of the Demon. Amazing graphics, sound and music which mix cartoony humoristic and gloomy dark fantasy and the intro depicts someone being murdered (and the Amiga version even lingers on the corpse about three times longer than say the PC version...) - it really doesn't get more telltale than that. And boy is it a slog to play, unfortunately. Ever experienced the game over screen in that game? I don't think there has been another game which makes you feel more bad for losing.
You are right about maturity.
When we moved from the Sega Master System to the Amiga 500 Plus, i found myself playing at night and often alone with Shadow of the Beast and Alien Breed and these games were very hard and full of very offensive monsters, that was almost depressing and overwhelming. Even Lotus 2 seems very hard compared to 8 bits racing games. And Another World : where am i - what should i do? No more childish games.
Old 06 February 2024, 21:58   #24
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
You are right about maturity.
When we moved from the Sega Master System to the Amiga 500 Plus, i found myself playing at night and often alone with Shadow of the Beast and Alien Breed and these games were very hard and full of very offensive monsters, that was almost depressing and overwhelming. Even Lotus 2 seems very hard compared to 8 bits racing games. And Another World : where am i - what should i do? No more childish games.
https://oldhol.abime.net/2026
Old 06 February 2024, 23:14   #25
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post

Yeah, but by the time this one came out i became used to fighting aliens on computers
Old 06 February 2024, 23:19   #26
Python1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
Which game you think mainly represents the Amiga?
Any of the existing 3K+ cracktros before loading a game...
Old 07 February 2024, 05:07   #27
stx2199

Defender of the crown is crappy buggy game
if that represent the Amiga, then the Amiga is a disaster

there is no game that represent the Amiga
bur fact is that late games are by far better than the ones produced in 198x

games which represent the Amiga are something like these:

Superfrog
Alien breed series
zool
Another world
Flashback
Chaos engine

all of them not realy Amiga exclusives but Amiga original games
Old 07 February 2024, 07:26   #28
Adropac2
Zone Friend

when I think of Amiga shortly after it first arrived I tend to think of what stood out to me as being better than what the ST could do. That's what made people think maybe they wanted one over an ST of course. In that sense then it was the likes of F18 and King of Chicago that really stood out in a way over the ST. The combination of great graphics but also the sumptuous sound really blew my mind and it was at that point I knew I wanted one

Then you had the likes of the first Speedball which also showed how much better a game can feel when it looked and sounded as good as that did. Swords of Sodan was also one hell of a demo for what Amiga could do and I think most of us by this point wanted one. They used to demo Space Ranger in our Dixons as well and I just remember thinking how much like an arcade the Amiga was, Oh and Marble Madness actually was damn impressive to behold and another great example of the whole visual audio package you got on Amiga over ST

But in terms of what Represents it

Turrican 2 is probably that game but personally it's one of the above

Last edited by Adropac2; 07 February 2024 at 07:33.
Old 07 February 2024, 10:49   #29
RuySan

Turrican 2, Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast, Wings, Sensible World of Soccer, Populous...if I had to limit them as much as possible.

Lionheart would be a great pick if it was more popular. It pulls most Amiga tricks, and looks like the quintessential Amiga game.

Enviado do meu SM-A325F através do Tapatalk
Old 07 February 2024, 13:05   #30
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Lemmings does seem like an obvious pick. It worked especially well on the Amiga (compared to the rather forced mouse-less console ports).

If not Lemmings, then I'd pick another mouse game. Utopia, MegaloMania? Well, why not Scorched Tanks? I think of the Amiga as an hobby dev computer, so picking a PD or shareware title might be appropriate. Scorched Tanks was certainly distinctly made on the Amiga using trackers, DP, AMOS. It's a bit dry in the pixel art department though. It also came out kinda late (94/95)... but hobby devs sticking with the machine for a while was also something quite Amiga I guess.

Another choice which feels very Amiga to me is one of those game collection disks enthusiasts made, featuring a bunch of small PD games (e.g Biplane Duel, CaveRunner, Tron and Frogger clones) and a startup-sequence boot menu as text or .iff image.
Old 07 February 2024, 13:27   #31
DisasterIncarna

I suppose the first "wow" game i saw on the Amiga that stood out to me, even more than the likes of SOTB was Blood Money, not so much for the actual game, but for its intro, the animation+music+intro voice was a big wow moment when id previously only seen C16, C64 and speccy 8k stuff.
Old 07 February 2024, 13:29   #32
S0ulA55a551n

No love for worms. I know its everywhere these days, but to me at least, embodied a lot of what the Amiga was about
Old 07 February 2024, 14:12   #33
Octopus66

Sensible Soccer
Old 07 February 2024, 15:11   #34
Bren McGuire

Lemmings
Old 07 February 2024, 15:47   #35
meynaf
son of 68k

Superfrog
Old 07 February 2024, 15:52   #36
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

If I was demoing my A1200 to somebody who'd never heard of the Amiga, I'd probably show them Alien Breed II AGA as being a representative game for the A1200 from the time. (I know the question wasn't model-specific, but that's my frame of reference).
Old 07 February 2024, 17:25   #37
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
if that represent the Amiga, then the Amiga is a disaster
That's not far from the truth tho...
The Amiga is kind of a disaster...
A wonderful, fun, exciting, successful, failure of a disaster...
Old 07 February 2024, 18:37   #38
Amigajay

The Saddam Hussein Game
Old 07 February 2024, 18:51   #39
CCCP alert

Maybe in terms of what is unique to an Amiga computer game vs console game it would be It Came from the Desert, although not all the artwork in that game is Sachs quality it is as much an experience as just a game if you have the right equipment (proper amp with proper speakers, massive screen that isn't LCD to avoid 'square pixels' effect, warm summer night, ice cold glass of pop/beer etc).

So I guess for all of us it could mean different things but for me it boiled down to what was only possible on Amiga (Beast 1 in that quality) and what could only be released on a lower financial risk disk based unrestricted publishing format such as Amiga and all the advantages the OCS brought to the table.

I do remember being totally impressed with stuff like Battle Squadron and Sword of Sodan, especially 2 player games of Battle Squadron. It's the kind of quality I expected from Ocean/US Gold from my C64 gaming past before I got an Amiga in 87.

Can you imagine what a Jim Sachs AGA update of It Came from the Desert would be like based on his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea demo for CD32 was like (it's on youtube on his channel and he did kindly reply to some questions I had, what a top man).
Old 07 February 2024, 20:22   #40
Amiga Lifestyle

Shadow of the Beast is what they used to sell Amigas in my home town, but for me, it can only be Turrican 2.