English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 21 March 2012, 23:29   #361
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
did you try with cdrom_drive_0 = /dev/sr0 ? it seems to look into cd-rom reader...
Old 22 March 2012, 01:12   #362
PHabermehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
did you try with cdrom_drive_0 = /dev/sr0 ? it seems to look into cd-rom reader...
Yes, I did - no success... Maybe I have to re-try as root...
Old 22 March 2012, 21:44   #363
PHabermehl

No success accessing /dev/sr0, even as root...

Can anybody confrm that it works?
Old 22 March 2012, 22:01   #364
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
not for me ..only iso working ...
Old 23 March 2012, 18:47   #365
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Here's a short progress report on what's coming soon.

Most updates in the coming beta is related to net play (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=809019#post809019), but has some nice stuff for non-net play also:
* better emulation / GUI decoupling - GUI will be responsive even when the emulation does not progress, and the emulator will be able to force-close if necessary.
* ability to specify joystick port mode (for CD32 gamepad on non-CD32 etc)
* documentation for custom/advanced input mapping
Old 23 March 2012, 19:14   #366
hvannentir

Sound buffer underrun

Hi and thanks for this great work.
After some difficulties to find where to put configuration on linux system it's running great except sound.
Log file is full of lines like this :
restarting audio stream 0 (buffer underrun)

This cause crapy sound and, I think, cause the global slowness of the execution.
Any hint about how to fix this ?

EDIT :
Ok seems to be related to video synchronisation. Disabling it make sound work as expected. I suppose that's related to same problem as other users : xrandr/X bad report.

Last edited by hvannentir; 23 March 2012 at 19:21. Reason: New tests results

Old 23 March 2012, 19:30   #367
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvannentir View Post
After some difficulties to find where to put configuration on linux system it's running great except sound.
Log file is full of lines like this :
restarting audio stream 0 (buffer underrun)

This cause crapy sound and, I think, cause the global slowness of the execution.
Any hint about how to fix this ?
It's the opposite: "global slowness of the execution" causes audio buffer underruns

Quote:
EDIT :
Ok seems to be related to video synchronisation. Disabling it make sound work as expected. I suppose that's related to same problem as other users : xrandr/X bad report.
Well, FS-UAE now detects when xrandr is lying, so that in itself should not be the problem I have strugged with a Linux computer with nVIDIA and a custom @50Hz modeline myself, and after a lot of "debugging" found some non-obvious nVIDIA settings which needed to be specified. It now works perfectly for me.

But this is probably only relevant for you if you are running Linux + nvidia (official drivers), and want to run with full sync @50Hz. If so, I'll find the settings I ended up using...

EDIT: please also post log and config
Old 23 March 2012, 20:02   #368
hvannentir

Thanks for the insights

I do actually use linux + nVidia official drivers.
Here the log file without video_sync=off

If you remember nvidia settings you tweaked, I could give it a try.

By the way, is there any way to specify window size ? I cant use fullscreen because of dual screen mode and have a part of fs-uae on each display is not so good for playing.

Old 23 March 2012, 20:38   #369
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the insights

By the way, is there any way to specify window size ? I cant use fullscreen because of dual screen mode and have a part of fs-uae on each display is not so good for playing.
First, regarding window size: There are two undocumented options you can use: window_width window_height
Additionally, you can specify the window position with an environment variable before starting FS-UAE, like so I think:
Code:
export SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=100,50
(coordinates are x, y)

The problem with the nVIDIA drivers is that they can lie about the refresh rate even if DynamicTwinview is disabled (because nVIDIA drivers have a concept of frontend and backend resolution), so it is quite possible you are really running at 60Hz. One way to check this is to run glxgears in a terminal like this:

Code:
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1
glxgears
glxgears will then (after a few seconds) print the actual refresh rate to the console.

I was thinking of writing a guide for Linux/nVIDIA, but I must reboot first to get the config file. (Dual-screen may possibly complicate a bit, or perhaps not).

Have you created a custom mode line for 50Hz? If so, how? -Or was it built-in. Perhaps you can post the output of xrandr and attach your Xorg.conf file?
Old 23 March 2012, 20:47   #370
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the insights

First, regarding window size: There are two undocumented options you can use: window_width window_height
Additionally, you can specify the window position with an environment variable before starting FS-UAE, like so I think:
Code:
export SDL_VIDEO_WINDOW_POS=100,50
(coordinates are x, y)

The problem with the nVIDIA drivers is that they can lie about the refresh rate even if DynamicTwinview is disabled (because nVIDIA drivers have a concept of frontend and backend resolution), so it is quite possible you are really running at 60Hz. One way to check this is to run glxgears in a terminal like this:

Code:
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1
glxgears
glxgears will then (after a few seconds) print the actual refresh rate to the console.

I was thinking of writing a guide for Linux/nVIDIA, but I must reboot first to get the config file. (Dual-screen may possibly complicate a bit, or perhaps not).

Have you created a custom mode line for 50Hz? If so, how? -Or was it built-in. Perhaps you can post the output of xrandr and attach your Xorg.conf file?

EDIT: Downloaded ext2reader, so don't need to reboot: writing a little mini-nVIDIA-howto based on my experiences now.
Old 23 March 2012, 20:54   #371
hvannentir

Thanks very much for the window size configuration. Is this an inheritance of uae configuration ?

I dont have any custom modeline because I don't have any xorg.conf. It runs with full autodetection ( latest Xorg only based on udev ) and nvidia settings.
glxgears report an approximative framerate of 60 so I do run at 60Hz.

It runs great with video_sync off, so I suppose you dont have to bother.

Again thank you for this great work, I allmost ended up with winUEA under wine in order to do some retro gaming ( next step back in time is atari ) because e-eau and puae seemed really buggy or not yet ready to use.

Old 23 March 2012, 21:05   #372
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thanks very much for the window size configuration. Is this an inheritance of uae configuration ?
No, this has nothing to do with original UAE code or configuration. Window size configuration requires a recent FS-UAE beta. (And the position environment variable is an inheritance of using SDL).

Quote:
I dont have any custom modeline because I don't have any xorg.conf. It runs with full autodetection ( latest Xorg only based on udev ) and nvidia settings.
glxgears report an approximative framerate of 60 so I do run at 60Hz.
You cannot use full sync unless you run your display at 50Hz (for PAL games). You can use video_sync=vblank to avoid tearing if you like (this is also the default if you do not specify video_sync).

Quote:
It runs great with video_sync off, so I suppose you dont have to bother.
OK, I will write the guide anyway, because I struggled myself and the findings are not obvious at all -and may be useful for others
Old 23 March 2012, 21:11   #373
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Linux + nVIDIA FAQ - 50hz Display modes

I moved the how-to on 50Hz Display Modes on Linux with nVIDIA Drivers to my web page:
http://fengestad.no/wp/50hz-display-...nvidia-drivers

@hvannentir: The advantage of running the display @50Hz if you can is that you'll be able to get perfect scrolling in Amiga 50Hz games.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 March 2012 at 21:47.
Old 24 March 2012, 01:44   #374
hvannentir

I'll give it a try, I'm curious. Scrolling might be important for pinballl

Old 24 March 2012, 09:04   #375
weiju

Hey Frode,

I just downloaded FS UAE today and it works really great on my 4 years old MacBook Pro - I have it running as an Amiga 1200 and it outperforms my real Amiga 1200/030, it also runs some games that I was not able to run before.

You did some really nice work there, I love how you took advantage of OpenGL and made a cool looking UI. It must have been quite a bit of work to make WinUAE portable, I had looked at the code a couple of years ago, and I thought it was pretty Windows-specific, especially datatype-wise.

Thanks for making this available for multiple platforms.

Wei-ju
Old 24 March 2012, 11:20   #376
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I'll give it a try, I'm curious. Scrolling might be important for pinballl
Pinball Dreams is a very good test for smooth scrolling. Not only the levels, but the intro (with the vertical scrolling credits) and the menu with the horizontally scrolling text are very good to visually confirm whether scrolling is perfectly smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiju View Post
Hey Frode,
I just downloaded FS UAE today and it works really great on my 4 years old MacBook Pro - I have it running as an Amiga 1200 and it outperforms my real Amiga 1200/030, it also runs some games that I was not able to run before.
Great

Quote:
You did some really nice work there, I love how you took advantage of OpenGL and made a cool looking UI. It must have been quite a bit of work to make WinUAE portable, I had looked at the code a couple of years ago, and I thought it was pretty Windows-specific, especially datatype-wise.
You are correct, especially about the datatypes. I would say Toni has done a good job not letting Windows-features leak into the core code, and the datatype incompatibilities is mostly related to the use of TCHAR. (TCHAR is a windows-specific datatype which is either char or whar_t (unicode) depending on build settings).

If you're interested to know, I have tried to keep the original code wherever possible, to more easily me able to merge code from WinUAE. Many issues could be fixed with simple typedefs and defines:
Code:
typedef char TCHAR;
#define _tcsnicmp strncasecmp
#define _timezone timezone
typedef unsigned int DWORD;
(FS-UAE uses only char strings with UTF-8 encoding, never wide strings).

And another problem was that nearly all strings were wide-strings, e.g L"...". I made a minimal C parser and used that to make a program automatically replacing all wide-strings with _T("..."), so _T can be defined to declare normal strings or wide strings. I hope to get this patch into WinUAE so the core code can be easily diffed and merged between WinUAE and FS-UAE. Don't bug Toni about it btw (he has said he will consider it).

But yes, it did take a while to get it compiling and working. But of course, this was only the core emulation code. Code from "od-win32" is not used at all, since this very Windows-specific. Most time has been spent writing new input, audio and video subsystems.

Quote:
Thanks for making this available for multiple platforms.
You're welcome -It was a goal for me to have the same UI / features / experience on all major platforms.

Regarding multiple platforms: The build system is custom-made Makefiles (perhaps I'll convert to autotools or something at one point, but I think I'm a bit allergic to autotools ;-)), and it currently detects either Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. But FS-UAE should (with a few modifications) also be able to work on other Posix systems like FreeBSD.

If anyone wants (say) a FreeBSD version, and would like to be appointed the official FreeBSD beta tester, please let me know and I'll tweak FS-UAE to be buildable on FreeBSD.
Old 25 March 2012, 00:04   #377
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.13beta11

* Can specify joystick port mode (useful for forcing CD32 gamepad emulation on non-CD32 model).
* Overlay GUI "console" displaying chat and emulation warning messages.
* Emulation will now also close when using the quit function, even if the emulation thread is non-responsive.
* FS-UAE continues in offline mode if net play connection is broken.
* FS-UAE continues in offline mode if a desync or other net play error occurs.
* On-screen connection dialog showing when connecting to net play server.
* FS-UAE will keep try connecting until successful or manually aborted by user (net play server can be started after clients are started..)
* On-screen dialog while waiting for net play game to start (waiting for other players...).
* Integrated text chat for net play.
* Net play HUD / status bar can be toggled on/off with the TAB key.
* Support passwords for net play games (option netplay_password).
* Fadeout effect when closing the emulator.
* Some name changes in custom / advanced input mapping.
* Added aliases for Xbox 360 controllers with slightly different names on some Windows systems.

For net play. this version requires that you also update to the latest net play server.
Old 25 March 2012, 05:35   #378
Mequa

Excellent progress - are there any plans to target WinRT Metro (for Windows 8)?
As well as supporting x86, this will be the standard platform for Windows on ARM (may possibly need some jailbreaking when that emerges).

Hopefully WinUAE can also be ported to this platform some day.
Old 25 March 2012, 10:03   #379
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Little issue:
The emulator seems to shut down when the FS-UAE window is minimized (task bar) and then restored
FS-UAE: V0.9.13beta11
Old 25 March 2012, 11:10   #380
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
Excellent progress - are there any plans to target WinRT Metro (for Windows 8)?
As well as supporting x86, this will be the standard platform for Windows on ARM (may possibly need some jailbreaking when that emerges).

Hopefully WinUAE can also be ported to this platform some day.
No, I have no plans for targeting Metro (for the foreseeable future). If you're primarily thinking about FS-UAE on ARM-based tables, I'm more likely to do an Android port at some time (the latter has more in common with the existing platforms, supports OpenGL, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
Little issue:
The emulator seems to shut down when the FS-UAE window is minimized (task bar) and then restored
FS-UAE: V0.9.13beta11
Shut down? Or crash? Could you attach the log/config? I did not manage to reproduce it on my Windows 7 computer, but will try on a Windows XP computer later...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 25 March 2012 at 11:16.