English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 30 August 2012, 22:09   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Can I buy one of these drives? I mean, is there sites that sell drives that I aearch for a particular make etc...
I have ten Sony MPF920-E floppy drives. I have (so far) bought nine from eBay and one was a gift from my good mate fitzsteve (which he got for me from a boot sale). They all work perfectly!
Old 30 August 2012, 22:32   #22
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
So you`d sell me one? or are you telling me to get one off Ebay
Old 30 August 2012, 22:38   #23
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
I assumed that not objecting to those that said it still is meant it is still ok to do so.

While we recommend KryoFlux for certain protections because of the resolution (it will read nearly faulty disks better), the classic dumping tool still works.
Thank you mr. vince!
Old 30 August 2012, 23:10   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
So you`d sell me one? or are you telling me to get one off Ebay
No, I wouldn't sell any of these; they're all in regular use. I was just posting to illustrate where they can be bought.

Those I have bought from eBay were available in quantities of up to four at a time. I have found that sellers who list them in multiple quantities are more reliable. blackmoreit and pgibson1001 are good examples; I have bought several drives (not just Sony MPF920-Es) from both sellers.
Old 30 August 2012, 23:38   #25
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Can I buy one of these drives? I mean, is there sites that sell drives that I aearch for a particular make etc.. or just be lucky my old pc drive will work..
Not off me unfortunately, they are not the sort of thing you get rid off once you have got them.

Just get a couple off eBay, they're cheap enough!
Old 31 August 2012, 00:10   #26
Keir

Quote:
Can I buy one of these drives? I mean, is there sites that sell drives that I aearch for a particular make etc.. or just be lucky my old pc drive will work..
Unless you're quite unlucky, whatever old drive you have lying around will work just fine for dumping. My experience is that Kryoflux isn't that fussy.
Old 31 August 2012, 13:28   #27
stainy
Zone Friend

Just ordered one!
Now it looks like I can dump some of my Psygnosis demo disks, Lemmings demo ( that people were after me doing ) and my Player Manager preview disk ( amongst my Sam Coupe disks )

Looking at the compatibility list of drives.. do I have to worry about max track? or what track it can read up to.. are Amiga disks 80 tracks? so anything over that I`m ok?
Old 31 August 2012, 14:53   #28
Amiga1992

Nice way to derail the thread, boys
Old 31 August 2012, 15:54   #29
Keir

Quote:
Just ordered one!
Now it looks like I can dump some of my Psygnosis demo disks, Lemmings demo ( that people were after me doing ) and my Player Manager preview disk ( amongst my Sam Coupe disks )

Looking at the compatibility list of drives.. do I have to worry about max track? or what track it can read up to.. are Amiga disks 80 tracks? so anything over that I`m ok?
Most drives can do at least 82 cylinders. Very few disk formats go beyond 80 cylinders anyway, and even those that do will only extend to the 81st cylinder in my experience. Get the kryoflux, connect whatever drive you have lying around, 'dtc -c2' will then tell you its maxtrack. And then dump some known good amigados disk to be sure that the drive works well for dumping. If that all works out okay, you are set.

Then if you want to play around with your own dumps, give my mfmparse utility a look (https://github.com/keirf/Amiga-Disk-Utilities)
Old 31 August 2012, 19:39   #30
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nice way to derail the thread, boys
haha, thought this all the time.
Old 31 August 2012, 19:58   #31
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Then if you want to play around with your own dumps, give my mfmparse utility a look
Or, if you like, submit your dumps to SPS and get them preserved properly - and real IPFs in return.
Old 31 August 2012, 20:45   #32
stainy
Zone Friend

Quote:
Or, if you like, submit your dumps to SPS and get them preserved properly - and real IPFs in return.
Yep, I'll be doing this.. Got a bunch of Sam coupe disks too.. I saw on the website they are needed
Old 01 September 2012, 00:45   #33
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
But be prepared to wait At least with kaffers tools you can create your own IPFs to play with while waiting for SPS to process all your dumps and send you the IPFs.
Old 01 September 2012, 00:56   #34
stainy
Zone Friend

Not interested in the ipf`s back... I`ll submit..
I can make adf`s though right?
Old 01 September 2012, 01:25   #35
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Not interested in the ipf`s back... I`ll submit..
I can make adf`s though right?
Yes, but not of any copy protected disks like Copylock or custom MFM formats!! AmigaDOS disks will convert directly to ADF using Kryoflux with the following command: dtc -fstream folder/stream name -i0 -fgame.adf -i5

e.g. dumping a workbench disk: dtc -fworkbench/track_ -i0 -fworkbench.adf -i5 will create dumps of all the tracks from the disk being dumped into folder 'workbench' with the name 'track_00.0.raw, track_00.1.raw, track 01.00.raw, track 01.01.raw' etc and create an ADF called 'workbench.adf' which can be used in WinUAE or written back to disk using Kryoflux: dtc -fworkbench.adf -w -l15

The -i5 parameter tells Kryoflux to expect an Amiga disk image!!
Old 01 September 2012, 09:29   #36
stainy
Zone Friend

Aww ok. But I can image any disk ( copy protected or not ) and submit and get the if back to play on Winuae?
Old 01 September 2012, 12:37   #37
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

ADF is the problem here, not KryoFlux. Many of the standard games have already been dumped so chances are good we already have an IPF of them. Please use the contact form on Softpres.org.
Old 01 September 2012, 15:16   #38
stainy
Zone Friend

Soooooo

Quote:
ADF is the problem here, not KryoFlux. Many of the standard games have already been dumped so chances are good we already have an IPF of them. Please use the contact form on Softpres.org.
I mean for my own use... not submitting to SPS.

Just to clarify.. I can image a copy protected disk, send it to you.. and you send me an .ipf of it in return right?
ALso I can image non protected disks and create .adf`s for my own use ( Winuae, uae4all ) etc??
Old 01 September 2012, 17:50   #39
BarryB
Amigaholic

It's worth checking if SPS have already got an IPF of a game first before submitting by checking this list on the SPS site:

http://www.softpres.org/games

Filter by platform and type in your game to see if it's been preserved!!

If you can't see any games you have then open a ticket to SPS for contributing your games, they could have a dump of it but not an IPF yet.

Also, as stated, Kryoflux will create ADFs from your disks using the command line I posted.