Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 11 March 2012, 01:47   #281
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
"When you start FS-UAE, the current directory is set to /home/foul:"

Why not "/home/foul/FS-UAE/" by default

Kickstarts are supposed to be in FS-UAE/Kickstarts/ but by default, if i set :

kickstart_file = kick31.rom

it only select kick31.rom from /home/foul/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/Kickstarts/
Old 11 March 2012, 02:22   #282
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
"When you start FS-UAE, the current directory is set to /home/foul:"

Why not "/home/foul/FS-UAE/" by default
I know what you mean -The thing is "current working directory" is set to /home/foul by the system, not FS-UAE, and relative paths are supposed to be relative to this. (What the current working directory is set to is decided by the system, and is dependent on how you start FS-UAE. It does not always have to be /home/foul).

Quote:
Kickstarts are supposed to be in FS-UAE/Kickstarts/ but by default, if i set :
kickstart_file = kick31.rom
it only select kick31.rom from /home/foul/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/Kickstarts/
"FS-UAE/Kickstarts" is currently only used to automatically pick the kickstart rom if "kickstart_file" is *not* specified. If kickstart_file is specified, the file must be an solute path or relative to the current working directory.

I understand you confusion, and I agree that while FS-UAE works as I intended, the current behavior (with relative paths) is easily misunderstood.

I am considering making changes to FS-UAE to improve this, but I have to think this through, since such changes will probably break some configurations, and if I have to make changes which breaks backwards compatibility, it'd better be good (I am generally trying to avoid breaking compatibility with earlier releases, but for the record, until version 1.0.0, I reserve the right to make incompatible changes )

Using relative paths in configuration files is generally a good idea -makes them more portable across computers, and save states becomes more portable as well.

EDIT: I will probably make FS-UAE look for relative paths in a list of directories (including the current working directory) and resolve these manually to absolute paths in FS-UAE. If I do this properly, it should also play nicely with (Win)UAE save state code, which I discovered already supports looking for floppies (etc) in a list of directories when restoring state.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 11 March 2012 at 02:49.
Old 11 March 2012, 02:54   #283
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuj View Post
At the moment fs-uae makes adf files writeable (rw-r--r--) seemingly whether it needs to or not. Since it uses sdf files for writing anyway couldn't it just leave permissions untouched? I always set them read-only (r--r--r--), seems sensible
)
The function diskfile_readonly does indeed change permissions. I will #ifdef away this code for the next FS-UAE version (so it does not run chmod on the files).
Old 11 March 2012, 18:37   #284
Gaula92

Is it possible to compile fs-uae without openAL? I'm re-building my Gentoo minimal system for emulation and games, and I'd like to avoid using unnecessary libraries... why not just direct ALSA? Or an option to build on ALSA at least

thanks!
Old 11 March 2012, 18:46   #285
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Is it possible to compile fs-uae without openAL? I'm re-building my Gentoo minimal system for emulation and games, and I'd like to avoid using unnecessary libraries... why not just direct ALSA? Or an option to build on ALSA at least
Because it is more work to write code for both OpenAL and ALSA, than just OpenAL alone. Merely reducing a dependency on a shared library isn't a good enough reason for me to spend many hours writing additional (unecessary) audio code. Of course, since FS-UAE is open source, anyone who wants to, can code direct ALSA support.
Old 11 March 2012, 18:50   #286
Gaula92

Understood, Sir!

Souch a great emulator deserves a new library on-board anyway :P
Old 11 March 2012, 21:00   #287
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.13alpha1

Here is an early alpha release!

* Menu function to swap input device and type.
* Support floppy images in ADZ format (zipped ADF).
* Support floppy images in DMS format.
* Resolve relative paths by looking in a set of directories.
* Also look for floppies in new FS-UAE/Floppies directory.
* Also Look for CD-ROMs in new FS-UAE/CD-ROMs directory.
* Also Look for hard drive images in new FS-UAE/hard Drives directory.
* Also look for named kickstarts in FS-UAE/Kickstarts directory.
* Do not change permissions on ADF files when inserted into floppy drives.

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...a2-windows.zip
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...ha2-0_i386.deb
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...a2-0_amd64.deb
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...3alpha2.tar.gz

Quote:
...it only select kick31.rom from /home/foul/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/ and not from /home/foul/FS-UAE/Kickstarts/
This version should hopefully work like you (and everyone else) expect

Quote:
.dms too ?
Alright then, but I haven't tested it -I delegate this task to you

Regarding the new input menu: While it allows you to map a host joystick to amiga mouse (and vice versa), this does not work yet. Host mouse must be combined with amiga mouse, and a host joystick with amiga joystick (You'll understand what I mean when you see the menu).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 12 March 2012 at 00:00. Reason: Updated to alpha2 (minor changes only)
Old 11 March 2012, 22:39   #288
Gaula92

I'm having a very strange problem on Gentoo.
I got fs-uae to compile successfully, but if I move ior copy the resulting executable to a custom directory (/home/manuel/amiga, for example) and the O try to execute it, I get a segfault.

However, I can run it sucessfully from the out directory: strange... but I don't know how to fix it. Never encountered a progran behaving this way.

thanks
Old 11 March 2012, 23:15   #289
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I'm having a very strange problem on Gentoo.
I got fs-uae to compile successfully, but if I move ior copy the resulting executable to a custom directory (/home/manuel/amiga, for example) and the O try to execute it, I get a segfault.

However, I can run it sucessfully from the out directory: strange... but I don't know how to fix it. Never encountered a progran behaving this way.

thanks
It's because it does not find it's data files. Some more error checking (good idea anyway) would prevent the segfault, but it wouldn't work properly anyway.

Run "make install" to install the data files and it will work.
Old 12 March 2012, 05:40   #290
smuj

Quote:
Just copy the "share" directory into ~/amiga with fs-uae if you don't want to make install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The function diskfile_readonly does indeed change permissions. I will #ifdef away this code for the next FS-UAE version (so it does not run chmod on the files).
Thanks, works fine in the alpha
Old 12 March 2012, 10:02   #291
PHabermehl

Hello Frode,

Again Thanks for your effort! You're doing an amazing job :-) and the input config menu is highly apreciated, at least by us (maybe you could move it a little down in the menu hierarchy to clean up the main menu?).

One thing I just found with the 0.9.13alpha2: When having configured an "empty" floppy drive, fs-uae crashes/shuts down:

Code:
fs-uae: xcb_io.c:140: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `req == dpy->xcb->pending_requests' failed.
Abgebrochen
Before, fs-uae just started up fine and the "Amiga" showed the boot floppy screen and waited for a floppy (adf) to be inserted.

Well, maybe it's just coincidence that it fails on empty floppy, but there seems to be a problem anyway - let me know if I could help debugging.

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited by PHabermehl; 12 March 2012 at 10:09.
Old 12 March 2012, 19:05   #292
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHabermehl View Post
Hello Frode, Again Thanks for your effort! You're doing an amazing job :-) and the input config menu is highly apreciated, at least by us (maybe you could move it a little down in the menu hierarchy to clean up the main menu?).
Hi! -I put it at the top to make it easier for me to test it while developing, and I forgot to move it down again afterwards

Quote:
One thing I just found with the 0.9.13alpha2: When having configured an "empty" floppy drive, fs-uae crashes/shuts down:
I have not been able to reproduce this. Can you check whether this happens every time for you? Posting config/logs may help, and it would be nice if you can figure out the minimum config which makes it crash. Thanks.
Old 12 March 2012, 21:18   #293
PHabermehl

Hi Frode, some feedback:

Quote:
Hi! -I put it at the top to make it easier for me to test it while developing, and I forgot to move it down again afterwards
Sorry for implying that this chaos was intended

Quote:
I have not been able to reproduce this. Can you check whether this happens every time for you? Posting config/logs may help, and it would be nice if you can figure out the minimum config which makes it crash. Thanks.
Okay, here we go: Stupid me configured: "floppy_drive_0 = empty" which worked all the time...
Now I changed the config to "# floppy_drive_0 = whatever" i.e. commented it out - now fs-uae starts up and presents the boot-screen

My next question: how do I configure two (or three or four) "empty" drives?

Ah, and regarding the mouse - joystick - port 0 - left click issue:
Configuring port 0 as joystick works when using my competition pro; I can use the fire button to skip the antivirus bootblock.
But when I use my gamepad in port 0, "fire" does not work to simulate the lmb click...
So it must be something with the gamepad config:
Code:
[amiga]
axis_0_neg = left
axis_0_pos = right
axis_1_neg = up
axis_1_pos = down
button_2 = 1
button_3 = 2
button_1 = 1
button_0 = 2
button_4 = left
button_5 = right

[amigacd32]
axis_0_neg = left
axis_0_pos = right
axis_1_neg = up
axis_1_pos = down
button_2 = red
button_3 = green
button_0 = yellow
button_1 = blue
button_8 = select
button_9 = play
button_4 = rewind
button_5= forward

[menu]
axis_0_neg = left
axis_0_pos = right
axis_1_neg = up
axis_1_pos = down
button_8 = menu
button_2 = primary
button_3 = secondary
button_1 = back
button_0 = tertiary
button_4 = up
button_5 = down
button_9 = play
Any idea?

Thank you again and sorry for stealing your time...

-----and some edit-----

I just used 0.9.13a2 input mapping menu to map the gamepad to port 0 and guess what - it works as expected, pressing the fire button skips the boot menu. Strange since it was really an issue before...

Peter

Last edited by PHabermehl; 12 March 2012 at 21:36.
Old 13 March 2012, 07:03   #294
smuj

Quote:
My next question: how do I configure two (or three or four) "empty" drives?
Just put:
Code:
floppy_drive_0 =
floppy_drive_1 =
floppy_drive_2 =
into your fs-uae.conf.
Old 13 March 2012, 09:14   #295
PHabermehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuj View Post
Just put:
Code:
floppy_drive_0 =
floppy_drive_1 =
floppy_drive_2 =
into your fs-uae.conf.

naturally...

Thanks, smuj. Again, could have figured out myself........

Best regards,
Peter
Old 13 March 2012, 10:38   #296
Foul

i'm playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the moment. I got it in adf (11x floppies) or one .hdf, but if i use hdf, i can't use save states, when i save one, fs-uae simply quit... :\

By the way, you can add in next version : mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv.ini

# Device: mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv

[device]
name = Xbox 360 Controller
type = joystick/gamepad

[default]
include = common/gamepad

is there a way to add windows/fullscreen ingame option ? like aspect button, boring to quit if i want just to put up/down sound volume

Last edited by Foul; 13 March 2012 at 15:47.
Old 13 March 2012, 17:25   #297
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
i'm playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the moment. I got it in adf (11x floppies) or one .hdf, but if i use hdf, i can't use save states, when i save one, fs-uae simply quit... :\
I have tried to get FS-UAE to crash when using HDs and save states, but it does not crash for me (I have got reports from others having the same problem, so I believe there is a problem!). Could you post your config file and log?

Quote:
By the way, you can add in next version : mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv.ini

# Device: mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv

[device]
name = Xbox 360 Controller
type = joystick/gamepad

[default]
include = common/gamepad

I would love to, but this couldn't possible work without some button/axis/hat mappings under [default] (part of file missing?)

Quote:
is there a way to add windows/fullscreen ingame option ? like aspect button, boring to quit if i want just to put up/down sound volume
On most platforms, You should be able to use ALT+Tab (On Windows, or when fullscreen window mode (the default) is used on Linux/Mac).

I am planning to support ALT+Enter for swithing between fullscreen/window mode, but it is a bit tedious to do because on Windows/SDL the OpenGL context is destroyed (textures must be recreated etc), so I haven't implemented this yet. Also, resizable window and more window options (decoration on/off, size) is planned.
Old 13 March 2012, 17:27   #298
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I just used 0.9.13a2 input mapping menu to map the gamepad to port 0 and guess what - it works as expected, pressing the fire button skips the boot menu. Strange since it was really an issue before...
The only reason I can think of is that the device added to port 0 was mis-spelled (or something), so pressing fire did not really do anything. When selecting the device using the menu, the device would be configured correctly, and therefore the fire button worked (...).
Old 13 March 2012, 18:03   #299
Foul

Quote:
Could you post your config file and log?
files attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt Default.fs-uae.txt (683 Bytes, 168 views)
File Type: txt FS-UAE.log.txt (35.8 KB, 172 views)
Old 13 March 2012, 20:14   #300
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
files attached
Thank you Got a pointer there in the log file (the null value for volume name) I managed to reproduce it on both Mac and Linux, but it "accidentally" works on Windows. It looks like a bug in (Win)UAE actually, but is easily fixed. Just going to read the code more thoroughly first.

The problem could be traced back to my implementation of uutf8 not checking for null pointer in input parameter.

Toni has also warned that save states are not generally safe to use with HDFs:
Quote:
Note that HDF statefiles are not safe to use because nothing guarantees hdf not being modified after statefile has been created. Restore may appear to work but things can get really bad when program attempts to write again..

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 13 March 2012 at 22:40.