English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2012, 03:23   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Amiga stuff What do you reckon of remakes

Hi all..

What do you all think of Amiga remake of games today? And does this affect how you use your Real Amiga today, if you still had it. Or have you switched to emulation and rely on that.... Also, if used, do you use the emulation any more, about the same, or less than your PC now-a-days.

E.g Anyone that has an iPad,, look at Grunts (Canon Folder rip-off), or Caveman 2 HD (Lemmings rip-off). they changed it soo much, its no longer the game I grew up with.. Plus,SOny is still got the copyright of Lemmings, but Cavemen? come on .

I'm curious as to the AMiga community now, how big it actually is today worldwide. And how popular it really is, or just the fact that its still thriving due to emulation alone (including hardware emulated)

The reason why, is I used to, have an Amiga 500, amiga mags and all AR cartridge and GVP 20MB hard drive.

However, now i have a PC, and the fact that I can go "back* for the most part thanks to emulation, troubles me..... as I'm starting to think its just not the same without the real hardware. On the flip side, however, all of real hardware is becoming scarce anyway, so I guess at one point, i'll have no choice. *shrugs* But still wanna re-live all my Commodore days (Not only the Amiga but also C64)
Old 15 February 2012, 11:12   #2
Photon

My opinion is that it has always been the case that game devs are selling their talents short if they make a clone. Now or in 1987. If you can make a clone, you can make a just as good but different game. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be inspired by great things you like in games. I think Worms is a perfect example. I'm sure they were inspired by Lemmings and started by making their own landscaping routines, and it grew into something with an all new and better gameplay!

And as with remixes, remakes are more of the same. The question that needs to be answered is: if you liked the original so much, why do you need more of the same and why is the original somehow not good enough anymore.

Retro remakes (ie. emulating the retro style as well) make even less sense to me. I don't mind so much if the game is a spinoff for modern hardware, but if it doesn't offer some advantage like nicer gameplay or more levels or something, then you *just* want to replace the hardware. And then you need to explain what you dislike about the old hardware - and if you don't dislike it - what you are doing playing the same software on a new platform.

If someone is looking to make a remake, I can see 3D games getting just a facelift and nothing else; they often didn't benefit from an accelerator on Amiga so most of them are still nice to play but ass slow even on 68060.
Old 15 February 2012, 13:32   #3
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Take Monkey Island 2.... a classic game on the amiga, or Ginana sisters.

These have make the remakes in GS HD and Monkey island two with speech and 3D graphics on the PC and iPad.

I would probably play these *updated* versions instead of the AMiga ones, coz ya they are sligher better/more enjoyable, and they didn't really change that huge a difference.

However. games like Lemmings, I'd prefer as this makes more sense.. the graphics was (and still is) the origional, but only to a point.. Make more changes like graphics, sound, introuce more effects (or different) ones and its no longer "the origional"...

Plus, this is also way Amiga is good. the catching tunes of Soccer kid, or Giana Sisters, but the extra/different levels introuced later on is also great too.

I guess there is a point by the limit of "how much change can you make, before its becomes... no longer interesting"