English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 06 December 2006, 02:33   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Exclamation Dr. Plummet, #2132 - modified highscore detected

Hi,

I was about sure SPS team is working extremely accurately when it comes to unmodified versions, but this one seems to have slipped into the collection with a modified highscore!

I've (ADF-)dumped my ORIGINAL I recently acquired and voilĂ , the highest highscore is 10,000 and not an unusual 16,200!

So I'd claim my disk to be more original than yours!
Should need a redump then, shouldn't it?

ADF is in the zone for you guys to give it a quick check. Offset is $14214 ff. (file 'BestScores' on cylinder 7).

[edit] Hmm...hold on. The question is whether the one dumped for SPS happens to be a MicroIllusions retail original or not! Probably the UK release by CDS? Mine has not (yet) been dumped for HOL and has a lemon-yellow label, and the serial number WD-MI55-04.
Probably other versions have this modified highscore, while the retail version does not?

Last edited by andreas; 06 December 2006 at 02:52.
Old 08 December 2006, 23:14   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

If I recall correctly, this is one of the games that I submitted a dump of, though whether it was THE dump that the release came from or not, I of course couldn't say. Since I'm in the US, it would have been an NTSC version.

If I'm not mistaken, part of the process that SPS goes through is to verify that the dump was taken from a disk which was never written to in any way since being copied onto a diskette from the "master" copy, and no SPS release goes out unless it passes that test. This doesn't (I don't think) ensure that the master copy itself wasn't written to since the first production run, and this could explain the difference. SPS once verified for me that a dump I had submitted to them was an unmodified disk from a production run created from a virus-infected master disk using this method, so that seems like the most likely explanation to me.

By the way, I don't believe that the SPS folks will be able to determine from an adf dumped version of a disk whether that disk had been written to or not since being produced from the master. The information they use to perform that check can only come from a dump produced by the SPS dumping tool, and these are the only types of dumps they ever use to create ipf's.