English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 30 November 2004, 22:11   #1
ThermalRunaway

Problems with WHDLoad

I've only recently begun to play around with WHDload but I seem to have a problem getting it to work. On my main Amiga, which is a hacked to the teeth fully loaded A1200PPC system, everything works fine - I'm able to install and play games installed to the HD using WHDload without a problem.

I also installed WHDLoad on the Amiga upstairs which is a fairly basic desktop A1200 with a Blizzard 68030 and an internal HD. The install went fine without complaints, but when I attempt to install a game using WHDLoad it runs the install script, asks me where I want to install the game, copies the game start icons and text files across, then it finishes the installation without asking me for the game disks and without installing any of the required data! If I then go to launch the game I get complaints because data is missing.

Anyone else had this problem? My main Amiga which has a working install is running OS3.9, my upstairs Amiga is running OS3.1

Thanks

Old 01 December 2004, 10:17   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Post Split from Amiga WHDLoad Games NOVEMBER 2004 Update topic and moved to project.WHDLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed57
I would suguest that thermal runway check outthe FAQ's about setting up whd load as it will probably be resolved in the 3.1 version config.Its allways worth doing a search through old posts using the EAB engine as many issues have already been answered in GREAT depth
Old 01 December 2004, 20:52   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Can you please post some more information - eg. which version of Installer you are using, if you have any hacks like hackdisk.device running, and some of the games you have tried installing.

I would also download a game of each install type and try them - one that uses DIC, one that uses RawDIC and one that copies standard files to see if it's a special problem with one install type. Examples you can try (just to see if they prompt you for the disks) are:

Cavemania (has a RawDIC installer and a std-files installer - the cracked version)
Guardian Angel (has a DIC installer)
Old 05 September 2005, 18:14   #4
Styx

I can´t install some whdload games (for example star treck 25th... and pinball illusions). After I typed lha x programs:filename.lha hd-games: it extrats the installer files to hd-games folder. But when I open it there is no shortcut to click at.
Old 05 September 2005, 19:59   #5
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Install the latest xad package (available from aminet) and use the xadUnFile command from the shell...
Old 05 September 2005, 20:21   #6
Styx

Uh. There is like dozens of xad named files. Which one is the right one?
Old 06 September 2005, 00:16   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I don't think XAD has anything to do with your problem. Have you tried the old "view all files" option in workbench? Some of Jeff's installers do not have a drawer icon so you are probably getting stuck there. "View all files" will make the drawer magically appear.

Any installer that does not ask for disks is probably a buggy install script, or you are using a really old installer in c: or sys:

Try and install one of the games I mentioned above and see if they prompt for the disks (even if you don't have the games) - if they work, then the install script is broken and you should submit a bug report on the whdload site for the faulty installs.
Old 06 September 2005, 13:55   #8
Styx

@Codetapper

It might be that xad package. The readmefile of the whdload installer says it does need that.
I was looking at aminet. Is it this one? "This archive contains 68000, 68020 and 68040 optimised versions of the bzip2 client for Dirk Stoecker's XAD system "

I don´t want to install the wrong software thats why I ask.
Old 06 September 2005, 15:17   #9
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Get either xadmaster000.lha or xadmaster020.lha and install that.
Old 06 September 2005, 18:09   #10
Styx

@Duke
got it. Tnx. Star Trek is working now

@Codetapper
it worked for Pinball Illusions. tnx. I fell kinda silly not knowing of that option...

Last edited by Styx; 06 September 2005 at 18:31.
Old 20 September 2005, 19:01   #11
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

ah ok... sorry... i misread your post... codetapper was right...