Old 09 October 2023, 07:47   #242
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Let me put it this way: I should nag Cody to make some HOL t-shirts
Old 09 October 2023, 08:04   #243
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
This one comes from the old, now defunct e-shop that Kim Lemon set in 2005. So basically it is a relict. So am I, anyway.

Back to topic - we already have a new player in the Aquabyss online chart (you are listed only if your score is already good enough). I am glad for this.
Old 26 October 2023, 15:12   #244
Adropac2
Zone Friend

very impressed by this. Is the only way of owning the game if you install while connected using your Amiga or via emulation or have I got this wrong? I mean fine but couldn't you just make a hdf of that anyway and so anyone could pirate it this way

Just asking as it seems this will likely deter some that might happily make a purchase
Old 26 October 2023, 16:45   #245
spudje

No when you buy it you can also download a full lha, with all game data in there. However they regularly release updates for it, which are easiest installed via an internet connection.
Old 26 October 2023, 16:50   #246
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
No when you buy it you can also download a full lha, with all game data in there. However they regularly release updates for it, which are easiest installed via an internet connection.
ah smashing thanks, I shall make a purchase this weekend. Cheers for that
Old 26 October 2023, 23:27   #247
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Adding to spudje's comment, the quickest and easiest way to get the _very_ regular updates is via internet connection, BUT the team releases full version with all the updates combined regularly on there server, so you can still play the latest version even if your Amiga is never online.

You could also install it in WinUAE or the like (and on Amiga), get the current version/update via internet connection there and transfer the whole game from WinUAE to your Amiga. But not sure whether that's worth it.
Old 07 November 2023, 00:11   #248
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydos View Post
Adding to spudje's comment, the quickest and easiest way to get the _very_ regular updates is via internet connection, BUT the team releases full version with all the updates combined regularly on there server, so you can still play the latest version even if your Amiga is never online.
ah I was wondering just that actually if they did this. Thanks
Old 03 December 2023, 10:16   #249
AgedCode
Game Developer

Ahoy Captains!

Many AQUABYSS players have become so accustomed to the frequent updates that they have started asking if the game has stopped being developed since there has been none for several weeks
We're happy to announce that a month since the last update, a huge new update (0.97.00) has been released bringing a ton of new features. It includes many things that players have been asking for (always with the prefix Vox Populi in the changelog) and a few bonuses from the studio. One of the most important new features is the ability to invite an NPC (merchant) to fight together against pirates! With proper planning, you can invite more than one (a maximum of five including the player) to join the team. A little sneak peek:

The full list of changes can be found at this link.

Enjoy and see you in the depths of AQUABYSS!

PS If you want to see what the in-game combat looks like, you can watch this video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AgedCode; 03 December 2023 at 12:35.
Old 03 December 2023, 11:53   #250
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I think it should be "Let's *sink* those skelms"..
Old 03 December 2023, 12:00   #251
AgedCode
Game Developer

You are right! Thanks for reporting.
Old 04 December 2023, 02:32   #252
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ AgedCode

Thanks for the great news
Old 04 December 2023, 04:03   #253
Pyromania

Very nice update!
Old 04 December 2023, 09:43   #254
AgedCode
Game Developer

Thanks, captains! Doing our best to make the game always attractive and rewarding
There are a few more thick parts coming soon
Old 15 December 2023, 21:26   #255
sokolovic

Thinking of buying this game as an auto xmas present. Is it playable offline ? Because my A1200 isn't connected to the internet and I don't plan to connect it. Are the updates available if you buy a copy of the game and update it via a cf card ?
Old 16 December 2023, 09:29   #256
DaMi

When you buy the game, you get, among other things, the access to the ftp server where the installation floppy disk is located, but also the whole game, which can be downloaded, unpacked and played. The game has frequent updates though, your best option would be to install it in fs-uae or winuae with an internet connection, install it from the AQBInstall installation floppy and then move the whole installation to your amiga. From time to time you would want to repeat this and just copy from the older version to the new game position. The game is constantly evolving quite actively, there are a lot of new features and it would be a pity to miss out on them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquabyss.png
Views:	39
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	81052
Old 16 December 2023, 09:32   #257
AgedCode
Game Developer

(I see DaMi just replied but I'll post it anyway)

Yes, the game can be played offline like any other Amiga game. Going online is optional and not required.

How to update the game
There are several methods. Some prefer to use an emulator ( e.g. WinUAE) to update the game and copy it to the Amiga. Others download the whole package (Lha or Lzx) from the shop or FTP. But only the game updated (or downloaded using the online installer) from the server is up to date - the shop and FTP usually have some older version. Once the current version has been sufficiently tested by online users, it lands in the shop and on FTP.
All updates are free.

If you still have other questions or if something is still unclear, feel free to ask.

You may also join our official Discord server and get live support from there.

Last edited by AgedCode; 16 December 2023 at 09:39.
Old 21 May 2024, 22:41   #258
klx300r

Question

@ AgedCode

I'm using an Indivision AGA-MK2cr, when I boot my A1200 into PAL mode to play AquaByss and for some reason when entering a citys trade/contracts screen it switches from a PAL screen to a NTSC screen which cuts off the bottom of the screen ? I tried booting into NTSC and same issue?

Any idea how to avoid this happening

FYI, Jens response over at icomp forum:

"Indivision AGA MK2 (and MK2cr) will switch between screen modes based on the mode that the A1200 is sending out. If the frequency is "TV-like", but the number of lines isn't enough for PAL, it will assume it's NTSC.

I'd assume that this specific game is messing with the number of lines that it produces, and Indivision will make a wrong decision based on the non-standard output. You're the first to report this after more than 12 years since the product has been released, so it may just be the version of the game that you're running. You may be lucky and find a different (maybe patched) version that fixes this.

Indivision AGA MK3 has the option to change the "number of lines" criterion for every screen mode, and it will also display the number of lines that it finds on the OSD. We could use this to get to gather some data on the game itself, but it will only support my assumption of the cause, not provide a fix for you."
Old 22 May 2024, 09:36   #259
AgedCode
Game Developer

Ahoy Captain,

I'm clarifying the behaviour of the contracts window and the overall screen layout.

Contracts Window
  • The contracts window doesn't open a separate screen.
  • Instead, it overlays either the city view or the market screen, depending on where you open it.

Contracts window blitted on the main screen:

Contracts window blitted on the Market location (different than the main screen):

Screen Layout
  • The game uses a maximum of 260 display lines.
  • This isn't a single screen, but rather a combination of two or three depending on your location.
  • The main screen is 320x256 pixels and starts at the 42nd line vertically.
  • Another screen slides up from the bottom (260th line) on mouse hover. This screen contains tabs like cargo, contracts, tasks, items, network, and logbook.

This is how it is presented visually:

The following screenshot shows the market but all other locations (shipyard, police, bar and docks) are displayed the same way:

Summary
  • If we disregard the number of screens then we'll get a screen of 320 x 260 pixels.

I hope this information will help you make the correct settings in your Indivision. Let us know the result.

Last edited by AgedCode; 22 May 2024 at 16:22. Reason: Updated with the correct data
Old 23 May 2024, 17:47   #260
klx300r

@ AgedCode

thanks for the info I'll pass this info onto Jens and report back if/when I get this sorted out

Last edited by klx300r; 23 May 2024 at 17:54.