English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 January 2024, 13:17   #1
Zarnal

Small problem with Prometheus + Virge [PCI] [S3].

During the holidays, I did some tests with Virge [PCI] [S3].
With Grex and Mediator, no problem, 2D works well.

With Prometheus, nothing happens, the card is not recognized by P96mode after installation.

If I click directly on Devs/Monitor/Prometheus, nothing happens (Nothing special with SnoopDos).

The Prometheus s3Virge Prometheus drivers are present. The rom also (s3virge.rom). PrmScan sees the card clearly.

To reproduce:

Standard installation of Workbench 3.1 (or 3.9).
Installation of Prometheus drivers with P96 2.1b ("Prometheus").
then Update with version 2.5.

Thank you.
?
Attached Files
File Type: uae Prometheus-S3Virge(PCI)-A4000-3.1.uae (12.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 05 January 2024, 00:02   #2
pipper

Which firmware are you using? Try a later version of prometheus.library and prometheus.card.
@Hedeon 's latest libraries should definitely support it.
Also, please post the exact code you can see on the chip. There are quite a few different versions of the Virge and we may not properly cover the device ID of your card/chip.
Old 05 January 2024, 09:07   #3
Zarnal

The firmware used is that present in WinUae.
The exact name in PrmScan is 86C325 Virge3D GUI Accelerator.
Device class 03 Subclass 00
Driver: none ( Prometheus.card and S3Virge.chip are present in Libs/Picasso96 ).
I've tried with various versions (CD, Update 2.5 and more recent v3 but i don't know if its Hedeon's versions ).
Do you have a link for these Hedeon versions please. Thank you.
Old 05 January 2024, 20:15   #4
pipper

I noticed too late that the original question was about emulating a Prometheus setup in WinUAE.
I just attempted to reproduced the setup in WinUAE4.10 and it didn't work. While my prometheus.card driver recognized the virtual S3Virge, the screen just goes black when it tries to initialize the Virge chip.
I don't know if this ever was tested to work. That would be a question to Toni Wilen.
I know this setup works on real hardware.
Old 05 January 2024, 20:29   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Probably best if you create minimal bootable HDF with everything preinstalled (+config file) and send me pm with download url. Too many variables otherwise.
Old 05 January 2024, 22:55   #6
pipper

I sent Toni a PM with virtual A3000 setup plus Prometheus and S3Virge.
Old 06 January 2024, 11:02   #7
Zarnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Probably best if you create minimal bootable HDF with everything preinstalled (+config file) and send me pm with download url. Too many variables otherwise.
It's done.
Old 21 January 2024, 10:29   #8
pipper

For everybody who wonders what came if it: the Prometheus + Virge3D setup works IN WinUAE. One just needs to enable a second monitor emulation in WinUAE - a feature long present but I just never knew about.
Thanks to Toni helping debugging this!
Old 21 January 2024, 11:27   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is no need for multi monitor mode (which is nicer when testing things but not that useful when only using RTG modes), simply press END+F9 to switch between monitors.

This config switches to blank RTG screen because PCI card has active video, even when it isn't really active display. UAE uses video state to detect which monitor is the active one when RTG card does not have built-in video switcher. (Any monitor switches from inactive to active video -> switch to that monitor)
Old 21 January 2024, 12:40   #10
Zarnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
For everybody who wonders what came if it: the Prometheus + Virge3D setup works IN WinUAE. One just needs to enable a second monitor emulation in WinUAE - a feature long present but I just never knew about.
Thanks to Toni helping debugging this!
Are you using OpenPCI ?

I use the standard Prometheus installation with original CD + updates + P96). And nothing happens.
Old 22 January 2024, 07:26   #11
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
For everybody who wonders what came if it: the Prometheus + Virge3D setup works IN WinUAE.

What does that mean?? I'm attempting to get my virtual A4000 & PPC/WOS to function exactly or close to my real A4000 CSPPC with Warp3D. I don't mind if PCI replaces Z2 or Z3 stuff. I'm looking to be able to play all standard OCS/ECS/AGA and 3D stuff within WinUAE as I did in the 90's..minus the hacks (Thanks WHDLoad team!!).

So, are 3D games such as WipEout 2097, Paypack WOS, and so on working correctly that way? Is that what ViRGE3D setup works means?

Thanks.