English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 January 2019, 17:25   #61
Welshieinnz

Erm, this thread got derailed pretty quickly.

I’m looking forward to getting the V4, being able to mod a case for it and have a nice, powerful Amiga I can take around with me.

I hope others will support this great team as well.
Old 24 January 2019, 17:30   #62
ShK

How nice it would be, unfortunately it is not possible to use WinUAE for dev. Even RTG driver uses AMMX nowadays and Pamela has 8ch, etc. I think this Windows discussion is done now.
Old 24 January 2019, 17:30   #63
Welshieinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
The comparisons are clear, the tests prove it, WinUAE is much faster and performer and has a very high compatibility with all the ChipSets, Vampire currently does not meet these requirements, maybe he will have them in the future.
With the Vampire try to run Games and Demo AGA both HD version and WHDLoad and you'll see the compatibility percentage, then try to run heavy games like Quake 2 and Quake 3 and then we'll talk.

Try doing this with the Vampire (same quality and speed):

WinuUAE AfA-OS [ Show youtube player ]

WinuUAE Quake3: [ Show youtube player ]

WinuUAE Quake2: [ Show youtube player ]
I dunno, the frame rate on quake looks pretty bleak. The other elements do look good though.

Here’s quake and quake 2 on the vampire: [ Show youtube player ]

Also, quake 2 on an A600 with a vampire 2 running quake: [ Show youtube player ]

This one is great. It’s an A500 with vampire 2 running Max OS and then playing dark forces at an awesome frame rate: [ Show youtube player ]

I’d say the frame rate was better on the vampire version.
Old 24 January 2019, 17:57   #64
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieinnz View Post
Also, quake 2 on an A600 with a vampire 2 running quake
You missed a detail, on the Vampire there is a low resolution grainy, in my video Quake 2 has a resolution 1024x768 (you can go further) with the maximum detail, look at it well

Quote:
This one is great. It’s an A500 with vampire 2 running Max OS and then playing dark forces at an awesome frame rate
Do not touch this button because on WinUAE and OS3.9, MacOS 8.x runs much faster same thing for PC emulation, see video:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 January 2019, 18:16   #65
Welshieinnz

Quote:
You missed a detail, on the Vampire there is a low resolution grainy, in my video Quake 2 has a resolution 1024x768 (you can go further) with the maximum detail, look at it well

Do not touch this button because on WinUAE and OS3.9, MacOS 8.x runs much faster same thing for PC emulation, see video:
[ Show youtube player ]

The A600 may be grainy but its fast and playable. The Quake 3 video you posted was not playable at all. Also, the problem with software emulation is that it does bug out more often.

Also, what spec was the PC to begin with? If it's a $1k+ machine, then it's really a different aspect entirely.

Look, I don't want to get into a heated discussion here. My original post wasn't to bash WinUAE at all; I use it pretty much every day, but I came to chat about the Vampire 4. I'm looking forward to getting one and looking forward to using it.

One other thing though. You mentioned the performance for the Vampire wasn't up to speed with WinUAE. I'm talking about the Vampire 4 here. That's going to be pretty decent.
Old 24 January 2019, 18:51   #66
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The A600 may be grainy but its fast and playable. The Quake 3 video you posted was not playable at all. Also, the problem with software emulation is that it does bug out more often.
Quake 3 is just a first test of an engine that I think should still improve, and I do not think it can turn that way on the vampire.

Quote:
Also, what spec was the PC to begin with? If it's a $1k+ machine, then it's really a different aspect entirely.
In my videos I use an old Dual-Core PC with Win7 32Bit 4GB RAM (see details screenshot), imagine what can be done with an i7 64GB

On the Vampire you try to play more Mp3 at the same time (16 Bit HiFi) + Effects Video WinAmp: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 31 January 2019 at 12:20.
Old 24 January 2019, 19:08   #67
Welshieinnz

Quote:
Quake 3 is just a first test of an engine that I think should still improve, and I do not think it can turn that way on the vampire.

In my videos I use an old Dual-Core PC with Win7 32Bit 4GB RAM (see details screenshot), imagine what can be done with an i7 64GB

On the Vampire you try to play more Mp3 at the same time (16 Bit HiFi) + Effects Video WinAmp: [ Show youtube player ]
Yeah, an i7 with 64Gigs would be sweet Not too great of a price though lol.

Also, I don't have a vampire or vampire 2. However, i'm sure they could handle MP3 usage OK. here's a basic one: [ Show youtube player ]

Here's a really good video showing an A600 with vampire 2: [ Show youtube player ] WHat's awesome about this is that he's loading multiple copies of personal paint while the MP3 is playing in the background with no stutter. Then he also loads up a word processor and there's no stutter. Pretty decent if you ask me,

This is a really good video and shows the capabilities of it. However, i'm not talking about V2, i'm looking forward to V4 which should be a beast.
Old 24 January 2019, 19:10   #68
Gorf

Quote:
64GB would not improve things for WinUEA or AmigaOS, both can not make use of it. Same goes for more than two cores.

WinUAE ist really good, but like some others, I do not have (and do not want) MS Windows....
I am quite fond of Amiberry and I like to have a dedicated machines for my Amiga stuff.
I guess the V4 will be faster than all my setups now, including my A3000/60.

We will see ... what I really would love to see is a Apollo/Vampire ASIC with around 1GHz
Old 24 January 2019, 19:35   #69
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
64GB would not improve things for WinUEA or AmigaOS, both can not make use of it. Same goes for more than two cores.

WinUAE ist really good, but like some others, I do not have (and do not want) MS Windows....
I am quite fond of Amiberry and I like to have a dedicated machines for my Amiga stuff.
I guess the V4 will be faster than all my setups now, including my A3000/60.

We will see ... what I really would love to see is a Apollo/Vampire ASIC with around 1GHz
Dual-Core WinUAE Emulation OS4.1
[ Show youtube player ]

My friend PC most recent WinUAE Emulation OS4.1
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 January 2019, 19:43   #70
Welshieinnz

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]

My friend PC most recent WinUAE Emulation OS4.1
[ Show youtube player ]
I'm not sure what you're getting at now, I must admit. We all admit that WinUAE is great and we're not disputing it. However, this post was about the Vampire 4.

Once that is out, let's compare performance at that point. Until then, there's no need really.
Old 24 January 2019, 20:04   #71
Gorf

Quote:
Yes two cores - more is useless, as I wrote.
Old 24 January 2019, 20:25   #72
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at now, I must admit. We all admit that WinUAE is great and we're not disputing it. However, this post was about the Vampire 4.

Once that is out, let's compare performance at that point. Until then, there's no need really.
OK I will wait for your info after you have purchased the Vampire 4 and I hope you can deny what I said
Old 24 January 2019, 20:28   #73
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Yes two cores - more is useless, as I wrote.
I hope i can intervene a more competent and qualified person like Toni Wilen to clear this topic.
Old 24 January 2019, 21:24   #74
Gorf

Quote:
I hope i can intervene a more competent and qualified person like Toni Wilen to clear this topic.
So I am incompetent and not qualified ... thanx
But Toni said so himself:

"What about support for the multi-core x86?

Very difficult. For compatible modes (like A500), practically impossible, if you want any performance gains. Chips in Amiga "talk" to each other continuously, you can't have a separate thread for chips, because continuous inter-chip messaging would kill the performance.

Some "post"-processing parts could be moved to other threads, but it isn't easy, at least if you don't want to lose performance on single core CPUs... (not interested, not worth the trouble, at least I won't waste my time for free). Also, in theory, JIT CPU emulation could be moved to a separate thread, but again, I am not interested in possible performance gains (in worst case, the result is slower performance if there is too much messaging between threads...)."

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_t...wwillen_en.php
Old 24 January 2019, 21:26   #75
Welshieinnz

Quote:
OK I will wait for your info after you have purchased the Vampire 4 and I hope you can deny what I said
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm not trying to one-up on anyone/anything. I'm not trying to belittle WinUAE but you keep coming back with comments that suggest I am.

The idea of this thread was simply to see who is excited for a new product, not to bash others.
Old 25 January 2019, 02:01   #76
Englyst

I for one am excited about the Vampire 4. This weekend I'm getting the Vampire 500+ v2 for my A2000, but surely for a small, powerful Amiga demoparty and fun machine, the V4 would be awesome. Looking forward to trying the 'little brother' next week.

I know a few old Amiga people in my circle of friends that are looking forward to the V4 as well. Let's see how it goes. And as with the FPGA, I like that they can fix hardware bugs and add stuff to it without us having to buy new hardware.

I do have WinUAE (AmiKit X and FlowerPot) but again it just doesn't feel right to me I do run OS 4.1 FE on it just for fun though. Used to have an AmigaOne but sold it as it was unstable as hell.

I see no reason to bash eachother for what we use individually - it's a personal choice and I respect that. I just like to be positive about the fact that there's still life in the Amiga retro community with many new products being introduced - ~27 years after Commodore went under.

I'm quite amazed at the fact that some people spend long hours creating hardware and software that will benefit a lot of us. My hat off to you all!
Old 25 January 2019, 02:11   #77
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englyst View Post
I do have WinUAE (AmiKit X and FlowerPot) but again it just doesn't feel right to me
Vampire 4 (any OS you will use) it will not be different from WinUAE + AmiKit X, only difference, less powerful, less compatible and without AfA-OS support if the FPU will not be optimal.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 January 2019 at 02:18.
Old 25 January 2019, 06:01   #78
Welshieinnz

Quote:
Vampire 4 (any OS you will use) it will not be different from WinUAE + AmiKit X, only difference, less powerful, less compatible and without AfA-OS support if the FPU will not be optimal.
Dude, seriously. Enough.
Old 25 January 2019, 06:03   #79
Welshieinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englyst View Post
I for one am excited about the Vampire 4. This weekend I'm getting the Vampire 500+ v2 for my A2000, but surely for a small, powerful Amiga demoparty and fun machine, the V4 would be awesome. Looking forward to trying the 'little brother' next week.

I know a few old Amiga people in my circle of friends that are looking forward to the V4 as well. Let's see how it goes. And as with the FPGA, I like that they can fix hardware bugs and add stuff to it without us having to buy new hardware.

I do have WinUAE (AmiKit X and FlowerPot) but again it just doesn't feel right to me I do run OS 4.1 FE on it just for fun though. Used to have an AmigaOne but sold it as it was unstable as hell.

I see no reason to bash eachother for what we use individually - it's a personal choice and I respect that. I just like to be positive about the fact that there's still life in the Amiga retro community with many new products being introduced - ~27 years after Commodore went under.

I'm quite amazed at the fact that some people spend long hours creating hardware and software that will benefit a lot of us. My hat off to you all!
Ooo. Let us know how it goes with the V2 setup!

I agree, I think its amazing that people are still developing for the Amiga scene. What’s also amazing is that the videos online regularly get thousands of views.
Old 25 January 2019, 06:12   #80
amiwolf

Upon release, AGA machines were rare and expensive in these parts and remain so to this day. The Gold 3 core is what I've been waiting for, as has the standalone in a way. The V2.x is already bumping into the limits of its Cyclone III so I think the V4 will be a wiser choice long term. As the owner of a somewhat rickety A600, the Vampire V4 standalone will be a worthy replacement.