English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 January 2019, 23:38   #1
hceline

Question Feature request: Option for HDToolbox friendly device names.

On the few Amigas that came with both SCSI and IDE one controller would be scsi.device and the other 2nd.scsi.device. And adding a Commodore Zorro SCSI-controller would make it 3rd.scsi.device (I believe some 3rd-party controllers also follows this standard).

This scheme supports nine controllers up to and including 8th.scsi.device, and lets HDToolbox* update the required "metadata" (sorry do not know the right Amiga-term) on the other disks in the system when one disk is added or removed form the system.

The problem is that all this breaks down once you set "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME" in ToolTypes, then it will only find the specified controller. So my request is: Can we please have an option to set the names of uaehf.device and uaescsi.device to 2nd.scsi.device trough 8th.scsi.device, either manually or automatically like commodore controllers do?

*Meaning the WB2.1/3.0/3.1/3.1.4 versions of HDToolbox, I have not checked how 3.5 3.9 versions work.

Last edited by hceline; 04 January 2019 at 23:39. Reason: Spelling
Old 05 January 2019, 11:02   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No, sorry. At least some versions of setpatch will assume (*_)scsi.device = official Commodore driver and causes glitches/crashes if it gets patched.

(Why uaescsi.device? It is only for CDROMs, it makes no sense to use it with hdtoolbox)
Old 05 January 2019, 14:47   #3
hceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
No, sorry. At least some versions of setpatch will assume (*_)scsi.device = official Commodore driver and causes glitches/crashes if it gets patched.
I asked for a option to rename, not a permanent change to the device name. I am quite sure it would work in 3.1.4, as that scsi.device is just as new as the included setpatch and should not need any patching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(Why uaescsi.device? It is only for CDROMs, it makes no sense to use it with hdtoolbox)
A mistake, I believed it was used for direct access to physical drives also.
Old 05 January 2019, 15:19   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I still don't want to do it because:

- 3rd party controllers should use custom device name. Those weird ones that use scsi.device are doing it wrong.
- It can get really confusing if device initialization order change.
- Use A590/A2091 or built-in IDE emulation if you want to use scsi.device
- Sooner or later someone else renames the device without understanding all the possible side-effects: weird bug reports appear.
Old 05 January 2019, 15:31   #5
hceline

Ok I guess I was wrong, I believed that this was the right way even for 3rd party controllers. Based on the fact that HDToolbox wants to keep the drives in sync by keeping a list with info of other drives on each drive. Which becomes impossible if you insert a 3rd-party controller which does not present the name 3rd.scsi.device (using a A4000T as example).
Old 05 January 2019, 15:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

HDtoolbox isn't (at least officially) supposed to be used with 3rd party controllers. (but it still is the best choice..)

I think it was OS3.5 or 3.9 version that added some device query option to make it easier to use with 3rd party device names.