English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 20 April 2018, 11:44   #101
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
MigaTech, please do not attempt to contact them or bring their attention onto the community.
They're a corporation. They only see dollar signs. They'll perceive it as depriving them of potential income.
Except if you have already started coding something, it's only a discussion here...
So, would you mind developing your thought ?
Old 20 April 2018, 12:22   #102
ExiE

Quote:
They're a corporation. They only see dollar signs. They'll perceive it as depriving them of potential income.
Or damaging their brand. Yes I agree, it is really stupid idea. RE is still one of their big milking cows...
Old 20 April 2018, 13:25   #103
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Take a look at this and then decide again.

http://www.capcom.com/capcom/legal_p.../copyright.php
Old 20 April 2018, 13:34   #104
Daedalus

Right, so it's a better idea to keep quiet about it, let someone pour hundreds of hours (hypothetically, in reality it's extremely unlikely to happen anyway) of their personal time into a dodgy port, and then hope that the end result isn't good enough that it happens to make any vintage computing news websites. It'll be our little secret.
Old 20 April 2018, 14:31   #105
LongLifeA1200

Their default answer would be a "No.". Trying to convince them that this would somehow promote their new remastered version is a hard sell. Some of these companies outsource legal firms that proactively look for copyright violations. MigaTech asked "How are they allowing..." it's not that they are allowing, they just don't know about it. I have never seen a company grant any such license to fans. This is one of those occasions where; if you don't bring it up with them, they won't bring it up either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Except if you have already started coding something, it's only a discussion here...
So, would you mind developing your thought ?
It was a long time ago that I played the game, and yes it scared the heck outta me.

The request to port this game (without source code) is niché, but if it involves PPC or RTG, I don't want to touch it or comment. I didn't mean to interject but I became alarmed when I saw the notion of emailing their legal department.

Please keep going though, it's a good topic.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:02   #106
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Their default answer would be a "No.". Trying to convince them that this would somehow promote their new remastered version is a hard sell.
Is this the version you are talking about?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 April 2018, 15:08   #107
Amiga1992

Oh my god DO NOT contact fucking Capc*m, next thing we know they start hunting after tings like Final Fight AGA.

DO NOT
CONTACT
Old 20 April 2018, 15:16   #108
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Is this the version you are talking about? [ Show youtube player ]
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Oh my god DO NOT contact fucking Capc*m, next thing we know they start hunting after tings like Final Fight AGA.

DO NOT
CONTACT
I was wondering when the mockery would start. You're very dependable Akira.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:23   #109
Dunny

I think he's being quite serious. Capcom would take one look at the EAB FTP and shut the whole thing down.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:24   #110
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I think he's being quite serious. Capcom would take one look at the EAB FTP and shut the whole thing down.
Oh... then I apologise, Akira. Force of habit on my part.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:27   #111
trixster
Guru Meditating

He's not mocking him. He's telling him not to contact Capcom about a port that is NEVER ever going to happen, which in turn might make someone there start looking at other capcom remakes on eab and the eab fileserver.

/edit beaten to it

Last edited by trixster; 20 April 2018 at 17:50.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:35   #112
donnie

What a weird suggestion for a port.

A straight port would definately need a 3D card. I had pentium 166 back then, and it wasnt until i got a voodoo 2 card the games started looking better than psx.

How many people have a 3D card for Amiga..... 12?

If you are not doing a straight port. But a sort of Amiga remake for Amiga Classic. redoing all the assets, code, everything. Then why not make your own zombie game. It would be easier, look 100 Times’ better.

Last edited by donnie; 20 April 2018 at 15:45.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:48   #113
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

First of all can members please calm down, I am not going to contact Capcom to ask about an Amiga version.

It was Daedalus who suggested I ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
By all means, ask them yourself: licensing_eu@capcom.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
What a weird suggestion for a port.

A straight port would definately need a 3D card. I had pentium 166 back then, and it wasnt until i got a voodoo 2 card the games started looking better than psx.
Nothing remotely weird about it. The Amiga can do it. OK so maybe not the 1st and 2nd Generations but definitely the 3rd Gen.
Old 20 April 2018, 17:05   #114
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
First of all can members please calm down, I am not going to contact Capcom to ask about an Amiga version.

It was Daedalus who suggested I ask them.
Not quite. In post 96 you suggested someone else could ask permission to code a port. You're the one looking for a port, so I'm rather sure that's why Daedalus suggested YOU contact Capcom, and he was helpful enough to provide an email address.

Last edited by trixster; 20 April 2018 at 17:23.
Old 20 April 2018, 17:39   #115
Amiga1992

Quote:
Oh... then I apologise, Akira. Force of habit on my part.

Yeah it's always easy to demonize the 100% no bullshit straight-up honest dude in here.

I should learn not to post in these threads.
Old 20 April 2018, 19:52   #116
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Not quite. In post 96 you suggested someone else could ask permission to code a port. You're the one looking for a port, so I'm rather sure that's why Daedalus suggested YOU contact Capcom, and he was helpful enough to provide an email address.

Post 96 didn't start the recent panic over contacting Capcom, on account it didn't come across as so official. The fact that Daedalus offering the email link and the following posts, did! This was what I meant.

Anyways regardless of who is to blame, I am not going to contact them. So panic over! Daedalus stating, maybe we should keep this a secret, is probably the best policy.

How many EAB members reading this thread at present, have the skill to code an Amiga version of Resident Evil?

Realistically, if the Game Boy colour version was to be used, what time frame are we talking from start to finish?

@Any smart ass members, If you have NOT got any constructive sensible answers to the 2 questions ask in this post, then please do not bother!

Sensible answers only, from those with the skill set and/or just properly interested in this thread.

Thank you.
Old 20 April 2018, 20:50   #117
Dunny

If anyone wanted to convert a game, then I'd be thinking about Sonic. Sega have historically (and very recently) been very receptive to fan games that use the Sonic IP even so far as to employ the guys who make them.

That may even extend to other Sega IP, but I don't think that has been tested as of yet.
Old 20 April 2018, 22:14   #118
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Even if at first glance I thought it was a good idea to contact them to ask, it's definitively not regarding what has been said since...

Last edited by malko; 20 April 2018 at 22:30. Reason: misprint
Old 21 April 2018, 04:12   #119
rare_j
Zone Friend

How about making a game based on smurfs? I'm sure no one would mind.

Resident evil smurfs. I for one would feel pride to see such a game on amiga.
Old 21 April 2018, 06:27   #120
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Sometime ago thought of a Dead Space demake in isometric 3D, would look a bit like ShadoWorlds but with real time dynamics - however i still wonder how to implement the cut limbs dynamics...

AND at the end it does not need to be Resident Evil 1:1, just a game that has same dynamics but can be different in environment and story; i would also suggest simple vectorbobs for the sprites so to have a more convincing 3D effect