English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 January 2016, 14:56   #401
roomeo

Ok. I never seen it up and running the last year, but i might have been unlucky and tried those times it was down.
However, i dont think a ticket would solve anything.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:00   #402
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Is the clockport model the same as the X-Surf model minus the perspex cover? Do I need to do anything besides remove the cover?

Cheers,
Chris
Its not the same. It has more features in hw so it supports clockports as well. There was made two models so x-surf users would'nt pay for the development of the clockport logic.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:19   #403
Knight94

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Its not the same. It has more features in hw so it supports clockports as well. There was made two models so x-surf users would'nt pay for the development of the clockport logic.
I agree that it is not the same. As I do not have a 4000 I cannot comment on that. But I have unsuccessfully tried my friends a4000 rr and have not had it work in a 1200. So I would assume it is the same the other way around. The board lights up but the drivers do not work. I can see how this is a major issue for the 4000 community. I hope it gets solved soon. As for the 1200 community it works great. Cheers
Old 05 January 2016, 15:24   #404
demolition
Unregistered User

The clockport version is supposed to work on the x-surf as well - you just pay extra to get the clockport support. This is not related to the A4000 issues reported in this thread.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:29   #405
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight94 View Post
I agree that it is not the same. As I do not have a 4000 I cannot comment on that. But I have unsuccessfully tried my friends a4000 rr and have not had it work in a 1200. So I would assume it is the same the other way around. The board lights up but the drivers do not work. I can see how this is a major issue for the 4000 community. I hope it gets solved soon. As for the 1200 community it works great. Cheers
EDIT: Silly me, the answer is right at the top of IC's Wiki page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC Wiki Page
The module can either be connected to the clockport of an A1200 using cables, or the local expansion port of the X-Surf-100 card. The latter will give you highest performance and is therefore the recommended method of connection. Only one interface can be used at a time. Switching between the interfaces is automatically done by the hardware. There is a lower-cost version available that has the clockport interface disabled.
So that answers why your X-Surf version didn't work in the A1200 and why my clockport version *should* work in the A4000. My NAK problems (in both Z2 and Z3 mode) are a separate issue. I'm glad I'm not going mad!

Last edited by clebin; 05 January 2016 at 15:54.
Old 19 January 2016, 23:04   #406
jdb78

Jens has got my A4000 for test reasons. I gave it to him in October at the 30 years Amiga event in Germany. It has a Buster 11, a Cyberstorm MK1 060 and a X-Surf 100 with a Rapid Road module. X-Surf 100 works well in ZIII but RR doesn't, it only works in ZII.

I am confident that he will find the source of the issue and resolves it to our satisfaction. We should be used to wait, shouldn't we? It's done when it's done. There are so many parameters when it comes to an Amiga that you can't simply test all of them before you sell new hardware. So either you wait or you send it back and buy yourself a Deneb or Subway.

Old 20 January 2016, 10:13   #407
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
Jens has got my A4000 for test reasons. I gave it to him in October at the 30 years Amiga event in Germany. It has a Buster 11, a Cyberstorm MK1 060 and a X-Surf 100 with a Rapid Road module. X-Surf 100 works well in ZIII but RR doesn't, it only works in ZII.

I am confident that he will find the source of the issue and resolves it to our satisfaction. We should be used to wait, shouldn't we? It's done when it's done. There are so many parameters when it comes to an Amiga that you can't simply test all of them before you sell new hardware. So either you wait or you send it back and buy yourself a Deneb or Subway.
Thanks for loaning out your precious A4000 for this. I'm still hopeful of a fix and knowing they still have your machine makes me a bit more hopeful.

I understand your point about waiting. I don't want to harp on so what I said in post #400 covers it. Thanks for the info!
Old 28 January 2016, 04:50   #408
Acill
Tech Guru

I just got my X-surf 100 and Rapid road today for my A4000T. Everything works mostly. I was getting some system lockups when I surfed to a few pages using any browser. Tried Aweb and ibrowse. The Rapid road isnt detecting my Apple keyboard like the Spider 2 USB does though. Another issue I have is its dropping the devices on the USB offline randomly. Its powered by one floppy power lead as well. Using it with a CSPPC.
Old 28 January 2016, 11:23   #409
zharn

So stock a4000 still still cant use a RR?

Does the Phoenix board have problems too? How is it connected to the phoenix?
Old 28 January 2016, 19:11   #410
McTrinsic

For the phoenix Board, you can use- for example- the clockport on a VarIO.

Works like a charm for me.

Cheers,
McT
Old 09 February 2016, 10:20   #411
roomeo

@jdb78

Have you heard anything from Jens?

sorry for spewing out negativity in this thread, but this is silly in the long run.
Old 09 February 2016, 10:33   #412
zharn

Im eagerly awaiting to complete my 4000 build from a year ago. i would have bought more stuff to complete from jens, but RR must work first. Indivision would be the next thing i need.
Old 09 February 2016, 11:05   #413
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharn View Post
Im eagerly awaiting to complete my 4000 build from a year ago. i would have bought more stuff to complete from jens, but RR must work first. Indivision would be the next thing i need.
<rant>

Me too... That RR issue is the last thing i need to have a complete setup.. i have spendt thousands of dollars on products from icomp over the years. Utterly disapointed with the behaviour here from Jens. Would never purchase something from icomp ever again. Now that vampire is breaking through, icomp products seem to be rendered obsolete. So ignoring existing customers and their problems would seem to me to be a not so wise decision...

yeah yeah.. bla blabla.. icomp is a hobby firm, and we should accept to wait years for an update for a driver advertized working out of the box.. That is not how you treat customers!!!! Even the support ticket dont work.. poor resellers.

<rant/>
Old 09 February 2016, 11:14   #414
Leffmann

I agree on all the negative sentiments here, Jöns Schoenfeld really is handling the whole RR issues badly, but he has very little interest in Amiga as such, his interest is purely in how much money he can squeeze out of the community, unfortunately, so this is what you should expect. There's no money in offering support for previous products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Now that vampire is breaking through, icomp products seem to be rendered obsolete. So ignoring existing customers and their problems would seem to me to be a not so wise decision...
It'll be interesting to see if he will allow a future A1200-version of the Vampire to run on his motherboards, because the Vampire would effectively cut out a huge chunk of potential business for him.
Old 09 February 2016, 11:19   #415
SkulleateR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
It'll be interesting to see if he will allow a future A1200-version of the Vampire to run on his motherboards ...
Just interested ... "his" motherboards ??? When did he produce them ???
Old 09 February 2016, 11:21   #416
roomeo

@Leffman

+1

Felt like i was the only one here bashing this subject.. I am of the impression that people treat Jens as a sort of god and saviour of the amiga not to be criticized...

Grafitti support and IndiAGA MKII comes into mind her... wasnt it advertised with this functionality?
Old 09 February 2016, 11:22   #417
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
Just interested ... "his" motherboards ??? When did he produce them ???
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded
Old 09 February 2016, 11:24   #418
SkulleateR

Ah, not yet build, well it´s a bit early then to do some speculation here
Old 09 February 2016, 14:08   #419
wmsteele

I suspect the Vampire will eventually lead to a standalone product, hopefully in a couple of form factors with at least one fitting the original a1200 case. Would render the reloaded and its numerous required ‘upgrades’ obsolete.
Old 09 February 2016, 14:18   #420
roomeo

yep.. an even better reason to fix crippled drivers so its not THAT obsolete.

but as always.. Jens knows better, and everyone else is wrong..
If it has'nt been for those pesky customers and their stock hardware..

sorry those negative comments.. but im in a war mode regarding this!