English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 December 2015, 19:51   #61
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Is Overscan a feature of Amiga chipset only or did any RTG cards available for Amiga had that capability too?
not that i know of. overscan is only actually useful on pal/ntsc type display to gain some visible display area beyond default where possible, or for presentations.
Old 06 December 2015, 13:52   #62
deadwood

Updated text:

Workbook is AROS 68k minimalisting desktop. Today its usability is quite
limited. This bounty aims at extending the available functions to become a
replacement of Workbench as found in AmigaOS 3.1

Bounty will be completed when these functionalites are available in Workbook:

* Support standard .info files
* Manually position & snapshot icons and windows
* Drag & drop icons to copy/move
* Make new directories
* Delete files & directories
* Rename files & directories
* View/edit file information/tooltypes
* Leave out/put away
* Make Show All Files/Show Only Icons work as per description

This functionality needs to be available in ROM version of Workbook, that is
booting a disk only containing LoadWB command will allow usage of Workbook with
these functionalities.

Additionaly the following functionalities can be added at the descrection of the developer:

* Support for ToolMenu
* List-view mode (view + manage files as in icon mode)

These functionalities are not required to mark bounty as completed.

---------------------------------------

List view is moved to optional - with limited space in ROM I prefer to get icon mode working correctly rather than have two partial modes.
Old 08 December 2015, 22:11   #63
deadwood

While we work on overscan bounty text, here are proposals for two application related bounties:
Old 08 December 2015, 22:11   #64
deadwood

Odyssey 68k bounty

Compile the current version of Odyssey (at least 1.25) to work under AROS 68k. The source codes are available at
https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser. Please note that there is a known big endian issue with JavaScript component of Odyssey.

Validation:
- At minimum Odyssey 68k opens, allows logging and interacting with following sites: amiga.org, amiga-world.net,
aros-exec.org, eab.abime.net
- The endianess problem in Java Script needs to be fixed or circumvented to the extend needed for the above sites to function properly
- If the endianess problem is solved by the time bounty is assigned, delivering HTML5 video player needs to be
functional as well
- Changes need to be integrated to https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser, released with license compatible with Odyssey and allow compiling with AROS 68k crosscompiler
- The external libraries needed to compile Odyssey 68k are either provided in AROS contrib build (so build with every
AROS build) or are delivered in binary form and uploaded to a publicly accessible site

Note:
The leopard-webkit project already has a big endian patch for WebKit:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/leo...s/600/Sources/
Old 08 December 2015, 22:12   #65
deadwood

Odyssey Big Endian bounty

Solve the endianess issue in Odyssey's JavaScript engine to allow using it on big endian CPUs. One of the approaches
can be to bring in the minimal set of changes from Leaopard WebKit repository to Odyssey repository.

The leopard-webkit project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/leo...s/600/Sources/

Validation:
- The non-JIT JavaScript engine for a selected Big Endian system (AmigaOS 3.x, AROS 68k, MorphOS or AmigaOS 4) works
up to same level as non-JIT JavaScript version for x86 processors.
- Execution speed is not part of comparison
- The changes are made in a way allowing easy re-basing with newer versions of WebKit
- Changes need to be integrated to https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser and released with license
compatible with Odyssey
- A binary of Odyssey for a selected Big Endian system is delivered to general usage
Old 08 December 2015, 23:08   #66
wawa

please integrate odyssey into the aros build system, for convinience of further maintenance. thats very important imho.

what concerns big endian java script fixes, this part should perhaps be a separate bounty with a target audience including os4 and morphos. im sure they would participate, when you read the comments on forums.
Old 02 January 2016, 17:41   #67
deadwood

Just a small update: the bounty for Workbook Enhancement is now over $200:

http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/76
Old 02 January 2016, 18:07   #68
deadwood

I'm currently drafting the overscan bounty and I have two questions:

1) In the overscan prefs there are two settings: text overscan and graphics overscan - what is their purpose? Amiga does not have a text mode.
2) In the overscan prefs there are monitors listed, however for each monitor only one mode is overscannable it seems, for example for PAL it is 640x256 while for MULTISCAN it is 640x480. Why is that? What is the rule of which mode is overscannable?
Old 02 January 2016, 20:12   #69
wawa

you must remember amiga rtg modes do not neccesarily fit vga modes as you can re-design them via p96 prefs as example, pixel clocks, timings, dimensions.. . aros is more limited in this respect at least for now, however i think overscan functionality is practically only neccessary for pal and ntsc type displays.
what concerns text and gfx overscans i think it was depending on a program which values it was asking up. text editor would use text overscan, while painting package or some game, or a animation player would go for gfx overscan.
correct me if im wrong.
Old 02 January 2016, 20:23   #70
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

There are multiple settings for different amounts of overscan. Text should have all pixels visible. Graphics overscan should have no visible border yet take no more bandwidth usage than necessary. Maximum overscan is determined by the driver.

There is also a hazard not mentioned in the Workbench prefs: sprites may become invisible if the left border is overscanned.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:02   #71
deadwood

But the there is still I question I have - why can't you set overscan for any mode of given driver (like PAL) but only for a specific mode (in case of PAL Hires (640x256))?
Old 03 January 2016, 10:12   #72
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
But the there is still I question I have - why can't you set overscan for any mode of given driver (like PAL) but only for a specific mode (in case of PAL Hires (640x256))?
Perhaps because of different hardware limits? DMA start and end values are not same for lores and hires if you want identically positioned image = max limits are also slightly different.
Old 03 January 2016, 17:43   #73
deadwood

Here is a proposal for the overscan bounty:

Extend Amiga Chipset driver to support Overscan

Currently the Amiga Chipset video driver does not support overscan. The
goal of the bounty it to add this support.

Bounty will be completed when these functionalities are available:

* There is a Prefs program that allows setting overscan properties
* The Prefs program is MUI based
* It is possible to set both Text and Graphics overscan like in original prefs program
* Setting overscan needs to work for all monitor types exposed by Amiga Chipset video driver

Please comment
Old 03 January 2016, 18:17   #74
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

IMHO functionality should be also confirmed with some native OS3 program, not by AROS Prefs program and I think there are programmers who knows Amiga chipset and AROS internals (there is no overscan support whatsoever in AROS gfx subsystem, I'd probably had implemented chipset overscan support years ago if concept of overscan had existed in AROS) but do not want to touch anything GUI or MUI related
Old 04 January 2016, 11:58   #75
deadwood

Do you have any proposal of the native OS3 programs that should be used to validate the functionality?
Old 06 January 2016, 13:50   #76
deadwood

Updated version:

Extend Amiga Chipset driver to support Overscan

Currently the Amiga Chipset video driver does not support overscan. The
goal of the bounty it to add this support.

Bounty will be completed when these functionalities are available:

* AROS graphics subsystem (library and driver) is extended to support overscan
* The extension is transparent to AROS platforms not having overscan capability
* There is a Prefs program that allows setting overscan properties
* The Prefs program is MUI based
* It is possible to set both Text and Graphics overscan like in original prefs program
* Setting overscan needs to work for all monitor types exposed by Amiga Chipset video driver
* The overscan capability is proven to work by it beeing used by an AmigaOS software choosen by developer
Old 06 January 2016, 14:11   #77
wXR

While bounties have never been a very successful way of motivating developers in a project, public gratitude and participation always has been. I appreciate @deadwood for being in our faces here about what is going on. Please keep doing that! Sometimes I suppose it's quite easy to simply forget about AROS, even if it slowly churns in the background.
Old 16 January 2016, 18:15   #78
deadwood

Hi All,

The bounty for overscan support has been opened. Please support!

https://power2people.org/projects/profile/77