English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 May 2015, 06:55   #1
grizzlyaddams

Dataflyer SCSI + IDE Problems

I have an Amiga 2000 that is working with ECS, 2.04 kickstart, and a Dataflyer RAM card with 4mb RAM that is configured and working properly.

I tried to add to a different ZorroII slot the Dataflyer IDE/SCSI card but I am getting nowhere. I have the disks (no manual but have a pdf), but they do nothing special on boot, and the "Prep" program on the disk cannot find any devices.

I took the RAM card out and put only the IDE/SCSI Dataflyer card in. It does not show up as an installed board in ShowConfig.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12 May 2015, 08:21   #2
mark_k

Have you had the card working before? Could it have previously been used with an A500?

Could you attach a picture of your card so I can see the jumper settings?
Old 12 May 2015, 10:01   #3
grizzlyaddams

It was installed in an A2000 and working previously, but the owner parted the computer out.

I was able to get the card recognized by closing the "C" and "S" jumpers on the memory header. I had overlooked this. Now the board is being recognized by ShowConfig but I can't get a harddrive mounted or formatted.

Jumper Positions:
  • 5V Enabled: On
  • Sense: Nothing
  • C: Closed
  • S: Closed
  • (A-B "Reset"): A (Can't find description for this one in manual)
  • A-B Near IDE Connector: Was set to "B" (Can't find description for this one in manual)

I also got two small capacity SCSI drives. The AutoInstall software recognizes them both from "Prep" but one cannot have it's capacity recognized and fails to initialize at all (I think it is dead). The other seems ok, but the software cannot mount or format the drive after following all the prompts and choosing the partition layout.

Lastly, I tried an IDE-CF adapter, but the "Prep" software hangs when this is plugged in. It has two jumpers 3.3 or 5v (Set to 5) and Master or Slave (Set to master)
Old 12 May 2015, 22:16   #4
grizzlyaddams

Attached image of board as requested!

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0092.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	44192  
Old 22 May 2015, 11:36   #5
mark_k

Regarding the IDE-CF adaptor, could the problem be that the CF card you used reports itself as removable, confusing the DataFlyer prep software?

Which version of the DataFlyer software/install disk are you using?

Would you be able to dump the ROM on your DataFlyer card? That could allow support for your controller to be added to WinUAE, which would make helping with possible installation/software issues a lot easier.

It should be possible to dump it using software. There are various programs you can use to dump a region of memory. One is TrackDOS. After finding your DataFlyer board address using ShowConfig (it might be $E90000 or $EA0000), run TrackDOS. Click Memory to DOS then enter $E98000 for source address and $EA0000 for end address, enter a filename and click OK. [Those figures assume your board address is $E90000. If it's $EA0000, you'd use $EA8000 for start address and $EB0000 for end address.]
Old 23 May 2015, 00:11   #6
grizzlyaddams

I ditched the IDE_CF adapter and used a real IDE hard drive. it works great for a week now. I had an old 3.2 DataFlyer installer, but I downloaded 3.7e from aminet.

The CF-IDE adapter would not be recognized by a windows PC or it's BIOS either. It was a cheap adapter + cheap card I Got for free.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 23 May 2015, 19:57   #7
mark_k

Glad you got it (or something, at least) working!

If you are able to dump the DataFlyer ROM though, that would be very useful for emulation and analysis.