English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 March 2015, 18:49   #1
Brick Nash
Prototron

Lha in Winuae

Hey folks,

I'm trying to track down a copy of ASM-ONE and some other applications but I can't seem to find an adf file anywhere but there are loads of resources in lha format so I'd like to learn to use them with Winuae as they seem to be mostly applications that I'd want but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do.

I found some vague instructions telling me I should extract the files in windows then mount the folder in Winuae and then "just run it" and I did that but I'm unclear on exactly how to run it? I'm brand new to all this and just need a little help.

I just want to be clear on what's happening -

I'm in Winuae, I go to the hard drive section, I click on 'Add directory or archive', I click ' select directory' and search for the folder with my extracted files and select it.

Now what?

I've run workbench and am looking for something that resembles a hard disc but I can't find anything, nor can I see any way of even viewing the files in Winuae.

Thanks
Old 20 March 2015, 19:03   #2
thomas

You don't need to extract archives. Just use "add archive" instead of "add directory" and point it to the archive.

If it does not show up you did something wrong. Make sure that it appears in the list of harddrives. And make sure that you use Kick 1.3 or above, lower versions are not able to have harddrives.

Regarding how to start something, it really depends on the contents of the archive. If the software can be run from Workbench, the archive should contain something to double click.

Of course you need a Workbench floppy or harddisk to boot from. If your archive is the only bootable disk in the system and does not contain any system files, then you only get a DOS prompt without anything you can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-20 18_57_37-WinUAE Properties (Public Beta 11, 2015.02.27).png
Views:	324
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	43660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench_v3_001.png
Views:	344
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	43661  
Old 21 March 2015, 11:53   #3
Brick Nash
Prototron

Hey thanks for the reply and the info.

The AsmPro.lha package is showing up in Workbench now thanks to your advice but when I click on it there is nothing inside it that is selectable, it's just blank. There are definitely contents. I even tried extracting everything so that there were no sub folders and repackaged as a .rar which again showed up fine in Workbench but still no contents within.

Either I'm doing something wrong again or I have a dodgy download! :S
Old 21 March 2015, 12:11   #4
thomas

What you have to know about Workbench is that it is not a file explorer. It only displays icons. Icons are stored in .info files. If you want to see "file1" on Workbench you also need "file1.info" which contains an icon for it. All other files and directories are hidden.

That said, beginning with Kick 2.0 there is an option to show icons for hidden files. You just need to select "window -> show -> all files" from the menu.

On Kick 1.3 and below you have to use other tools to explore the file system, for example CLI-mate or DosControl. Or use the command line interface (CLI or Shell).

Looking at AsmPro.lha all I can say is: stupid uploader. He didn't include icons for the drawers. All files have icons.
Old 21 March 2015, 12:43   #5
Brick Nash
Prototron

Ahhh I see. That explains why almost every lha file I've downloaded has shown up blank in Workbench.

I was using A500 with 1.3 (just because it's the one I had) but I switched to A500+ with a later kick and that revealed the hidden files. None worked mind you as none were executable haha but at least I know I'm on the right track now!

Thanks for all your help, I learned a lot just from this one experience and it's made me even more interested in the system!