English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 March 2017, 12:01   #1
fondpondforever

New Amiga Magazine Coming Out

There is a new Amiga magazine coming in July called Amiga User. Have you heard of it? What do you think it will be like compared to Amiga Future.
Old 27 March 2017, 17:18   #2
idrougge

I think it will be shortlived.
Old 27 March 2017, 20:08   #3
andyhants

Any more details? Like a url or source of this info? & native language ?

Thanks
Old 27 March 2017, 20:12   #4
Robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
There is a new Amiga magazine coming in July called Amiga User. Have you heard of it? What do you think it will be like compared to Amiga Future.
Given that we only have its name it's hard to guess what it'll be like. I predict it will be aimed at Amiga Users...if it exists.
Old 27 March 2017, 20:24   #5
zipper

Polish effort. http://amiga.net.pl/index.php?lng=eng&kwt=10010&tms=132
Old 27 March 2017, 20:33   #6
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I think it will be shortlived.
Thank you idrougge for you encouragement in this thread, I'm sure fondpondforever will be ecstatic about your ever so helpful reply and to those people involved in the magazine, if it truly does exist, I'm sure they'll be overwhelmed by your post of confidence too.

Quote:
If you ain't got anything decent to say, don't say anything at all.
Is probably your best bet
Old 27 March 2017, 21:16   #7
DamienD
Banned

Sorry for the off topic everyone but this needs to be said... I totally agree with DH after reading the 2nd post in the thread

@idrougge; as mentioned to you in another thread just yesterday... Please keep up with your constantly negative / elitist attitude. You are on very thin ice indeed...

Back on topic; to the people who are creating this new magazine, well done and we all wish you the best. I'm sure it will make a great read
Old 28 March 2017, 09:43   #8
idrougge

You can say what you want, but the problem with every magazine started is with themselves. You may like or dislike Amiga Future, but it has been publishing constantly since the 90s thanks to the dedication of Andreas Magerl and contributing staff.

When you choose to start a competing effort instead of contributing to someone else's effort, you must ask yourself two questions:

1. Why would anyone contribute to my magazine when I chose not to do that?
2. Do I have in me what Andreas Magerl has?

Trust me, I'm speaking out of experience.
Old 28 March 2017, 16:13   #9
DH
Global Moderator

Everyone deserves a chance, and anyone starting a new Amiga magazine must already know, or certainly have some idea, as to what market they want their magazine to tap into. I'm pretty sure they've already done their homework too.

People aren't stupid idrougge, and people certainly don't blindly start things without firstly having knowledge or checking out the competition first.

Ever heard of the saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"? At least they're prepared to take a risk, regardless of what the outcome may be. Maybe these guys are more experienced than you and are in a better position to understand the market, and have the know-how to actually succeed.

Here's that link again to the new magazine http://amiga.net.pl/index.php?kwt=10010&tms=132&lng=eng for anyone who is actually interested

Last edited by DH; 28 March 2017 at 17:07.
Old 28 March 2017, 17:07   #10
idrougge

The thing is, people are stupid, and blindly start things without prior knowledge* or checking out the competition first. That is the human condition.

Why else do we see more sysops running retro BBSes than users dialing in to said retro BBSes? Why do people start Amiga forums as though the current ones were crowded?

Publishing is a game of perseverance. Making the first issue is the funny bit because you can spend a year doing it. Thereafter, you have deadlines and readers to deal with.

* I've worked for many years in publishing, as well as having worked on an Amiga fanzine. If the Amiga User crew are more experienced, they really must know what they're doing. As can be discerned from their marketing blitz over here.

Last edited by idrougge; 28 March 2017 at 17:15.
Old 28 March 2017, 20:30   #11
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
The thing is, people are stupid, and blindly start things without prior knowledge* or checking out the competition first. That is the human condition.
Careful, you're insulting the whole of humanity there. Saying things how you feel it should be said, is not always the wisest move. Think before you speak, or in this case, think before you write, could be far more beneficial than you think.

Quote:
Why else do we see more sysops running retro BBSes than users dialing in to said retro BBSes? Why do people start Amiga forums as though the current ones were crowded?
They want to regardless of whether it's a success or not + it's a challenge + they may have something a little out of the ordinary to deliver + they believe + it's what they want to do and they like it. To them they are giving something back to the community, and I see no harm in that whatsoever. Unless we're paying for it then really there's no argument.

Quote:
Publishing is a game of perseverance. Making the first issue is the funny bit because you can spend a year doing it. Thereafter, you have deadlines and readers to deal with.
Indeed, but isn't that part of the fun. After all, you don't learn anything if you don't try. I'd rather see someone try and fail than not try at all. Making statements to the effect that they'll fail is a sure way to knock the confidence out of someone, and unfortunately, not everyone can sustain their confidence when knocked back.

Quote:
* I've worked for many years in publishing, as well as having worked on an Amiga fanzine. If the Amiga User crew are more experienced, they really must know what they're doing. As can be discerned from their marketing blitz over here.
So your wealth of experience when you "worked" as a publisher gives you the wisdom to make negative statements towards others who are only trying to make a go of things. I guess you don't work in publishing any more, I wonder why

Now, this thread deserves to be left alone from all of the above O/T drivel, and this is final back on topic. All other drivel content will be removed.
Old 04 April 2017, 07:03   #12
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Ok, I will try to bring this conversation back away from the usual flaming with my observations of Amiga User compared to Amiga Future.

The first impressions I get from both Amiga Future and Amiga User is Amiga Future is more focussed on modern Amiga products while Amiga User is more focussed on classic Amiga usage.

I imagine that there may be some modern Amiga coverage in Amiga User, and I know that there is some classic Amiga coverage in Amiga Future. But overall I think that the established magazine is more "modern tech" focussed, and the newer publication is more "classic user" focussed (surprise, surprise).

I think that the Amiga scene while kind of underground is very much big enough for two publications to survive. Especially if they cover different aspects. This would not have been true 10 years ago, but the Amiga is now of an age where it is very much retro and cool. As I was taking my A1200 to the shipping centre to be delivered to its new home I had numerous people stop me and say how they have fond memories of the Amiga. If I were a bastard I would have even sold it to the guy who offered to pay $50 more than the eBay buyer cash in hand.

Also I should state that I personally have something of a small but friendly business relationship with Amiga.net.pl. So on a personal level I wish for them to succeed even more than I might if I were just a regular Amiga user.

I will certainly be purchasing the eBook version as soon as I have a positive bank balance again, I'm just waiting for PayPal to deposit money from a recent sale, and if I did not live half-way around the world from Poland then I would probably get the paper version too.

But of course I am personally biased in their favour as I have mentioned. But one potential issue which Amiga User may have is their coverage of games and applications which they sell themselves being heavily biased in their favour. For example if they give a good review to Solid Gold then that may indicate that the reviewer is not impartial.