English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 15 April 2012, 22:53   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
New Atari ST conversion coming to Amiga

[ Show youtube player ]
Galahad/FLT is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 April 2012, 23:02   #2
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 390
Smile

Looking good baby

I remember it on the ZX Spectrum back in the day. The black and white look gives it a nice atmosphere and feel.
Whitesnake is offline  
Old 15 April 2012, 23:03   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
I've got it running through WHDLoad (using that to debug), and WINuae, but need to run it on a real Amiga to see whether or not the realtime screen conversion routine is quick enough.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 15 April 2012, 23:09   #4
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 390
Will this conversion require a 020? Due to the Atari ST having a slightly faster 68k and also the YM Chip conversion? or can that speed/audio hardware difference be overcome through other means?

Last edited by Whitesnake; 15 April 2012 at 23:27.
Whitesnake is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 02:16   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Will this conversion require a 020? Due to the Atari ST having a slightly faster 68k and also the YM Chip conversion? or can that speed/audio hardware difference be overcome through other means?
Technically, this 'should' work fine on 68000 once i've finished. I might need to optimize the ingame ST to Amiga screen conversion routine, but thats only because my routine is doing the entire screen, but as you can see, the ST screen only changes the stuff in the centre and the small bits at the bottom, so processor time can be saved there for a start.

YM conversion i've been told can be quite painless for Amiga, simply redirecting the YM calls to the correct Amiga registers should get it up and running, and doing it on an interrupt, I can't envisage it getting too heavy.

Still got to do the conversion for controls, so once I have the controls done, then i'll worry about sound. Its not much of a tune, but it would be good to have it included, because I don't think i've got enough memory left for an Amiga module, so the ST music will have to suffice.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 05:13   #6
Adropac2
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 45
Posts: 834
Blimey another one, great news this and very much appreciated. Looking forward to playing it. Enjoyed the game back then and so it's very cool to see it on Amiga

Is there realistically any chance Oids could make it onto Amiga one day or is that a trickier job?
Adropac2 is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 08:16   #7
1time
Amiga Lover

1time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Age: 40
Posts: 565
Thank you Galahad..
1time is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 10:02   #8
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton
jimmy2x2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North West, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 347
Great news!

please forgive my ignorance, but what other games have been converted?
jimmy2x2x is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 10:05   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,790
Joust, Super Sprint, Gauntlet
s2325 is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 10:29   #10
lilalurl
T32
lilalurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: France
Age: 38
Posts: 2,834
Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Joust, Super Sprint, Gauntlet
Download links available at the end of this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=808731#post808731
lilalurl is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 11:48   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Blimey another one, great news this and very much appreciated. Looking forward to playing it. Enjoyed the game back then and so it's very cool to see it on Amiga

Is there realistically any chance Oids could make it onto Amiga one day or is that a trickier job?
Oids is trickier simply because it was written in Forth I think, which will likely make the code a little obfuscated, and I think its very TOS system reliant.

But it also doesn't do any fancy Timer copper effects either so, its certainly one to look at for the future as it and Sundog are two of the ST games that people most wanted back in the day.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 12:42   #12
Retro1234
5150

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sycophantazia
Posts: 3,782
Nice one can't wait to try it

How come and I'm not having a dig when stuff like Sundog is run through the TOS emulators there full speed on 68000 although no sound.

With all these conversions I still like to see a good TOS emulator compatible on all procesors maybe even under Whdload like we have the kickemu,

Anyways great work

Last edited by Retro1234; 16 April 2012 at 12:52.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 13:18   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Nice one can't wait to try it

How come and I'm not having a dig when stuff like Sundog is run through the TOS emulators there full speed on 68000 although no sound.

With all these conversions I still like to see a good TOS emulator compatible on all procesors maybe even under Whdload like we have the kickemu,

Anyways great work
It could be that the game uses TOS for everything, except sound processing which is directly accessed by the hardware.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 14:14   #14
meynaf
son of 68k
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon / France
Age: 44
Posts: 2,459
I wish you success, as it would lower the pressure on my shoulders for other games porting. But why did you open a thread before having at least a playable version ? Why did you give a youtube link instead of a link to the whdload stuff you spoke about ?
meynaf is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 14:34   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I wish you success, as it would lower the pressure on my shoulders for other games porting. But why did you open a thread before having at least a playable version ? Why did you give a youtube link instead of a link to the whdload stuff you spoke about ?
Why do I need to do it the way you say? I feel its better to show that results are present, talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words!

I gave a Youtube link because I have no intention of making the WHDLoad version the only version, in fact i'm only using WHDLoad as a development tool to quicker develop the Amiga version, once I have the controls sorted and the YM emulation sorted, I can then master a proper 512K ADF version so that EVERYONE can play it, not just WHDLoad people.

This is the way I want to do it, respect that and please try not to sound so combative as you currently are, its not helpful.

It clearly states its a WIP (Work in Progress)... why not show that actually happening?
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 14:58   #16
meynaf
son of 68k
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon / France
Age: 44
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It clearly states its a WIP (Work in Progress)... why not show that actually happening?
Some WIP remain WIP all their life, until they just die out because the project got abandoned.

But time will tell. YM emulation is perhaps not as easy as you think, for example.
meynaf is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 15:32   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Some WIP remain WIP all their life, until they just die out because the project got abandoned.

But time will tell. YM emulation is perhaps not as easy as you think, for example.
But better a live WIP that can be seen rather than someone saying they are doing something with no tangible results

And maybe YM emulation won't be as easy as I think, but thats the fun of doing the work, if it was easy, all these games would have been converted years ago
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 15:36   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,790
Could you tell me reason of that random blur? Why it wasn't recorded with WinUAE but with some external application?
s2325 is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 15:36   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Could you tell me reason of that random blur? Why it wasn't recorded with WinUAE but with some external application?
It was recorded with WinUAE

The actual game doesn't have that blur or any screen tearing. Just crap encoding unfortunately.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 16 April 2012, 19:01   #20
Adropac2
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 45
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Oids is trickier simply because it was written in Forth I think, which will likely make the code a little obfuscated, and I think its very TOS system reliant.

But it also doesn't do any fancy Timer copper effects either so, its certainly one to look at for the future as it and Sundog are two of the ST games that people most wanted back in the day.
I see then thanks for that. Yes a lot of happy folk if anyone could manage this job, but for now this is fantastic
Adropac2 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ugly Ass Atari St Doom conversion Fred the Fop Retrogaming General Discussion 18 07 May 2016 22:22
Super Sprint - Atari ST Conversion Galahad/FLT Retrogaming General Discussion 83 12 March 2012 22:34
Old Atari ST ? Game...not sure if there was an Amiga conversion.. HCF Looking for a game name ? 14 17 October 2004 18:43
EBAY Amiga / Atari ST / Atari 2600 stuff Eggsplosion MarketPlace 0 09 October 2004 22:01

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.38780 seconds with 12 queries