English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 October 2006, 10:08   #1
LazerBall

Amiga 1200 Problem

Help A Novice!!
HiHo,first off im a novice when it comes to Amiga's, I did have an A500 years ago.
I just got hold of a 1200 with a 85mb internal HD,now comes the fun bit,
Im going to use it just for games so I thought I would install a program on my PC then send them to the Amiga HD,
but when I set up the program on my PC it said to set some stuff up on the Amiga,
so like a novice thought right here goes LOL,after finding the options on the Amiga I could not change them
because everytime I went to change them it came up with some fail errror on every option??
I have the Orig Amiga WB 3.0,Extras,Storage,Locale & Fonts Disk's but there is 1 disk with = Amiga A1200 HD Install WB 3.0 Master = on the label??
and when I put this disk in it loads up RDPrep 4.7 but I dont no how to use this program.
When I turn the Amiga on with out any disks it sits on a screen that has workbench at the top but no options up there if I left or right click and there is a box that says Not a Dos disk in device DH0 then the choice Retry or Cancel not sure what to do.
So im after some help on how to do 1 partition and then format so I can start playing all the games I played years ago :-))
I have spent days looking to find out how to do this and no luck YET so im hoping someone can help me out.
Many Thanks.

Old 04 October 2006, 11:25   #2
kriz

You should had a WB3.0; Install Disk.. This is bootable and you can format the harddrive from this..

Also a way to do this: Remove the harddrive from the Amiga and put it in you pc (XP) and install everything including games from WInUAE... There is many posts about this there...

Welcome to eab btw.
Old 04 October 2006, 17:34   #3
LazerBall

Many thanks for getting back so quick Kriz
I will have a go at hooking it up to my PC which I built so it should not be to hard lol
I just hope I can find some easy ways on this forum for sorting out what you have said.
Just hope its not to hard to sort the files out to put on the HD.
Would you know if it will be easy to format it and put all the WB Disks I have got onto the HD??(God PLEASE say it will be easy)lol
Many Thanks now im off for some

Old 04 October 2006, 17:59   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah if you can get winuae to recognise the drive it should be simple. I'd recommend following my guide in the FAQ section to install SFS (a better filesystem than the standard amiga one)
Old 06 October 2006, 18:57   #5
LazerBall

Thanks for the adivce Killer but one big problem with doing that is after I took out the HD I looked at the pins on the HD and there were some bent and some falling out which is not good then the plastic bit with the pins on fell off and to top it off the same day my PC HD died not my day I think lol.
Im now back online and with a new PC HD and a new 6gig HD on the way to me with WB3.1 on it costing me £37.00p
One last thing if anyone knows is Amiga Explorer any good for putting games onto an amiga with the cable you get with it
Many thanks

Old 06 October 2006, 19:13   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I admit I have all but good things about Amiga Explorer..
Old 06 October 2006, 20:52   #7
lopos2000
Zone Friend

The only good thing from Cloanto is the Amiga Explorer.