English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 May 2024, 14:08   #1
appiah4

Pit Fighter: The port that the world hated (and I loved)

I was browsing ebay today and came across a listing that sparked memories. Pit Fighter was a game that I, my sister and my cousin absolutely LOVED playing in 2 Player mode. We would play it for hours having mindless fun, and it would never get old. It was one of those guilty pleasures that, only today, I learned the world did not share, like, at all. I went online to do a google search on "Pit Fighter Amiga" and apparently this port seems to have been reviewed terribly by the press and appears to be generally reviled by most of the Amiga user base. To be honest, I'm pretty shocked and do not quite understand what the overwhelming negative reception may be due to. Did I just like it because I never played the arcade version so the port was not 'inferior' to 10 year old me? What did you guys think of this game at the time? Did anyone else actually enjoy it or am I the only one?
Old 07 May 2024, 15:32   #2
str0m

Nothing to add on the Amiga version but I played the arcade one for the first time Saturday at an arcade. For the time it looked quite good. I think the biggest issue is just the frame rate or lack of animation frames, makes it look so jerky when it actually plays quite fast.
Old 07 May 2024, 15:56   #3
Cris1997XX

I consider the game a pile of crap, the original arcade was already pretty bad in itself and this Amiga port makes it even worse. But on the bright side it's got an amazing intro tune by Matt Furniss
Old 07 May 2024, 16:54   #4
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
I was browsing ebay today and came across a listing that sparked memories. Pit Fighter was a game that I, my sister and my cousin absolutely LOVED playing in 2 Player mode. We would play it for hours having mindless fun, and it would never get old. It was one of those guilty pleasures that, only today, I learned the world did not share, like, at all. I went online to do a google search on "Pit Fighter Amiga" and apparently this port seems to have been reviewed terribly by the press and appears to be generally reviled by most of the Amiga user base. To be honest, I'm pretty shocked and do not quite understand what the overwhelming negative reception may be due to. Did I just like it because I never played the arcade version so the port was not 'inferior' to 10 year old me? What did you guys think of this game at the time? Did anyone else actually enjoy it or am I the only one?
Personally I like the game, I find it's very playable with a PSX controller using the analogue sticks. Nearly beaten it a few times, actually may be once. I think before I ever played it I was fascinated by the fact the arcade looked as good a MK actually even better (in my opinion anyways) so I was kinda curious to play the Amiga version.

I still like it and have stated so on this forum a few times now. Sure most think it's shit, but I have played worse games on the Amiga.

I believe out of all ports the Amiga is regarded as the best one. I feel weird saying that as it is despised as you have already pointed out.

**edit** I'm actually I'm going to go home later after work and play it as you have put me in the mood for it.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 07 May 2024 at 17:01.
Old 07 May 2024, 17:20   #5
rabidgerry

found this, some reviews love! Some do not!

https://www.amigareviews.leveluphost.com/pitfight.htm
Old 07 May 2024, 23:22   #6
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Its one of those games, that was actually converted as well as it could have been (IMO), from a poor arcade game.
To a degree the arcade was ahead of its time, if it had been released a bit later, I think it would have done well.
Old 07 May 2024, 23:28   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Arcade game was barely mediocre. The Amiga version was pure garbage then. That UK magazines gave 90% for that shit was always a good indicator...don't buy it. Hell even don't waste an empty disk for the cracked version. Even the SNES version was lousy.
Old 07 May 2024, 23:50   #8
Cris1997XX

I'd argue the Atari Lynx version was actually kinda good, but the irritating and chirpy music really starts to piss you off after like 5 minutes. It could've been even better if Atari allowed the developer to use a bigger cartridge
Old 08 May 2024, 02:23   #9
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Loved it- and played lots of it when I was 12. I felt it was impressive for amiga back then- and you could throw motorcycles...
Old 08 May 2024, 04:10   #10
Korban

I thought it was ok. Wasnt a huge fan, but I enjoyed it.
I do think the developers deserve some kudos though.
That's the way to scale down a (for its day) technically impressive arcade machine to much more limited machines in my opinion. The flavor of the arcade machine is retained and even manages to recreate some of the arcades machines visual flare (the scaling is reasonably impressive).
All cut back somewhat, but a good recreation within those cut backs.

n.b. Im referring to the Amiga (and to a lesser extent Atari St). Some of the home versions were terrible in every metric.

Last edited by Korban; 08 May 2024 at 05:04.
Old 08 May 2024, 13:30   #11
rabidgerry

I guess some people just enjoy different games. Not the first game I have enjoyed that is regarded as "rubbish".

The most annoying thing about the game for me is that you cannot start a new game and select a new character. I have often thought that perhaps the version I was playing was broken. Is anyone able to confirm the same thing happens for them?

I even went as far as buying a boxed version of the game from ebay so I could make my own WHDload install to see if it made a difference.

I still enjoy the game but hate the slow downs.
Old 08 May 2024, 15:49   #12
Bren McGuire

i can definitely bet you that you cant spend 2 seconds with it nowadays and neither with the arcade port it has not aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
Pit Fighter was a game that I, my sister and my cousin absolutely LOVED playing in 2 Player mode.
Old 09 May 2024, 01:50   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's just a punch and kick game though, I just don't understand how people can enjoy something like this. Not now, not back then. You punch and you kick... and not much else. Yeah throw some stuff. It's not dreadful (certainly compared to other fighting games), but it is boring and repetitive.

But I also get it. I love Crack Down even though the Amiga port is very rough and inaccurate gameplay-wise. I have many fond memories... playing it with my brother.
Old 09 May 2024, 08:28   #14
appiah4

Regarding the questions about what I actually enjoyed about the game: Two people against the computer opponents, never knowing when your friend will turn on you to start smacking you around instead; it was like playing monopoly, but with fists and kicks. We never cared about how far we got in the game, or how good it was technically as a fighting game. It was all about throwing bikes and stuff around (and IIRC your opponents as well, I vaguely remember how funny it was to beat your unsuspecting partner down and then pick him up and throw them onto a computer opponent) , being aple to punch the crowd, getting knifed by the crowd if you try to get out of the pit, etc were really funny and enjoyable to my 10 year old self. I don't remember a dull 2P game of it, not a single one. We would load the game, get into 2P and laugh our asses off for hours horsing around.
Old 09 May 2024, 09:11   #15
Brick Nash
Prototron

I've always had a soft spot for Pit-Fighter. It's not a good game, but I like the seedy atmosphere that it has.

I played it in the arcade and it was fine for a few shots. I thought the Amiga version was a good port of a so-so game, but I had fun with it while marvelling at the sprite scaling and awesome title music.

The Megadrive version was my favourite though. IMO it was by far the most playable, becasue by doing away with the scaling and widening the viewport it felt much smoother to play, whereas the others were too busy and jerky with everything going on.

Again, not a great game, but I think it's perfectly valid to like and enjoy something even though it isn't a 10/10.
Old 09 May 2024, 13:12   #16
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It's just a punch and kick game though, I just don't understand how people can enjoy something like this. Not now, not back then. You punch and you kick... and not much else. Yeah throw some stuff. It's not dreadful (certainly compared to other fighting games), but it is boring and repetitive.

But I also get it. I love Crack Down even though the Amiga port is very rough and inaccurate gameplay-wise. I have many fond memories... playing it with my brother.

There is one move I cannot do which I believe is a pile driver with the wrestler character. Everything else I can pull off.

Running headbutt
Running kick
Body Slam whilst opponent is down
kneeling on opponent and punching them whilst down
Some kind of suplex
Punch
Kick

Have I forgotten anything?

I wouldn't say it was a punch kick game, has as many moves or more than Double Dragon. In fact I spend most time not punching and kicking as going toe to toe in this game is futile and you have to try the other moves to get anywhere, shit but in a good way
Old 09 May 2024, 14:14   #17
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

I've probably played every Pit-Fighter port or recreation and the best home version is on the Mega Drive created by Tengen (Atari).

It plays good and feels more responsive than the arcade, some might even prefer the the zoomed out perspective (which works great for 2 player). The music is pretty much arcade identical too.
Old 09 May 2024, 21:42   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I wouldn't say it was a punch kick game, has as many moves or more than Double Dragon.
Double Dragon is a punch and kick game too, but at least it has some horizontal (and vertical) scrolling to it. And is moderately humorous at times which helps. Still not a game series I enjoy playing alone either.
Old 09 May 2024, 23:14   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I still can't believe they ported this turd to so many home systems, one worse than the other. Everything in it is boring, not only the gameplay design. And the controls? Oh boy!

@gimbal: Don't mention Double Dragon. The Amiga port....uh, what a pain. Even when you just watch gameplay clips.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 09 May 2024 at 23:27.
Old 10 May 2024, 01:51   #20
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I quite enjoyed the Arcade version actually and once even got rather far into and almost beat it. It's fairly shallow I guess if looking at it that way but as a one on one, the mechanics work very well and it feels satisfying especially when competent at it I would say. They used the same tech I think for Guardians in the Hood I think it was called which I randomly saw in a cinema lobby. Never did get to play it though

The Amiga version I also thought was a decent enough conversion or at least passable and the MD is maybe the best of the home versions

edit: yeah just looking at the Amiga version again, it's a rather good job to be fair considering the scaling and just how close they did manage to get it. It could have been much worse. We were pretty harsh critics back then because there's a lot of stuff now pointed out that I'm way more forgiving of and even I would pick at games back then. I've mellowed I think at the age of 50. As it is this game is converted pretty well and the spirit and feel of the Arcade is preserved I'd say and the reason I also liked it back then I guess

Last edited by Adropac2; 10 May 2024 at 02:14.