English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 June 2013, 12:44   #1
Kenan

Question regarding A1200 accelerators

I'm refering to the ones available at Amigakit. Do each of those models require extra power supply and if yes, what is the recommended power supply "addon" or mod for them?

Or can they just run fine after plugged in on the default PSU?

I also believe my MB revision would require (if I ever decide to go for one of those) timing fixes - what does that involve and how much of a hassle is it?

One more semi-related question - would installing the "common" trapdoor memory instead of accelerator (and in combination with 3.1. roms) allow me to run OS 3.5 and higher? Not so interested in games as much as apps themselves and using it in a "desktop" envirorment.

Thank you.
Old 02 June 2013, 12:54   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
I'm refering to the ones available at Amigakit. Do each of those models require extra power supply and if yes, what is the recommended power supply "addon" or mod for them?

Or can they just run fine after plugged in on the default PSU?
They can work with the stock PSU but it's going to be marginal on putout, especially the light A600/A1200 bricks.

The A500 PSU's (4.2/4.5amp) are better (as long as they are in good working condition) or even better still converted ATX which you can do yourself (if you have the skills/tools) or buy from Amigakit:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=866

Quote:
I also believe my MB revision would require (if I ever decide to go for one of those) timing fixes - what does that involve and how much of a hassle is it?
It's pot luck, does not matter what revision you have, you can read more here:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html

(Amigakit can do the fixes BTW)

Quote:
One more semi-related question - would installing the "common" trapdoor memory instead of accelerator (and in combination with 3.1. roms) allow me to run OS 3.5 and higher? Not so interested in games as much as apps themselves and using it in a "desktop" envirorment.

Thank you.
You could run OS3.5 or OS3.9 with just 4mb fast Ram although you wont see much of it left over, with 8mb you can get some use out of them but will be slow (especially 3.9)

I suggest looking at the Classic Workbench packs:

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Full is good if you have 8mb Ram and Lite is better if just 4mb

The main difference is Full uses Scalos:

http://scalos.noname.fr/
Old 02 June 2013, 13:01   #3
Kenan

^^Thank you for the very informative reply. I guess I'm gonna pass on the accelerators, too much hassle for me and would prolly look for the trapdoor memory (when it gets available) instead.
Old 02 June 2013, 14:29   #4
Coltch

If you can get an 030 for a good price you won't regret it, I have one A1200 with 4MB of ram and one with an ACA1231 - the difference is mind boggling (both are using standard PSU's).
Old 02 June 2013, 14:36   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@kenan,

I would get an accelerator from Amigakit.
The question of PSU output is not an issue. Having used older Blizzard and Apollo accelerators in many different A1200 with a range of PSUs, power output was never a problem.

An accelerator is marginally mare expensive than RAM, but massively more useful! Buy one!
Old 02 June 2013, 15:20   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

It amazes me that people will spend hundreds on hardware but skimp on the PSU, power is the most important part IMO.

Using a 20 year old 22.5w PSU to power an accelerated A1200 might be ok for a short time but imagine the strain you're putting on that old PSU!

Do your hardware a favor and use a decent PSU with good strong 5v
Old 02 June 2013, 15:50   #7
amigakit.com

Due to the high pricing on Ebay recently, you will often get a 20-year old RAM card for the A1200 with no warranty at a price that is more expensive than buying the brand new A1220 accelerator we sell with warranty. However, we are still getting customers contacting us every week that buy from Ebay first at inflated prices and then phone us for support and help.
Old 02 June 2013, 16:03   #8
Kenan

^^Well yeah, but really, the timing issues with the accelerators vs board, the soldering stuff..I'm really not too enthusiastic about having to purchase a hardware at a not-so-cheap price (which is quite understandble) and then to dig inside my motherboard, trying to make it work and hope in the process, I don't screw something up.

If it wasn't for the timing issue, if it was just plug and play..then I might eventually go for an accelerator and an additional PSU..
Old 02 June 2013, 23:24   #9
Kenan

Is there any type of Accelerator that does not require messing with mobo and timing fixes?
Old 02 June 2013, 23:29   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

I think the old Blizzard ones usually work without timing fixes.

Edit: Regarding power supply, my A1200 with ACA1232 actually uses less power (measured on the 230V side) than my A600 does without any additions.. I guess newer ICs also means lower idle power consumption. Besides I'll never put a big plain ugly ATX PSU on my desk, but I'm considering putting a PicoPSU into one of my Amiga PSU casings to get a modern and more powerful PSU for it.

Last edited by demolition; 02 June 2013 at 23:34.
Old 03 June 2013, 00:10   #11
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think the old Blizzard ones usually work without timing fixes.
Are these by any chance available at Amigakit or some other web shop or they can only be found on Ebay and ads?
Old 03 June 2013, 00:22   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

Amibay (and other Amiga forums) and Ebay mainly yes. Ebay is usually quite expensive though. The cheapest Blizzard 1230 I can find atm on Ebay is selling for £130. Amount of RAM is not specified.
Old 03 June 2013, 12:38   #13
Kenan

Just realized my mobo is 1D4 revision which does indeed seem to require (in some cases at least) timing fixes for certain accelerators. I did a search and it seems it needs fixes for 040 and onwards accelerators only?

What about this one, if I decided to purchase:
http://amigastore.eu/en/189-aca-1220-16.html

What are the chances of compatibility? Or is it a lucky dip?

Thanks.
Old 03 June 2013, 12:52   #14
demolition
Unregistered User

All MB revisions could require timing fixes for any ACA accelerators, there are no guarantees. My 1D4 needed timing fixes before it would work properly with the ACA1232.
Old 03 June 2013, 13:19   #15
roy bates

its was true years ago that some revisions of motherboard did require timing fixes if the card didnt work.revision 1.d.4 onwards

although its not the same timing fix from what ive seen.for the aca cards.

ive been reminded of this a few times.
Old 03 June 2013, 13:35   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Just realized my mobo is 1D4 revision which does indeed seem to require (in some cases at least) timing fixes for certain accelerators. I did a search and it seems it needs fixes for 040 and onwards accelerators only?

What about this one, if I decided to purchase:
http://amigastore.eu/en/189-aca-1220-16.html

What are the chances of compatibility? Or is it a lucky dip?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
All MB revisions could require timing fixes for any ACA accelerators, there are no guarantees. My 1D4 needed timing fixes before it would work properly with the ACA1232.
Indeed and the key word here is 'could' I have tried ACA's in 5 differnt A1200's all different revisions and only one showed issues.

That was a rev 1D1 board, not that it matters and the problem was the PCMCIA port and my FastATA would not work if the ACA was installed, all other functionality was fine.

The other 4 A1200's have had/have no issues with the ACA's so if my tests are anything to go by then you're less likely to have issues. So in my experience, 1 out of 5 or 20%

It's also worth noting I'm using an ATX PSU for my tests and 3 of my A1200's have had the capacitors replaced.

One of my 1D4 boards already had timing fixes done (for my Blizzard PPC) but was not re-capped. It since died anyway
Old 03 June 2013, 18:50   #17
amigakit.com

@Kenan

We have the ACA range of accelerator cards in stock here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...x.php?cPath=43
Old 03 June 2013, 19:07   #18
demolition
Unregistered User

It's only 10 posts ago that you 'reminded' him of that, I'm sure he knows.

Edit: He even talks about Amigakit in his original post..
Old 05 June 2013, 18:17   #19
GadgetUK

I went for the ACA 1220 128MB Accelerator

My mobo is the same revision as yours and it 'just worked' without any timing fixes. It's pot luck to a certain degree.

If you are a serious gamer I would go for a 128Mb board over an 8Mb board any day. There are numerous games that just don't work without more than 8Mb and the slightly faster CPU and insane amount of additional RAM makes it run much better.
Old 05 June 2013, 18:28   #20
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetUK View Post
I went for the ACA 1220 128MB Accelerator

My mobo is the same revision as yours and it 'just worked' without any timing fixes. It's pot luck to a certain degree.

If you are a serious gamer I would go for a 128Mb board over an 8Mb board any day. There are numerous games that just don't work without more than 8Mb and the slightly faster CPU and insane amount of additional RAM makes it run much better.
I'm still on the verge about getting it. 50-50% right now.
Since I don't plan on upgrading to 3.1. and onwards ie. sticking with my good old 3.0 KS/ Workbench (3.1.) I'm not sure if WHDLoad games are reason enough to beef up my Amiga with an accelerator. Besides games, I do like to mess around with apps like Scala, DPaint etc.

BTW, I was told that the timing issue is not "end-of-all" type of problem ie. if it's indeed present, it may reflect on handful of (WHDLoad) games while I should be able to boot up my amiga and use the memory with other games/tasks?