English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 June 2005, 19:06   #1
jmbattle

Floppy disk AIAB r10.5 released - celebrating WinUAE v1.0

Hello folks!

Well, to mark the release of WinUAE v1.0, I have updated the AIAB package. As always, it requires a Kickstart 3.0/3.1 ROM a Workbench 3.0/3.1 ADF and a reasonably high-spec PC.

Give it a try, and tell me what you think - it's only a 4mb download, so what have you got to lose?

Cheers,
James

AmigaInABox - the original & best.

Last edited by jmbattle; 19 June 2005 at 01:02.
Old 05 June 2005, 22:56   #2
Bloodwych

Wow, what an active weekend! AmigaSYS 2.0, WinUAE 1.0 and one of the original well known pre-installed workbenches gets a face lift!

I still don't believe it! AIAB updated and brought upto speed.

Great work James - I have yet to install and fully test but it looks fantastic. I know people have been badgering you for an update for ages and it's nice to see you bringing this pack back into the light.

You really need to update the website though - perhaps someone else can do it if you don't have time. AIAB is a nostalgic emu product and I'd like the site updated and kept alive.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 June 2005 at 20:04.
Old 06 June 2005, 01:01   #3
jmbattle

Thanks for the feedback man!

Yes, I should really update the website, but it's all so out-of-date; I wouldn't know where to begin...apart from junking the whole thing and starting from scratch. Unfortunately, I cannot really warrant spending time on AIAB anymore (after this update atleast...)

Cheers,
James
Old 06 June 2005, 01:34   #4
oldpx

That's unexpected but very nice!

Old 06 June 2005, 02:56   #5
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I'll definitely check it out later on!

AIAB was part of my first experience with Amiga emulation, and it definitely made it a pleasent and easier one. Over the years I've grown to prefer Bloodwych's ClassicWB because it's closer to the "real thing" but it doesn't mean that I don't remember AIAB as the portal it once was.

In other words, thanks for the update.
Old 06 June 2005, 21:51   #6
Bloodwych

Absolutely brilliant!

Once again great attention shown to detail. Much thought has obviously gone into its layout and operation which I really respect.

James this is a superb workbench and nearly tempted me to switch from my own so I can’t complement it any more than that.

TRY IT OUT GUYS! James has completely overhauled it and it really is A*.

One thing I particularly like is the updated Scalos, menus, requesters and Icons. The overall look blends together SOOO well.

I’ve always shied away from using the beta Scalos versions but I may switch now I’ve seen you've successfully integrated it. Tell me, will it display PGN games icons that commonly come with WHDload games correctly? Haven’t had chance to test yet.

And have you found any issues with this newer Scalos? Any older issues fixed? I’d love to know!

It’s now firmly placed alongside my own setups and AmigaSYS on my Retrobox. Damn I love WinUAE. No need to scratch your head deciding which to use – have them all installed and games on a separate partition!

I’d say AmigaSYS has the most installed with some nice themes for OS3.9 owners but AIAB is the most refined, customised and efficient. The install is only 5MB for goodness sakes! I can’t comment on the ClassicWB because it’s designed for lower end real Amiga’s plus I’d be bias of my own work.

A few issues that hit me James (if you do have anymore enthusiasm left to refine):
  • The install procedure – it says “in a moment you will be prompted for your workbench ADF”, but when you hit “return to begin…” it expects the disk to be present without asking for it!
  • Virus Checker – I really think you should include VirusZ III and the latest definition file, or update your page and have it as an application addon.
  • AmiStart – I don’t think it’s compatible with Workbench 3.0 ROM/disk. All I know is when I installed using Workbench 3.1 ROM/disk, it worked fine so you may want to test and add this info to the install procedure.

You seem to have altered the startup-sequence and general layout quite a bit from the original workbench. For instance, I can’t find env etc in RAM and I think you’re probably running some utility that handles this. Plus you've removed some files and folders associated with a full workbench install. I’m not sure if changes from the standard workbench affects compatibility in certain situations but I feel a little lost here and there due your different layout and startup-sequence. I think Thomas has mentioned this in the past and been a little critical. On the other hand that’s what makes AIAB so unique. It’s almost like a completely new Amiga OS and as long as it runs games and demos correctly who really cares?

Well done and thanks!
Old 07 June 2005, 15:03   #7
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
@ Bloodwych. I want to have a look at this update.. I have winuae pre-installed with a few configs on the go!! how will this install affect that? I don`t want to mess up what I have now.. should I go for a different install path? or can I just run aiab.exe, let it find winuae.exe and let it go and do stuff ( will it just create a new config and folders? )

cheers
Old 07 June 2005, 15:16   #8
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

This doesnt install a HDF does it? I unarchived the LHA file or whatever and it makes dirs all over the PC - I have to admit I liked ClassicWB more in that respect.
Old 07 June 2005, 20:59   #9
Bloodwych

Guys, just exract the WinUAE/Hardrives directory contents to a folder of your choice from James' archive. Drop the supplied config file in the winuae configurations directory (or set one up yourself), start WinUAE and load the config. Then add a 3.x ROM file and mount the directories (Workbench, HD-Games, Applications) in the WinUAE harddrives tab, save the new config and run it.
Old 08 June 2005, 01:53   #10
BullDuck
Moonstone Roxx

Am I the only one who doesn't get any start menu from aiab 10.5 when I install it in a fresh winuae 1.0 without any older aiab???
Old 08 June 2005, 11:12   #11
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDuck
Am I the only one who doesn't get any start menu from aiab 10.5 when I install it in a fresh winuae 1.0 without any older aiab???

Didnt Bloodwych report "AmiStart – I don’t think it’s compatible with Workbench 3.0 ROM/disk. All I know is when I installed using Workbench 3.1 ROM/disk, it worked fine so you may want to test and add this info to the install procedure."

Did U use WB3 or 3.1???
Old 08 June 2005, 18:40   #12
BullDuck
Moonstone Roxx

I've used wb.3.1
Old 08 June 2005, 21:56   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I just install AIAB and it worked with Amistart for me with WB3.0 so it must be something else U selected? I have KS3.0 and selected Classic look with the "new" icons option. Its been SO LONG since I used an Amiga I wondered what I had.

WOW... AMAZING. Actually all credit to ALL the AIAB and Clone authors (ClassicWb, AmigaSYS etc). What I do like a LOT about AIAB is that you can have a basic setup and add modules. For me it would be even nicer if there was a MORE basic setup and options to add a gazillion separate modules at your choice.

Yes, helluva lot of work but even better. I'm gonna have to download the HD game installs and have a play. If only there was an /X BBS package to install!!!

Respect James (and Bloodwych) for these great packages
Old 08 June 2005, 23:25   #14
BullDuck
Moonstone Roxx

I've just tried the same options as U ks3.0 New Icon and classic, but still I don't get the start menu and the other menu at the bottom of the screen that I can see in the pic from the new aiab site
Old 08 June 2005, 23:49   #15
jmbattle

Methanoid, glad everything worked for you, and that Kickstart 3.0 is still compatible - I had visions of having to ask users for their Workbench 3.9 CDs (readily available, and undoubtedly obtained legally...)!

I'm also pleased that you managed to get over the fact that AIAB uses folders for harddrives, rather than .hdf files - by the way, what was with the 'I unarchived the LHA file or whatever and it makes dirs all over the PC' comment? Surely you realise that compression clients extract archives to the location you specify; this shouldn't be a problem unless you choose C:\ as the destination, and even then, all AIAB archives utilise the same 'WinUAE\..' folder path!

>I have KS3.0 and selected Classic look with the "new" icons option.

Lol! And to think of the amont of time I spent working on the updated VisualPrefs theme and PNG icons... Oh well, atleast the non-icandy configurations are still available - I had very nearly considered junking all the old-style icons and 'classic' UI stuff!

>WOW... AMAZING.

Thanks

>What I do like a LOT about AIAB is that you can have a basic setup and add modules.

Yes, this was always my intention - a small(ish) base package that can be expanded with add-on packs. Although it's a shame the add-ons are so few, and out-of-date; I doubt they even work anymore...

>For me it would be even nicer if there was a MORE basic setup and options to
>add a gazillion separate modules at your choice.

Yes, this is how I wanted it all along. I experimented with online installers, such as using NSIS to create a tiny AIAB.exe that connected to the web to download different user-selectable packages for backgrounds, iconsets, fonts, web browsers etc. The functionality to do so is all there; many aspects of AIAB are very module in their nature and can be added/removed, enabled/disabled at will (as you have already experienced), however such functionality would not have proved popular with non-Windows users, and may further alienate newbies who already struggle to get going with things as they are, despite my efforts to make AIAB as simple to 'install' as possible.

Would you believe that a few years ago, I would often receive emails from users complaining of the 'large filesize' of AIAB! Sure the package has gradually grown in size over the years as new features were added, however even with the considerable improvements in the latest version (have you seen the changelog?!), the entire packge is still only just over 4mb (the 7zip archive is 4,241,492) - hopefully small enough for folks on dial-up (including some of the neighbouring villages here in Japan).

>I'm gonna have to download the HD game installs and have a play.

Oooh, be careful! I haven't actually tested any of the old add-on packages, but fingers crossed you will be okay. It shames me to say it, but I cannot remember the last time I actually played a game using WinUAE; in my opinion the compability advances of UAE have made whdload installed fixes largely unnecessary, beyond speeding-up load times of course.

>If only there was an /X BBS package to install!!!

Ah, you truly are a classic Amiga user! Goodness, to think of the hundreds of pounds I clocked up surfing BBSs (before 6pm) in my A500 youth! (wipes a tear from his eye)

>Respect James (and Bloodwych) for these great packages

Cheers,
James

Last edited by jmbattle; 09 June 2005 at 00:02.
Old 09 June 2005, 00:06   #16
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

err OK you are right... there is a problm... I thought I had AmiStart but I dont!
Old 09 June 2005, 00:28   #17
jmbattle

Hello!

Okay, if you have a Kickstart 3.1 rom, please try using this. If it still doesn't work, I'm afraid you will have to use ScreenTab (the other option). This isn't such a problem - it's still a great startmenu, but it was developed around the golden era of eight colour MagicWB screens, so doesn't scale-up terribly well to truecolour icandy.

I may have to upload a fixed version that prevents the option requestor appearing on KS3.0 systems.

Cheers,
James
Old 09 June 2005, 00:28   #18
Exoskeletor

in the old days i was loving amiga in a box but now.. too little updates (in fact, no updates) its like this project is dead. too bad
Old 09 June 2005, 01:07   #19
jmbattle

Erm...
Old 09 June 2005, 01:13   #20
Exoskeletor

yes i have read this. its just one update.
anyway how we can use aiab and amigasys together? if i install aiab over amigasys im going to have any problems?