English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 September 2018, 23:59   #1
sketaful

Setting up the keyboard in WinUAE?

Installing, configuring and running WinUAE wasn't much of a problem. Just followed some guides and done! Even made it look a bit better and most games are run through WHDLoad (which is nicely free now).

The problem I've run into is that the keyboard is all wrong. Well. Regular keys work in-game as it should but the numpad keys doesn't work.

Is there an easy way to configure the numpad so all keys there work as they should? Playing eob or civilization is really a lot more uhm "work" when you can't use the numbad to control directions.

Cheers
Old 21 September 2018, 09:48   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You probably have numpad (Layout A) joystick emulation enabled. Check GamePorts panel.

("All wrong" if few numpad keys don't seem to work?)
Old 23 September 2018, 23:31   #3
sketaful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
You probably have numpad (Layout A) joystick emulation enabled. Check GamePorts panel.

("All wrong" if few numpad keys don't seem to work?)
No I don't. Turned off gameport (and had gameport use an actual joystick as well) but it just doesn't work.

I managed to find some keys by reconfigure them. So by changing one of the numpads to HOME it worked etc but not found all of them and the numpad really doesn't work.

I thought it was a problem with my laptop at first but had the same problem on my stationary computer so don't really know why. Maybe it's because I use Swedish keymap? Or Swedish on the regular keyboard? Guess I'll change language and try again, but don't understand why this should be a problem.

If I do a test in Winuae on the bindings I get "NUMPAD 0x4B - Numpad 4" when I press numpad 4 so by name it seem to work but it really doesn't. Ingame in doesn't work at all unless I change all the keys.

I have an Amiga 500 with Swedish keyboard and on that it all works ingame as well to be able to steer in (for example) Eye of the Beholder 2, but in Winuae nothing happens if I try to use the numpad in the same game.
Old 24 September 2018, 08:29   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you get numbers in shell window if you boot to plain WB, open CLI and press numpad keys?

Windows side regional settings won't have any effect but Amiga side keymap can. If you have use HD setup, boot without startup-sequence and then do above numpad test.

"Numpad X" in test mode means correct keycode is sent to Amiga side.

Just to confirm that there is no unknown input weirdness, set both game ports joystick/mouse settings to none and input panel mode to "Game Ports panel".

You have quite strange problems