View Single Post
Old 03 July 2020, 10:42   #1184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It really does matter how you were first introduced to it. For me it came as a complete shocker. I used to go around a school mates' house nearly every day and we'd play classic PC games like Wolf3D, XWing, Dune 2 and Sam & Max on his 386 machine. It's where I learned to use Dos long before I had a PC of my own. It was a quaint little machine with 40mb of harddrive space and 2mb of ram.

And then all of a sudden one day I come by in the weekend, and I learn that he had upgraded his machine to 4mb of memory for which he had been saving for eons (mindblowing at the time). Why? Because he got Doom. I didn't even know that the game existed, even though Doom 2 was also already out. I was so stuck in Amiga land it had completely passed me by that there was some kind of gaming sensation going on. And the bleeper never mentioned it to me once, he kept it a complete secret.

When I saw it boot up for the first time, the skull in the menu and and the menacing music and then the first glimpse of the 3D world which was infinitely more detailed than Wolf3D... it didn't matter that it moved choppy and we had to reduce the screen size, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen - and heard, because the music is still legendary even in general midi form.

Page generated in 0.07361 seconds with 11 queries