English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Classic Workbench Question (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47891)

Kitty 07 October 2009 02:36

Classic Workbench Question

I started installing Classic Workbench and its installed and seems to be fine despite this error that came up, is this anything to worry about?
The installation completed ok it said.
There was also another similar error thrown up but I didnt get time to screengrab it.

http://i33.tinypic.com/i1i81e.jpg

Kitty 07 October 2009 02:42

Hmm think I may have messed up somewhere, I reset and when loading the ClassicWB.uae again it just boots into Kick3.1, was I supposed to save the config again before first reboot?

Kitty 07 October 2009 03:25

OK i tried a new installation CWB Full got to the end of install and reboot and it boots into kick3.1, nothing else, what am I doing wrong?

tero 07 October 2009 03:34

You mean it boot's to standart 3.1 Workbench? maybe you have
the Workbench disk in df0?

I have the error for the missing generic input too, but the install
seems to be correct and it boots straight to CWB.

Retro-Nerd 07 October 2009 03:36

You installed the necessary WB files from a valid (unmodified) original WB 3.0/3.1 disk image? After copying a few copyrighted original files you should remove the WB disk image and WinUAE boots straight into ClassicWB after a reset. Never seen this message on your screenshot.

NewDeli 07 October 2009 03:48

I am not very familiar with ClassicWB, but I don't remember the installation being anything special. It just checks for a valid WB 3.1 disk image, possibly copies files from it, and then voila.
Which version did you download (LITE, FULL...) ? I think UAE is the one to choose, isn't it R-N ?

I can send you the HDF "post-configured" if you want. It's less than 30Megs rar'd, bundled with the Hardware part of the
custom config (oh noes :scream :p !) I use myself; So you would be able to load it in a snap from WinUAE (theoretically).

Note that I have this in my Amiga PC folders merely for testing purposes. It looks nice though, compared to 3.1 !
Also, your FPS counter should not fluctuate like this from the default value : 50. Doesn't look too good, but at least you don't have that inferior border bug.

Kitty 07 October 2009 03:50

I tried both, I think maybe Im clicking the restart button and not reset after installation?

Retro-Nerd 07 October 2009 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 602213)
I tried both, I think maybe Im clicking the restart button and not reset after installation?

Could be possible. You can also build you own config for this, you are not bound with the provided one. Select a A1200 Quickstart config with Fastram and add the (hopefully) already activated HDF as DH0: in the hard drive tab, then save it and boot.

TCD 07 October 2009 09:25

About the original error : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=556174#post556174
Just use another (unmodified) disk.

Retro-Nerd 07 October 2009 09:39

A useless missing generic printer driver file? Then it's probably easier for Kitty to reinstall a fresh inactivated HDF, with a proper WB image. :)

TCD 07 October 2009 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 602261)
Then it's probably easier for Kitty to reinstall a fresh inactived HDF, with a proper WB image. :)

Yep, just start from scratch with a 'good' WB disk :)

Kitty 09 October 2009 02:35

I figured out the problem I was having with Classic Workbench.

Quote:

Add the "System.hdf" file to the Hard Drives tab using "Add Hardfile" - make sure it's listed as being device DH0:
DH0: < I was using that exactly when it should be DH0, using it with the ':' makes the path to the hdf wrong, for some reason the ':' ends up in front of the hdf path resulting in this, :C:\Program Files\WinUAE\hdf\System.hdf when it should be this, C:\Program Files\WinUAE\hdf\System.hdf

If its wrong it boots back to Kickstart, if its right, well it boots into Classic Workbench.

Here is my end result :D

http://i35.tinypic.com/30hwi01.jpg

There is still one small problem, I couldnt get the config to boot automatically as default, even though i renamed it Default.uae ?

Kitty 09 October 2009 02:37

Also is WHDLoad installed with Classic Workbench Lite, or have I gotta install that all again :(

TCD 09 October 2009 02:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 602876)
There is still one small problem, I couldnt get the config to boot automatically as default, even though i renamed it Default.uae ?

By 'boot' you mean start automatically? When you renamed your config 'default.uae' you should just click on 'Start' and it should just do that ;)

Retro-Nerd 09 October 2009 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 602877)
Also is WHDLoad installed with Classic Workbench Lite, or have I gotta install that all again :(

Everything is preinstalled, except the renamed KS 1.3+KS 3.1 files in Devs:Kickstarts.

Kitty 09 October 2009 02:49

Quote:

By 'boot' you mean start automatically? When you renamed your config 'default.uae' you should just click on 'Start' and it should just do that
it asks for the kick rom, if I click start it goes to kickstart unless I load the kick rom first.
Either that or its not loading my default config as it should.

Where is WHDLoad in Classic Workbench then? I couldnt find it!

Kitty 09 October 2009 02:53

Nope it not loading from default.uae, I double checked, this is weird

Kitty 09 October 2009 02:56

I just noticed theres a winuae_161_20091009_012017.dmp file in the winuae folder, although I dont remember it crashing at all

Kitty 09 October 2009 03:04

damn it, now its crashed lol, also it wont load the hdf now, I dunno what I done, Classic Workbench dont agree with me, I think I will use my previous WinUAE, at least that actually works correctly lol

Is there a way to just have the Classic Workbench background wallpaper on a regular install of winuae with workbench 3.1 installed on the hardrive?

NewDeli 09 October 2009 03:06

There's no real gain in booting directly the WB with the default config, except if for some reason you want the GUI turned off all the way through (it's a feature used in game frontends, most notably).

The "default" config should be highlighted when you start WinUAE, then click load and it will be into memory.

WHDLoad should be found in C:, but it won't hurt to update it with the latest version.