English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Killergorilla's WHD packs (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   FIXED: Devious Designs (problem resolved!) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31500)

Shoonay 07 June 2007 10:21

FIXED: Devious Designs (problem resolved!)

Just tried Devious Designs on a real A1200 blizz030/32mb with the newest WHDLoad and about 6 previous, and it exits with an error message... :crying

KG? could you please check?... :bowdown

killergorilla 07 June 2007 10:34

Yeah I'll see if I can this weekend. I've not touched any whdload stuff since I returned from my holiday (which is also why the May pack hasn't materialised yet!)

I should get a chance to sit down at the computer on saturday and sunday.

What error do you get? Oh and when does the error appear?

Shoonay 07 June 2007 10:42

Aaah, skip it, nocache nommu fixes the problem, sorry for the trouble thanks for the care :D

killergorilla 07 June 2007 11:04

Ah magic :)

Codetapper 07 June 2007 13:31

Just to clarify, Devious Designs does not need NoMMU or NoCache. The slave was updated a year ago which fixed the WHDLoad 16.6 compatibility problem.

Everyone reporting bugs please make sure you are using the latest slaves!

killergorilla 07 June 2007 13:39

Aye, too true.

People should be using the versions from my packs anyway as this is what this thread (which needs a bit of updating) is about!

Unless you are using the packs from my site (or whdownload) then please do not post your errors here!

Shoonay 07 June 2007 13:45

Yes, I am using the latest slave, the latest WHDLoad and yes, KG who just posted below, the version from your pack :]...

The error sais:
Quote:

Exception "Access Fault" ($B008)
PC = $EA2C
Word Write to $103813DA
---=== EDITED ===---
Found what's wrong:
I had the MMU set in the WHDLoad.prefs file, just tagged it ";" againg, and the game works with the usual whdload *.slave preload :blased
So even when the MMU is set on it's not working, by disabling it with the nommu command it works. Check!

killergorilla 07 June 2007 14:00

You tried the version from my pack?

Codetapper 07 June 2007 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay
Yes, I am using the latest slave, the latest WHDLoad and yes, KG who just posted below, the version from your pack :]...

I had the MMU set in the WHDLoad.prefs file, just tagged it ";" againg, and the game works with the usual whdload *.slave preload :blased
So even when the MMU is set on it's not working, by disabling it with the nommu command it works. Check!

OK that's not the standard control error that most of the bugs in this thread are - so the slave has an access fault on your config (writing to memory it shouldn't be) and needs to be fixed.

However, I just played the game now on my Amiga and I didn't get that error so the team will need more information about how to replicate it, when it occurs etc to have any hope of it being fixed! (Assuming it's not an emulator problem)

Shoonay 07 June 2007 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper
Assuming it's not an emulator problem

Nope, a real A1200 Blizz 030/50MHz/32MB here, on a ClassicWB with a few extra patches (FBlit, *NOT* MCP). Since it's just me with that error, and it's kind of easly fixed (for good? - tried 11 levels and worked), I've not wanted to couse some unnecessary work. ;)

killergorilla 09 August 2007 12:56

Shoonay, did that fix the error completely for you?

Want to know if this has been put to rest or not :)

Shoonay 09 August 2007 14:08

Well, yes... kinda...
Just tested it with the newest beta WHDLoad - acts like with the older one.
Assuming that I don't use the mmu (or disable it with the nommu command) the game works great. ;)

killergorilla 09 August 2007 14:17

Fair enough!

I've personally never had MMU set although I have a 68030, and I've never had any problems without it.

I see the documentation recommends you set it. How strange. I'll take a look at setting it in my prefs file :)

Retro-Nerd 09 August 2007 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay (Post 349827)
Well, yes... kinda...
Just tested it with the newest beta WHDLoad - acts like with the older one.
Assuming that I don't use the mmu (or disable it with the nommu command) the game works great. ;)

Crashes with an "Access Fault" here too, with MMU enabled. I've disabled the MMU in the whdload.prefs. You should try it too, Shoonay. You had similar problems with other games, IIRC.

killergorilla 09 August 2007 17:06

030 has mmu disabled by default anyway so you don't need to have nommu set in the prefs :)

Anyway, this problem is solved really, just make sure you don't have MMU set for it. Another one bites the dust.

Retro-Nerd 09 August 2007 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergorilla (Post 349845)
030 has mmu disabled by default anyway so you don't need to have nommu set in the prefs :)

You are right, of course. Just forgot it again. Yes, this game runs flawless.

Shoonay 09 August 2007 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 349843)
Crashes with an "Access Fault" here too, with MMU enabled. I've disabled the MMU in the whdload.prefs. You should try it too, Shoonay. You had similar problems with other games, IIRC.

It's not that I can't live without MMU, even if enabled doesn't do much good...

Another thing is, if I test a game - I do it with all the possible command combinations, etc. That's all.
There are games that can be easly fixed *or* not - don't work properly with a specific mode (Yo!Joe! in NTSC anyone? ;)), so why not fix/be aware of that specific problem, from the very start?

Retro-Nerd 09 August 2007 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay (Post 349848)
It's not that I can't live without MMU, even if enabled doesn't do much good...

Another thing is, if I test a game - I do it with all the possible command combinations, etc. That's all.
There are games that can be easly fixed *or* not - don't work properly with a specific mode (Yo!Joe! in NTSC anyone? ;)), so why not fix/be aware of that specific problem, from the very start?

You should quote a WHDLoad slave coder for this, not me. :D

Shoonay 09 August 2007 17:35

No, that was my explanation just for you :p
Come on R-N, I know it's summer time and we're all too lazy, but you're NOT going to convince me that you test those slaves only by clicking on it's icon or with:
WHDLoad *.slave preload

:)

If a slave coder wants to fix that specific combination/configuration is yet *another* thing... ;) :D

Retro-Nerd 09 August 2007 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay (Post 349850)
No, that was my explanation just for you :p
Come on R-N, I know it's summer time and we're all too lazy, but you're NOT going to convince me that you test those slaves only by clicking on it's icon or with:
WHDLoad *.slave preload

:)

The most games from KG's packs works fine with the default settings. If a games crashes i try to fix it with the common tool types or try to install another version. No, i don't tinker with some settings unless it is needed. ;)