English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.aGTW (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Another Unreleased Game - Blaze (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80345)

edd_jedi 16 November 2015 14:46

Another Unreleased Game - Blaze

Haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, an amazing looking Sonic clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDlr4BGI4HY

Looking forward to trying it out later :)

edd_jedi 16 November 2015 14:47

More info here:

https://keithbugeja.wordpress.com/20...e-memory-lane/

s2325 16 November 2015 14:52

:great Some screenshots were posted here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=blaze ADF also in the Zone.

Amiga1992 16 November 2015 15:59

Wow that game looks great!

mc68060 16 November 2015 16:21

Wow, this is seriously amazing! It even has those Sonic loops! Definitely the best Sonic clone on the Amiga. Unfortunately, there are only two levels but it clearly shows that the A500 could have handled a Sonic clone. Great!

Retro-Nerd 16 November 2015 16:39

Nice, but of course it runs in 25Hz/fps. Full 50fps at that speed? Maybe on AGA only.

edd_jedi 16 November 2015 17:18

I'm going to try it on my real Amiga later, will report back how it runs. From the video it looks like the best platform game I've ever seen on the Amiga. Granted much of it is lifted from Sonic, but it's incredibly well executed and puts most commercial games to shame.

Joe Maroni 16 November 2015 18:50

1 Attachment(s)
new stuff for AGTW.....:great
and a gamemap of the first level...:D

I think we have enough talents here on board to complete the game....:)

edit: full map will be added with HOL entry...:)

Adrian Browne 16 November 2015 19:55

It's sonic the hedgehog in all but name. Looks impressive except for the distant background - it needs some colour.
But perhaps the lack of detail in the background was a trade off for speed?

Amiga1992 16 November 2015 20:36

Did anyone manage to get this running on their real A1200?
If I run it from Workbench on a mounted ADF, I get graphic corruption.

Trying to run it from disk has failed several times, I think all my blank diskettes are fucked.

Trying to softkick my A1200 to 1.3 results in the system not recognizing the disk. It says DF0:BAD on Workbench. The bootblock is non-standard for some reason, but I couldn't recognize if it was a virus or not. Viruschecker came out clean but I don't have BootX to check the bootblock.

Can anybody investigate?

PortuguesePilot 16 November 2015 21:15

This is extremely impressive technically and gameplay-wise and proves that, in the hands of a crafty programmer, the simple A500 was capable of pulling a proper Sonic clone. We can only imagine what a A1200 would be able to pull off!

How unfortunate that this game wasn't finished. I reckon that adding more levels, menus, music and sound would "weight" the game down a bit and I also agree that the backgrounds deserved at least some different colours (this sort of game looks always better when there are plenty of primary colours on screen). But what we get to see from this simple preview is already very impressive.

Owing to the Sonic-craze that, as many of you probably remember, was very palpable back in the day, Blaze would have made it big on the Amiga had it been sold as a finished product.

Mrs Beanbag 16 November 2015 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 1051177)
Nice, but of course it runs in 25Hz/fps. Full 50fps at that speed? Maybe on AGA only.

I reckon A500 could handle 50fps, scrolling isn't that much of an overhead and there's really not that much CPU work going on, the Megadrive doesn't have faster CPU than A500 anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Browne (Post 1051213)
It's sonic the hedgehog in all but name. Looks impressive except for the distant background - it needs some colour.
But perhaps the lack of detail in the background was a trade off for speed?

OCS/ECS really isn't so great when it comes to backgrounds. Using hardware dual playfield means you only get 7 colours on the foreground, which is seriously restrictive. Some good artists can make it work, but it requires compromises to be made.

I presume the background is made entirely out of sprites and copper effects.

Joe Maroni 17 November 2015 02:31

Get sprites from here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80352

And HOL entry was already created....

Blaze

edd_jedi 17 November 2015 10:15

Can't get it to run on my A4000 via Workbench or booting from floppy. Is it easy to make a WHDLoad install for it?

Amiga1992 17 November 2015 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by edd_jedi (Post 1051318)
Can't get it to run on my A4000 via Workbench or booting from floppy. Is it easy to make a WHDLoad install for it?

I guess you are facing the same problems I am. Gets stuck on floppy load after black screen? Corrupted graphics when ran from Workbench?
Anybody did manage to run this on a real AGA machine? Does it really run on 1.3 machines? And what's with the custom bootblock, is it a virus or what?

quahappy 17 November 2015 17:59

Wow. This is extremely impressive! Played it that much I almost forgot that this was on WinUAE and not the MegaDrive lol.

I'm not technically minded but am in total agreement with Joe that it would be wonderful if someone (or more) took this on board and finished it. ;)

mc68060 17 November 2015 18:03

Could this be used to port Sonic 2 to the A500? AFAIR Sonic 2 has been disassembled and commented and all the data files are available. If they could be converted to the BLAZE level format, it could really work out.

Neil79 17 November 2015 18:15

:bowdown

PortuguesePilot 17 November 2015 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1051357)
(...) Does it really run on 1.3 machines?(...)

Yes, it does. I've tested it on my Amiga 500 with the original 1.3 256k ROM and a 512kb RAM expansion. It loads perfectly just like in WinUAE.

I don't own any AGA machine (sadly), so I cannot test Blaze with the AGA chipset or KS 3.x. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc68060 (Post 1051365)
Could this be used to port Sonic 2 to the A500? AFAIR Sonic 2 has been disassembled and commented and all the data files are available. If they could be converted to the BLAZE level format, it could really work out.

Though not a bad idea, I think that Blaze is a nice game in itself and deserves to be finished as it was once idealized. In some aspects, I consider Blazer to be better than the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

The ideal scenario would be for someone to finish Blaze up and someone else use its engine and port Sonic over the Amiga (with a "delay" of only two decades and a half :P).

edd_jedi 17 November 2015 20:35

I'm not too interested in a Sonic 2 port, this is exciting because it's a new game.