English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OS4.1FE SDK in WinUAE - Installer fails (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83792)

elowan 15 August 2016 23:52

OS4.1FE SDK in WinUAE - Installer fails

hi there,

I try to see, if there is a way to install the 4.1FE SDK in WinUAE - but at around 13/29, when installing the Perl Contributions, it stops/hangs/crashes.

My best try was 89% of Perl (13/29), most of the time, it hangs at around 9%... so no luck with that SDK in emulation?

Any clues?

Oh... I try to install into "Work", which is a "Folder-Harddrive", run WinUAE 3.3 as admin on a Win10 PC system.

Cheers!

elowan 16 August 2016 10:25

Does anyone succesfully installed 4.1SDK, when running 4.1FE in emulator?

Toni Wilen 16 August 2016 11:04

First test is to confirm if it only happens with directory harddrives.

elowan 16 August 2016 11:51

Yes, I would love to try this! but I am not able to create a hdf file. even if I run WinUAE in administrator mode, I get strange "drives", like access denied [ST-01108439209-wdnih3d2e910i48r30 500GB] and buttons to create a hdf are greyed out.

Maybe if I can get a premade, empty and dynamic 2GB hdf file somewhere, I can try

Toni Wilen 16 August 2016 12:02

Sounds like you are trying to add physical harddrive, not hardfile.

elowan 16 August 2016 13:05

hmmm, will check this... the HDF must be SCSI 1, right? RDB enabled?

Toni Wilen 16 August 2016 14:44

RDB: Yes. SCSI ID: just like you would do it with real hardware: any ID that is not in use by other drives and controller itself.

elowan 16 August 2016 14:59

Ok, I just got SCSI 0: for the OS4.1FE hdf-flie assigned. I dont know, how many devices one SCSI controller can operate, to be honest. could be from 1 to 10, depends on the number of physical interfaces, to plug devices in, I believe.

But maybe, I am wrong ;)

So ID "0" is in use right now - then I´ll use ID "1" for the 2nd hardfile

Oh - and I need to format the harddisk in Amiga OS4.1 to use it, right? If I remember correct, you will not see new HDF´s mounted on WB, until they
are formatted (maybe I am wrong here, too) ,hehehe

Toni Wilen 16 August 2016 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by elowan (Post 1106426)
Ok, I just got SCSI 0: for the OS4.1FE hdf-flie assigned. I dont know, how many devices one SCSI controller can operate, to be honest. could be from 1 to 10, depends on the number of physical interfaces, to plug devices in, I believe.

But maybe, I am wrong ;)

So ID "0" is in use right now - then I´ll use ID "1" for the 2nd hardfile

1 works fine in this case.

Quote:

Oh - and I need to format the harddisk in Amiga OS4.1 to use it, right? If I remember correct, you will not see new HDF´s mounted on WB, until they
are formatted (maybe I am wrong here, too) ,hehehe
You need to partition it first. Don't ask me how, I don't do AmigaOS 4 support :) (media toolbox or something)

elowan 16 August 2016 19:00

Good, I went to the CD/Harddisk section, went "Add hardfile", set "RDB Mode" + dynamic size + 2000 MB and "create". I typed "Work.hdf" but got "Work.vhd" instead...

I went on, by mounting OS4.1 plus Install CD and opend the "Media Toolbox" from the installer. Cyberstorm.scsi got a new disk "DH1:" and I mada a partition, saved the changes to the disk, reboot - still no hdf (but a slightly bigger vhd file), no new harddisk on the amiga WB (but mounting options are selected in WinUae)

guess, I am too stooooopid to get another hdf file up and running...

edit: hmmm, I got it working now... seems a bit strange - so I will try to setup another disk and try to find the error ;)

elowan 16 August 2016 19:58

Ok, the fault was, if the 2nd harddsik file was configurated as "SCSI 1" - that leads to:

1. You can see DH1: in Media Tool and create a partition
2. You can create a filesystem
3. you can save the changes to the disk and reboot
4. the changes (partition and filesystem) are gone!

To fix this, I simply selected "cyberstorm Accelerator" instead of SCSI for other devices, than DH0:
Now, I can partition, create filesystem and the changes are stored. After reboot, I get a harddisk icon on Amiga WB, saying "unformatted". After quick formating, the device can be used *yeah*

Now back to my original testing: Installing 4.1FE SDK to my new "Work" harddisk(file) and see, if it completes the install...

will report back

elowan 16 August 2016 20:09

boom : OS4.1 SDK and Codebench are installed

So I think, there was a problem with the "Folder-Harddisk" methode, maybe some files have names, that were not working with the hosts conventions or something like that!

Cheers!

Toni Wilen 16 August 2016 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by elowan (Post 1106467)
boom : OS4.1 SDK and Codebench are installed

I assumed so.

Quote:

So I think, there was a problem with the "Folder-Harddisk" methode, maybe some files have names, that were not working with the hosts conventions or something like that!
That is not possible.

It is a bug but this is far too big test case. Someone needs to narrow this down to some single command or something.

elowan 18 August 2016 08:52

the issue was kind of random, sometimes is came up after 9%, somtimes after 89% of the perl install... sorry, I dont be helpful

Toni Wilen 18 August 2016 19:17

Log probably would have shown at least some hints.

elowan 19 August 2016 08:58

uhm, you mean the WinUAE dump file?

elowan 19 August 2016 10:16

if you want to investigate, I can make another "folder-harddisk" and try to install SDK to that and get you a log (winUAE-dump)

Toni Wilen 19 August 2016 10:18

I meant log before the crash, there may be some warnings or other messages.

Dump file most likely is not very useful (I expect crash to be inside PPC emulator), but attach it anyway (if it isn't too huge).