English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD Install (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84571)

JZon 23 October 2016 22:15

A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD Install

1 Attachment(s)
Hello. My name is Brother Jzon (HP2000/Win8.0/WinUAE3.3)

So I've pre built my hard drive directories:

A4000 WB3.9 68030default HD
A4000 WB3.9 68040 HD
A4000 WB3.9 68040 PPC HD
A4000 WB3.9 68060 HD
A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD

(Did a clean install of WinUAE too.)

The 68030, I grabbed from the quick start setup. It came in around a whopping 335 mhz!

The 68040 read was lower. and 68060 lower than that. (default settings with my normal after tweaks) (the tweaks from previous post produce faster mhz, just not up to that yet) (because..)

I wanted to try the 68060 version with ppc. I have the HSMath_060 libs and BlizKick. The HSMath library install asked for different combinations with and without patch and also wanted to see, among others, BlizKick. When I unarchive BlizKick, the readme has an install, click here option.

I'm not sure if I've installed either the Math Libraries or BlizKick properly.

I've also downloaded UpdatePPC and CyberTools (which has Cyber Patcher)

I want to install BlitzKick first, so HSMath Library install sees this. But, I don't know if I should set the patch on the HSMath Library install. Should I let Cyber Patcher do it? (Just install the libraries?) Then, I want to update with PPCUpdate. (Or should I?)

Can I select something easier than BlizKick?

Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

Attachment 50589

idrougge 24 October 2016 00:05

You know that megahertz isn't a speed measurement, don't you?

JZon 24 October 2016 04:12

Oh..

1 Attachment(s)
No.

I haven't looked it up lately. It seems though, like when I get a higher number, it seems like the emulation is running zippier. (Not sure)

The goal is a higher number. Sorry if I phrased it wrong. Isn't it like mega hertz like a hertz wave? I have a strong imagination, I just fill in the blanks of possibilities I conjure. Isn't it like the higher number of waves in a discrete amount of time, means more information? So in reality, you're increasing the speed with which information is moved?

(I took digital electronics in vocational school. I was supposed to have failed. LOL But, the instructor liked me so much, he gave me a C.)

I've tried a bunch of combinations on the math libraries. Then I read the instructions. lol The instructions way didn't work, but I didn't know what I was doing. There was one combo where it would reboot successfully. (I think it was just the libraries, no patches, and other on which program opens them)

Are we still good on that DP4 disk? I could fabricate a selfaddressed, prestamped mailing box inside a box with the disk and a disc. I haven't followed up on Amiga users in my area yet. (I got stuck on this ppc thing. LOL) (I kept seeing references to Cyber this and Cyber that in the Aladdin manual and then I'm like a kid in a candy factory picking out all this stuff I never could quite get to back then. Great fun. Great fun.)

That 335 mhz spec on the stock 68030 was impressive. I'm running low to upper mid 40's with the 68060. I think I had done something right, (I keep deleting the directory in Windows and reinstalling 3.9 and starting from scratch) because I'm pretty sure I saw like a 10 to 20 mhz increase at one point. (It's funny I saw stuff I forgot already, good stuff. Also, noticed when I start adjusting prefs, wb pattern, palette, screenmode.. the mhz would correspondingly decrease.)

The recommendations, (Mark_k) mentioned on the 68040, applied to the 68030 will probably even increase it more. (Haven't tried yet)

Here is the reading for a default setup copied straight from quickstart..

Attachment 50591

Oh, I remember, the new good stuff, I saw the mmu working, good mhz, fpu engaged.. (I'm going too fast. forgetting to document. thinking I might can remember on the fly with this stuff fresh on the brain)

Thank you, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Is there a choice set of settings with BlizKick? I think I managed to install libraries and modules, once.

Will report latest findings.. Standby.. .. ..

JZon 24 October 2016 05:48

Success!

OK. Had to install the PPC option with after the main 3.9 install. (forgot I saw this 7 other times! LOL)

Then, I install the Math Libraries only (no patching) to other (since BlizKick is on standby), then I changed the PPCUpdate Rom Thomas had me create to the ROM from the Zone and success. Now I can put the settings for Cyberstorm PPC on the expansion page of WinUAE. (without the insert disk anim on boot)

Thank you.

Still looking at 41 mhz.

Ran into a new problem after the install. I went to unarchive and got a new error

Cannot open "resource.library", version 44. Unable to run "sys:Tools/Unarc".

Is there any rectifying this? (I see resource.library in libs)

JZon 24 October 2016 07:15

Workaround

Until the resource.library becomes readable, I found a work around. Just unarchive the files with the working A4000 WB3.9 68040 HD emu and go back and copy the unarchived files to the A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD directory in Windows. Simple.

Also noticed in above screenshot that Floating Point Unit: not available.
It shows it's engaged in the WinUAE settings. Any guess there?

Finally came to a repeatable "nag" for lack of a better term, which could indeed be a "bug", in which case maybe, idk, a moderator or concerned party might want to relay back to um.. the makers of WinUAE.

Whenever I bunny skip around configs, like when I double click the A4000 WB3.9 68040 HD config, and then I restart, and then I double click A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD config, I get the insert disk anim on boot for the A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD config. So, (and another workaround) I quit WinUAE, then reopen WinUAE, and double click fresh on A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD config and boom, it boots up no prob.

Somehow, I had 68060 engaged (no ppc at that point) with FPU and MMU on?? & good mhz. (may have been an aros rom or something or might not..)

(I wonder if these different configs will produce different advantages/disadvantages on Aladdin 4D renders?)

Standby for 68030/40/60ppc report.. .. .. (This may take a while)

Toni Wilen 24 October 2016 08:47

Ignore speed test results in fastest possible mode unless difference is very big (as in >20% or so) and also run the test at least 3 times.

Actually, ignore all test results if you see difference after changing the CPU. Emulated 68020+ all have same speed. (except if MMU is emulated, then 68030 is much slower than 68040+)

You are missing 68040.library/68060.library if you get no FPU error in 68040+ modes.

JZon 24 October 2016 22:45

Right on

Thank you. Thank you.

Good to know. Good to know.

I did not know that. Yes, this means I have more work to do. (I was about to do that anyway) (or attempt) (LOL)

Results still pending.. .. ..

JZon 25 October 2016 06:04

New question

Just made a clean install of A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HD.

It's looking for qemu-uae.dll. I've downloaded it from Win-Uae, but I'm not seeing a readme. There is also a qemu-uae x64.dll. I just clicked on it and rebooted. Same error. Then I try run as admin, but it's not in context menu. (just open with) I looked online, ended up putting it in it's own folder c, programfilesx86, Winuae, plugins, qemu.

Also saw a suggestion to ignore it. I think I had one boot where it didn't prompt.

What is the proper way to handle this?

zipper 25 October 2016 11:40

http://www.pjhutchison.org/uae_install.html
Plugins folder in the Winuae install.

JZon 26 October 2016 00:24

Ja das ist gut!

Great page! Thank you.

Working now.

(I had it there, but in a subdirectory 'qemu') (Would've eventually tried this, but probably wouldn't have thought about it for days.) (Thank you, that speeds things up.)

10 Miles Above The Earth (1931)

JZon 27 October 2016 08:36

BlizKick!

Evening.

Getting late. Barely able to type..

I've got a new hard file I'm working from..

A4000 WB3.9 68060 PPC HDF

It was created with 976 mb's. Managed to install WB3.9, fpu & mmu running, low 30's mhz. I'm about to install HSMathLibs_060. But, I know it's going to want to see BlizKick. I'm trying to get it working on it's simplest config.

Not sure, I think I've chosen the correct file for editing the start up sequence, "StartUp-Sequence-BB3.9-1". The line I've entered is, "C:BlizKick DEVS:rom3.1 QUIET". Here is a picture of where I've entered it..

Attachment 50625

Then it wanted to see a kickstart rom, so I used the lazy man 'click here' and it put this rom, rom_v45.57, in devs. I'm not sure, is BlizKick looking for this in the Extended ROM file:? I put rom v45.57 there and clicked MapROM emulation.

Not sure if I've got my rom set up or startup set up. I also did lazy man's applypatch and stopped there. Emulation is a little choppy as far as mouse response and boot. Not sure what kind of usage I need. Some items of interest are the CopyIDEfixPrefs and KingCon-handler.pch (don't even know what those are), protectextresbuf looks good (idk what that is either), localfast/s quickboot/s speedrom/s all look good, and only other thing I saw was quiet/s (thought maybe just this would allow BlizKick to engage)

Is there a recommended BlizKick config with my setup?
Isn't it all about setting up the proper command line in the start up sequence?

Attachment 50626

JZon 27 October 2016 08:39

Reattaching attachments..

2 Attachment(s)
Above attachments didn't work (took to long and got logged off)

Here they are again..

Attachment 50627

Attachment 50628

JZon 27 October 2016 08:46

Another View

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Which Amiga reading..

Attachment 50629

JZon 28 October 2016 20:40

A New Hope

2 Attachment(s)
Did some more reading and searching. Found I don't want to MapROM emulation, so I untick that. (Is that because it's being handled on the Amiga side of things?)

I tried changing the start up sequence to:

Attachment 50660

Pretty sure I have the right file and folder:

Attachment 50661

I tried this rom since it made it, but BlizKick doesn't seem to be kicking in. There was a Shell command in the docs, but not sure if it was in reference to 1.3 os.

emufan 28 October 2016 21:54

the maprom feature was about to copy the kickstart rom content to fast ram, to make things faster, but this gives no advantage if you are using winuae.
i'm not 100% sure about the above, but close to be sure :)

i'm a bit late following your thread, wont do additional confusion.
but about the blitzkick issue - did you tested the rom_v45.57 as a rom for winuae?
instead choosing kickstart 3.1 rom, you choose this "rom_v45.57".
so you can skip the blitzkick tool and boot straight into the system using rom_v45.57.

#1) here is a guide for installing WB 3.9 - maybe you can get some help from it aswell.

#1) here is a little guide to add PPC support to workbench 3.9.
it is just about the WarpUP in this case.
Quote:

Try downloading and installing from here
Download.haage-partner.de/Amiga/WarpUP/
Install warp4...then warp4update..then warp51
This worked for me

JZon 29 October 2016 15:31

Esp!

Do you have esp? I was just about to make a new statement to this post regarding rom/ram! Incredible!

Thank you for the links. (Had been looking for these things last few days) It's interesting, I've constantly re installed things in the correct order up to what I have now. Question is, can I do it again from brain matter memory. (BMM) (LOL)

Yes, my question was going to be..

Isn't BlizKick supposed to turn the boot rom into flash ram? Doesn't flash ram operate faster? (I didn't know this was possible, even built in to WinUAE with MapROM emulation.) (But, like you say it's inconsequential unless you're on a real Amiga, why would it be here in WinUAE? Maybe there is a config or set up where it's looking for this to be ticked?) (Near answering that myself, just need a little more quality time to investigate)

Another feature of interest I see is the ability to go in and add or change to the existing rom's as they don't always take up the full 512 kb's. (Thought that was cool)

I want to create a startup sequence that incorporates quick boot, faster memory, idefix (not sure what it fixes), & others. (It's almost like an SAT question towards the end of the test, lol, trying to use the examples to formulate your own requirements) (I still have to go back at the end and add a proper install doc for this post and Aladdin 4D install too) (I guess the BlizKick portion should be included here)

Also finding gigamem to be another item of great interest. (Is this making ram files to disk? That's about the coolest thing I've heard in decades)

Also went to X1000 land and was checking out the expandability. But, I couldn't find a concrete mhz spec, nor formulate a calculation for discerning mhz per extra expansion. (I'm assuming it finally level's out to or near a certain figure and then the quantity of information begins to grow from there)

Do we know any one who has tested an actual X1000 with purported 1.8 ghz vs a WinUAE set up on like a 32 gb ram quad computer?

Can Aos4.x run, emulated with WinUAE, at or better than the X1000? What if the X1000 gets all these expansions?

I'd like to see some benchmark figures in a comparison chart. (I have a feeling the X1000, expanded, may be force to recon with)

I was going to ask what's the highest os and hardware emu set up for WinUAE, but I want to check out the above links you's suggested first.

OK, Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

PS Thanks again for following up with me. We were discussing these things in the Aladdin Install post, I remember. I've been looking at the history of mmu, how it's the precursor to modern virtual memory, and realizing what a powerful tool this is to make a completely failsafe os set up. Maybe the days of having to start from scratch all the time are closing! LOL

emufan 29 October 2016 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1119417)
Do you have esp? I was just about to make a new statement to this post regarding rom/ram! Incredible!

Thank you for the links. (Had been looking for these things last few days) It's interesting, I've constantly re installed things in the correct order up to what I have now. Question is, can I do it again from brain matter memory. (BMM) (LOL)

esp? BMM ? sorry, dunno exatly what you mean, but my little hints are not in vain, so i think it's ok posting them :)

i use google , searching with:
site:eab.abime.net SEARCH TERM
this gives good results from eab forum, which has a lot of these tutorials, but hard to find sometimes.
Quote:

Yes, my question was going to be..

Isn't BlizKick supposed to turn the boot rom into flash ram? Doesn't flash ram operate faster? (I didn't know this was possible, even built in to WinUAE with MapROM emulation.) (But, like you say it's inconsequential unless you're on a real Amiga, why would it be here in WinUAE? Maybe there is a config or set up where it's looking for this to be ticked?) (Near answering that myself, just need a little more quality time to investigate)
on real hardware ROMS are stored in a slow rom-memory, using this map rom feature, it transfers the rom into the fast-ram, which is hardwarewise faster (accesstime 150 ns vs 80ns or lower).

i think it was build into winuea to make the emulation more real in any aspect,
but does not give the speed plus which you see on real hardware.

Quote:

Another feature of interest I see is the ability to go in and add or change to the existing rom's as they don't always take up the full 512 kb's. (Thought that was cool)
adding content of ROMs can be done with Doobrey's Remus/Romsplit.
here is an example to make a 1mb rom.
i did it once some time ago, and got mixed results, lengthy process,
but it can make things easier, once one succeeds

Quote:

I want to create a startup sequence that incorporates quick boot, faster memory, idefix (not sure what it fixes), & others. (It's almost like an SAT question towards the end of the test, lol, trying to use the examples to formulate your own requirements) (I still have to go back at the end and add a proper install doc for this post and Aladdin 4D install too) (I guess the BlizKick portion should be included here)
once you have done the setup for your 3.9 system, i would create a backup of the working one, and add additional things step by step.
for example idefix was some kind of addon to speedup/fix(?!) some problems with the internal build in ide controller. (again not sure here).

a summary after your endeavour would be much appreciated, sure :)

Quote:

Also finding gigamem to be another item of great interest. (Is this making ram files to disk? That's about the coolest thing I've heard in decades)
yeah, this increases ram size. 25+ yrs ago, i was using it, since i only had 8MB fast ram expansion, gining me some more MBs to run Lightwave.
it was working somehow, but since it uses the slow HDD for extra ram, it wasn't so fasat at all. but it was working somehow.
in winuea just increase ram size and skip gigamem :)

Quote:

Also went to X1000 land and was checking out the expandability. But, I couldn't find a concrete mhz spec, nor formulate a calculation for discerning mhz per extra expansion. (I'm assuming it finally level's out to or near a certain figure and then the quantity of information begins to grow from there)

Do we know any one who has tested an actual X1000 with purported 1.8 ghz vs a WinUAE set up on like a 32 gb ram quad computer?

Can Aos4.x run, emulated with WinUAE, at or better than the X1000? What if the X1000 gets all these expansions?

I'd like to see some benchmark figures in a comparison chart. (I have a feeling the X1000, expanded, may be force to recon with)
i'm not so much into this x1000 machines. asa soon as i win the lottery, i'll take a closer look :)

there is Amiga OS 4.1 for classic architecture, those a4000/a1200 with ppc expansion cards.
Installing AmigaOS 4.1 with FS-UAE
AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition A1200 / Blizzard PPC Installation Step-by-Step Guide

i think emulation of the x1000 architecture is not necessary.
winuea can emulate the ppc architecture which you need, so going more into every x1000 hardware detail wont happen, and is of no use.

Quote:

I was going to ask what's the highest os and hardware emu set up for WinUAE, but I want to check out the above links you's suggested first.
hmm, the most modern os you can use is 4.1 for classic, this is well supported by winuae. how fast you'll see it, depends on your host computer running winuae on.
Quote:

OK, Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

PS Thanks again for following up with me. We were discussing these things in the Aladdin Install post, I remember. I've been looking at the history of mmu, how it's the precursor to modern virtual memory, and realizing what a powerful tool this is to make a completely failsafe os set up. Maybe the days of having to start from scratch all the time are closing! LOL
np. these features of the mmu was not taken in the old amiga OS upto 3.9.
the more modern 4.x series makes a better use of the mmu AFAIK.

the advantage of using winuae is the way you can make backups and revert, once you run into a big mess. so it's somehow convenient to have a play with it once in a while :)

JZon 30 October 2016 11:21

Great things!

2 Attachment(s)
So much to address! LOL

I thought I was being so smart about Amiga and stuff.. (lot's more to it!)
Attachment 50681

Then I think well, 1 mhz isn't too bad, since I have this huge battleship up and running. Then I download check mmu and..
Attachment 50682

LOL. Thought it was kind of funny.

(I'm just waking up, was up all night trying to prepare a thorough response. My brain has reset. Just remember this)

Standby for actual response with lots of goodies..

JZon 30 October 2016 23:23

Just remember this?

Dang. Must have been early. I don't even remember typing that! LOL (edit: just realized, wasn't saying, "Just remember this!" LOL Actually I was mistyping, "just remembered this" 10-4)

Sorry.

I have a new easy question. (or so I thought) (I look online, not seeing what I'm looking for other than disk image and bin2iso_ppc) (just don't know how to edit the script to incorporate the conversion and the mounting of an image isn't computing in my mind or the docs are beyond me)

How do I open rom.bin files? I have a bunch of .bin's in the rom accelerators I've downloaded.

Not that I'm trying to open them, I'm more just trying to get rid of the .bin extension so they are ready to go if I call on them.

Am I simply supposed to just change the extension? (from .bin to .rom?)

PS Wish me luck, I'm about to contact Thor. (maybe if I'm guided in the right direction, I can learn some assembly language and help out)

JZon 31 October 2016 01:41

WonderTwinPowersActivate:FormofanAmiga5000T!

I would say @ Thor, but I think it's best to address more like, "If it would be possible, maybe it's OK if I ask a question, Is Mr Thor available and if so, may I converse with him briefly?"

Dang! LOL I didn't realize, you already helped build my first PPC update! Thank you. Thank you.

I was wondering, I saw you could use help in assembly, & I saw some literature to follow up on, (just don't remember where, but will find again, eventually) what you'd recommend as a starting point for some one who knows little about assembly?

(I'm still in the birthing stages like a little chicken hatching out of an egg. But it seems like a Freescale surplus could lead to a '5000t' hybrid of sorts)

Ever thought of assembling a dream team of enthusiasts with last AAA, or maybe 5000t hybrid, on the workbench? (just for prototyping?) (not mass production. LOL) (unless maybe this is something you'd be thinking of)