English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Picasso page inaccessible! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84782)

JZon 12 November 2016 15:09

Picasso page inaccessible!

Hello. My name is Brother JZon.

I'm doing some follow up reading on Picasso96 and I reach a website... or I can't reach a website. (Also noticing gmail to Germany not working)(not all just the one I tried) (Thomas's)

http://ftp.tu-dresden.de/~deck/pic96/index.html

Can anyone else reach this?

How does one know if it's no longer available?

Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

emufan 12 November 2016 15:37

Picasso96 2.0 is on Aminet. i think this was the latest.
an unofficial update you can find here.
but you should be fine with the one from aminet.
keep both archives. maybe they will disappear sooner or later. :)

the website you listed, might be an old hosting website, later they put their driver onto aminet.

#1) an Installation guide by TheGreenAmigaAlien

JZon 12 November 2016 16:29

Roger that!

2 Attachment(s)
Solved!

Thank you. Thank you.

Yes, I'm using this from Aminet already. Yes, I saw the update site. In fact, that was my next question. (esp? extra sensory perception?) I was thinking about trying it. Good to know. Good to know.

Wow! TheGreenAmigaAlien! Invaluable resource. Thank you. Thank you.

Found Tom's homepage, working.

I have installing down, or so I thought. I still have to go back in and try different combinations. But after installing, Aladdin works, but now my DPaint's (IV and V) are no longer working. (Something about dpaint fonts error on IV, and V gives an actual crash with a dump file..)

Attachment 50811

What's better CyberGraphX 64/3D or Picasso 96?

(I made that instructional video, already wanting to change it, probably will, which actually doe show the install, in between musical segments, little did I know at the time, you're only supposed for be running one or the other... Or are you?)

Also, I thought MuLib was supposed to be installed after, I found installing prior works, for me..

I saw a write up on Amiga4 emu, was not as fast as the actual Amiga. Are there any PPC configs for WinUAE that outperform my config?

Attachment 50812

Today, I'm only running MuLib and Picasso96. (I was thinking I disabled passthrough, maybe DPaint's are looking for original Amiga 'things')

OK. Thank you very much! Brother JZon

emufan 12 November 2016 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122119)
Solved!

Thank you. Thank you.

Yes, I'm using this from Aminet already. Yes, I saw the update site. In fact, that was my next question. (esp? extra sensory perception?) I was thinking about trying it. Good to know. Good to know.

Wow! TheGreenAmigaAlien! Invaluable resource. Thank you. Thank you.

yeah, indeed, unfortunatly he is no longer with us R.I.P

Quote:

Found Tom's homepage, working.

I have installing down, or so I thought. I still have to go back in and try different combinations. But after installing, Aladdin works, but now my DPaint's (IV and V) are no longer working. (Something about dpaint fonts error on IV, and V gives an actual crash with a dump file..)

Attachment 50811

What's better CyberGraphX 64/3D or Picasso 96?
i think DPAint works best in standard amiga modes, both version have problems with RTG/Picasso/ screenmodes.

for the missing fonts try snoopdos, if it is just a font file, copy the fonts in question from your install disk of dpaint to your sys:fonts folder

i'm not sure, which RTG system is the better one, i'm only using picasso. so i cannot say for sure.

maybe Toni Wilen will have a look into the dmp file, he is the only one, who can debug them :)
Quote:

(I made that instructional video, already wanting to change it, probably will, which actually doe show the install, in between musical segments, little did I know at the time, you're only supposed for be running one or the other... Or are you?)
never made a instruction video myself. that upto the artist, what you will have at the end :)
Quote:

Also, I thought MuLib was supposed to be installed after, I found installing prior works, for me..
this MuLibs you may use as a replacement for the 680xx libs. I did that once, but i didnt do any messurments, and from the look and feel, it wasnt much faster/or more compatible than those standard 680x0 libs.
but you should give it a try.
Quote:

I saw a write up on Amiga4 emu, was not as fast as the actual Amiga. Are there any PPC configs for WinUAE that outperform my config?

Attachment 50812
i'm still running 3.x systems or below, still not in the mood to test 4.x. so i cannot give any advice :)
Quote:

Today, I'm only running MuLib and Picasso96. (I was thinking I disabled passthrough, maybe DPaint's are looking for original Amiga 'things')

OK. Thank you very much! Brother JZon
yep, Dp works best in thoose native amiga modes, while V ( maybe 4 too ?!) does support RTG screen modes. I remember a while ago, someone said RTG is not the best screen mode for DPAint. PersonalPaint (PPaint.lha) is better in this regard.

JZon 12 November 2016 17:33

Condolences

Didn't know that. Sorry to hear about that.

I was exploring Aladdin and found under the project menu/tools: DPaint. But when engaging it says:

Cannot find tool

I was thinking maybe, if this is DPaint IV or V, this has something to do with this.

The Picasso install is working good otherwise. Set it to 1024 x 600, fits screen perfect.

It's funny, these posts encompass many topics. Now it should be titled, "How to make DPaint rtg friendly" LOL

OK. trying updated Picasso... Standby.. .. ..

JZon 12 November 2016 17:49

Line 5367 error

1 Attachment(s)
The first Picasso96 install went relatively smooth. When it came to the Works folder, it had a problem. No problem, I just create a Work drawer in System and tell it to go here.

The second Picasso96Update install is not liking this. (May have to reninstall from scratch and choose install for the first time)

Attachment 50816

K. Thank you very much! Brother Jzon, Going back in.. .. ..

zipper 12 November 2016 17:52

The official Picasso support is now on http://www.sophisticated-development...ware/index.php (Tobias Seiler, worked at VillageTronic)

emufan 12 November 2016 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122131)
Didn't know that. Sorry to hear about that.

I was exploring Aladdin and found under the project menu/tools: DPaint. But when engaging it says:

Cannot find tool

I was thinking maybe, if this is DPaint IV or V, this has something to do with this.

The Picasso install is working good otherwise. Set it to 1024 x 600, fits screen perfect.

It's funny, these posts encompass many topics. Now it should be titled, "How to make DPaint rtg friendly" LOL

OK. trying updated Picasso... Standby.. .. ..

ahh, ok. the menu entry is just a short-cut, incase you have DPaint installed.
cannot remember at the moment, there might be listed some more tools in that menu.
just in case you didnt found dpaint yet here is a link :)

good you have managed the picasse96 install :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122132)
The second Picasso96Update install is not liking this. (May have to reninstall from scratch and choose install for the first time)

hmmm, not sure. i'm not so good in interpreting the installer script-language ( installer file in question InstallPicasso96) :)
you can try another installer mode for the update - try novice, expert , default, maybe one does work.

or ( i guess this wont work):
# lets say you have installed the 1st package to: SYS:Picasso96
# open a shell and try this: assign Picasso96: sys:Picasso96
# then try the update installer.

@thnx zipper.

JZon 12 November 2016 18:33

Thank you. Thank you.

1 Attachment(s)
The new site! Checking out now..

The 3rd attempt took! I had already saved the A4000 directory with only MuLib installed. So I deleted my current directory and pasted the old one back in. (I can see why working with directories is so much easier than hdf's)

I copied the Picasso96Update in there and installed it new. It liked it this time. Or at least it took the substitute "Work" folder I created in the System drawer. (By the way, is SYS different than system? Is SYS where actual install files go? Is this in RAM?)

Still not liking DPaint's though. I took a snapshot of the SnoopDos error..

Attachment 50817

It's looking or dpaint.font and dpaint.otag. I looked online. Couldn't find much.

JZon 12 November 2016 18:59

P II update!

Special thank you to Zipper!

Found the new update. It took. No problems.

Still having same issue with DPaints.

Oh, and special thank you to EmuFan. That download page is great. (And good timing with the snow and all)

IDK if maybe Toni is out there or listening, maybe there is a way to tell uaegfx to go to stock Amiga parameters when engaging DPaints?

I could have a custom build just for DPaints. But then I couldn't use Aladdn 4D with 68060 and Picasso96 in full 1024 x 600 resolution and expect to open DPaint on the side. (I wonder if I could simply have two instances of WinUAE open, and tell Aladdin 4D to seek DPaint here? Probably have to contact Nova Designs. Rewriting software might be a tall order. Unless (a) simple shell command(s) could be executed.)

K. Going back in to isolate stock Amiga entries in Picasso96Update install.. ..

emufan 12 November 2016 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122144)
The new site! Checking out now..

The 3rd attempt took! I had already saved the A4000 directory with only MuLib installed. So I deleted my current directory and pasted the old one back in. (I can see why working with directories is so much easier than hdf's)

I copied the Picasso96Update in there and installed it new. It liked it this time. Or at least it took the substitute "Work" folder I created in the System drawer. (By the way, is SYS different than system? Is SYS where actual install files go? Is this in RAM?)

Still not liking DPaint's though. I took a snapshot of the SnoopDos error..

Attachment 50817

It's looking or dpaint.font and dpaint.otag. I looked online. Couldn't find much.

backups help a lot too :D
SYS: is a definition for your startup device, your boot device, it's somewhere defined in the kickstart. so SYS:c refers allways to your c directory of your boot device/partition.
system is just a folder on the boot partition/device.

dunno what made picasso update working now, but as long as it finished w/o error, all is ok :)

dpaint.font -> look on the dpaint floppy disk, there should be a font drawer, copy the content of this drawer into your sys:fonts/ folder.
thats should do the trick.

btw. do you have a filemanager, or copying on cli/shell? if the latter applies , you can try Diskmaster.

ah, and the filelist of dpaint, it's on the eab ftp. look here, there is also a search.

dpaint/uaegfx. once dpaint starts you can choose a screenmode, this way, it is upto you, which mode you want to use.
---> save early , save offten - u never know when the next guru joins :)

dpaint & alladin should work with the same configuration. maybe it is about the winuae beta version, you can still test the latest stable version 3.3.0.
i have always the latest stable and the current beta version in my winuae folder. so i can switch, if something went bad, with one version.

but do not run both at the same time. winuae sets file-locks on hdf/folders once it's runing.

JZon 12 November 2016 20:38

Interesting new development

I looked there. I didn't see the font drawer. (Maybe I make sure I check view all files) (I looked in all the drawers)

The interesting update.. I went back to prePicasso install (MuLib only) and DPaint IV is having the same problem. DPaint V is running no problem. (Aladdin too)

So, maybe I need to check stock Amiga settings here (MuLib) too. (It seems like both DPaints were running with MuLib before. I need to start documenting each config.)

DiskMaster! I have DiskImage. Didn't know about that. (Checking out now)

Yes, one instance of WinUAE, correct.

WinUAE beta version?? Wow, I'll check that out too. (Maybe it helps to try this and report bugs if any)

Yes. Save often. This advice has passed through the era's safely. Yes, backups and save often. Check.

Will have to spend some quality time figuring out how to navigate grandis.

Thank you. Great follow up leads. Also, it looks as though the PII update allows CyberGraphX and Picasso to run side by side. (Cool news. Will be following up on this too)

Speaking of SYS, do sysops use tweaks or mods to SYS files to boot custom os's? Are these SYS files ending up in RAM at startup?

emufan 12 November 2016 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122186)
I looked there. I didn't see the font drawer. (Maybe I make sure I check view all files) (I looked in all the drawers)

The interesting update.. I went back to prePicasso install (MuLib only) and DPaint IV is having the same problem. DPaint V is running no problem. (Aladdin too)

So, maybe I need to check stock Amiga settings here (MuLib) too. (It seems like both DPaints were running with MuLib before. I need to start documenting each config.)

DiskMaster! I have DiskImage. Didn't know about that. (Checking out now)

Yes, one instance of WinUAE, correct.

WinUAE beta version?? Wow, I'll check that out too. (Maybe it helps to try this and report bugs if any)

Yes. Save often. This advice has passed through the era's safely. Yes, backups and save often. Check.

Will have to spend some quality time figuring out how to navigate grandis.

Thank you. Great follow up leads. Also, it looks as though the PII update allows CyberGraphX and Picasso to run side by side. (Cool news. Will be following up on this too)

Speaking of SYS, do sysops use tweaks or mods to SYS files to boot custom os's? Are these SYS files ending up in RAM at startup?

I attached the dpaint font i have, just extract in your sys:fonts drawer.

DPaint IV may have issues with the 68040/060 cpu, this is possible. try it with a 020/ or 030 configuration.

Diskimage sounds like a adf/disk-image tool. , just start diskmaster and you see what it does, source right, target left, next you select a file, and push the operation in the middle row. if you have nothing like thta atm, then this is just fine :)

winuae betas: while Toni implements new features or fixes bug, he is posting beta version,
here for the upcomming 3.4.0 version.

toni wants feedback if something goes wrong with the last beta he is posting, something that was working before on a stable version.
but be prepared, he demands detailed problem description, with attached log-files of winuae beta,
posted in the thread, you were downloading the beta :)

for grandis use the search function and increase the number of searchresults listed. its the easiest way.
otherwise install a ftp client, like filezilla

in amigaland i wont call anyone a sysop -- oh, this was to harsh, we already had BBS systems, when there was no web :D
some add patches to replace libraries which sit in the rom ( not sure if i meet your point here).
for example, most usefull addon, is a remake of the icon.library
( has latest version with all tools, you need to install the new lib on your system).

A demo disk you can get in the support thread here on eab (IconDemoADF) - just boot the demo disk and enjoy the colorfull icons.

JZon 12 November 2016 21:44

You are too kind.

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you.

But, put that attachment back. I don't want you to waste your upload space.

It's OK. I had view all files selected. Just didn't notice the slider had more in the drawer. It was there. (fonts) I moved them to the fonts drawer of the A4000 build and it's back in service.

For clarification, is the A4000 directory (where I moved the fonts) considered the SYS directory?

Wow! Direct link to beta! Awesome. (That saves me a step) This is exciting.

Thanks for the FileZilla info. Never knew this. The possibilities are looking limitless.

I tried the install DPaintIV script. (And had success in the past) This time I don't know what I'm (not) doing. Maybe because the DPaint IV drawer already exists??

Attachment 50823

Not that it matters. It's working now. (I just thought the install would've made accomplished this.)

Still working on native Amiga options in Picasso... ... ...

emufan 12 November 2016 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZon (Post 1122197)
Thank you.

But, put that attachment back. I don't want you to waste your upload space.

It's OK. I had view all files selected. Just didn't notice the slider had more in the drawer. It was there. (fonts) I moved them to the fonts drawer of the A4000 build and it's back in service.

For clarification, is the A4000 directory (where I moved the fonts) considered the SYS directory?

Wow! Direct link to beta! Awesome. (That saves me a step) This is exciting.

Thanks for the FileZilla info. Never knew this. The possibilities are looking limitless.

I tried the install DPaintIV script. (And had success in the past) This time I don't know what I'm (not) doing. Maybe because the DPaint IV drawer already exists??

Attachment 50823

Not that it matters. It's working now. (I just thought the install would've made accomplished this.)

ok attachment removed, the slider issue is a bug of diskmaster, i get here to, otherwise it works ok, just have to push "clear" and the lists will be there again, as expected.

the lines in your config:
Code:

filesystem2=rw,DH0:A4000:C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE\A4000,0
uaehf0=dir,rw,DH0:A4000:C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE\A4000,0

DH0: is the device, and A4000 is the device-name ( someone may correct me)
but you can use both, like this:
DH0:
A4000:

in this case SYS: is equal to DH0: and A4000:
it is your only hdd/partition, which you boot from, so it is sys:

dpaint install:
in the path you have a space between DH0: and A4000
(btw. those ancient install scripts are a disgrace :D )
try DH0: or A4000:
sometimes it is adviced to have a path like this:
Code:

DH0:DPaintIV
(incase the installer will not create an extra subfolder)

you can just list FONTS: or SYS:FONTS or A4000:Fonts with diskmaster, look for the folder dpaint and the dpaint.font file.
dpaint folder holds 2 files ( 5 and 8, which are the fonts sizes)

Quote:

you dont have to, if you just choose in Prefs/Screenmode a uaegfx graphics mode, your workbench will run under picasso 96/RTG.
once you start DPaint you can choose a screen mode for dpaint, independent from what you have choosen for the workbench screen.
in DPaintV you may choose those UAE modes too, it will open a second RTG screen.
btw, those RTG screens you cannot pull down, this does only work with native amiga screenmodes.

JZon 12 November 2016 23:17

Nice!

1 Attachment(s)
Nice little lesson in Cli. Thanks. Not sure if I'm up to that. (Will get to it though)

OK. I tried going to my cleanest install (WB3.9bb2) and adding my art programs first, both working as expected, then installing Picasso96Update with P II Update, (DPaint IV works, DPaint V does not), then installing MuLib (which enables Aladdin 4D_040), and DPaint IV is working but DPaint 5 is not.

That's great!

So I can still access DPaint IV, which is what I'm really on anyway, and use Aladdin 4D side by side.

But, I noticed in my own instructional video, the version of setpatch I'm using, MuLib doesn't recognize. and it fails on that aspect of the install. (everything else working smooth)

Attachment 50826

I was thinking maybe if I installed Picasso96 first, it would've supplied a setpatch of it's own (MuLib would recognize). But this way I got the same error. If it's asking for setpatches from 3.5, shouldn't 3.9 have the 44.xx versions? (note to self: Maybe I try CyberGraphX and Picasso96 with new P II update first, then MuLib)

It was DH0:

(LOL)

Then it asks for the disk, no prob, I have it from here..

OK. Other than DPaintV not working in this config, which by the way, would be perfect on it's own config anyway, when I try Aladdin4D's project menu/tools/DPaint, it still shows can't find tool. I'm thinking there is a way to assign this within Aladdin4d, and I just haven't found it yet.

So all is good. I'll report back if I find out. Also will report back if anything new with WinUAE beta enables DPaintV when using Picasso96. I found the controls for the native Amiga items, still have to try different combos there.

OK. Thank you very much! Brother Jzon Standby.. .. ..

emufan 13 November 2016 00:10

good we make some progress :)

SetPatch-43-6b.lha (SetPatch 43.6b) - replace with your version.
maybe just rename your setpatch to setpatch_old and use the one from the link.
i have this version too , not sure if there is a more recent.

aladdin -> DPaint: i have the same issue, dpaint installed, but "cannot find ...",
cannot find a "configure path" or something in Aladdin.
==> it is a simple script Aladdin4dTools:RunDPaint
you have to edit with a texteditor and enter the path to dpaint.

in a shell: ed Aladdin4DTools:RunDPaint

hmmm. i changed the path to my dpaint, but it still does not start from inside aladdin, strange thing.
dunno what one has todo to make this work. since it isnt essential for Aladdin, it shouldnt be a big deal. :),

btw: setting for Winuae (F12)
-> Hosts -> Miscellanous -> Graphic API tested DirectDraw vs Direct3D already?
maybe you can gain some speed with one of the settings.

-> Host -> Filters - set NUllFilter or None or even NoScaling on one of the drop-down menus.
just in case you use some filters, which needs some cpu resources .

-> Host -> Display -> those line Modes and/or Buffering. maybe you can gain some percentages here aswell, if any.
worth a try, i think :)

JZon 13 November 2016 01:22

Cool Beans

1 Attachment(s)
Going for check out dah new setpatch now.

I was doing a fresh install beginning with CyberGraphX4+update, and I went to tools/showcgxconfig..

Attachment 50830

and I'm seeing 0 devices, (lol), so I navigate over to RTG Graphics Card (in WinUAE) and there's no Cybervision 64/3D option.

Is this the device it's looking for? Is there one downloadable? (When I go to Prefs/CGXMode, it just flashes (like it was supposed to do something but just blinks and does nothing).

I'm, of course, using WinUAEZorroIII[*] as the RTG Graphics card. I see other options in there, just not CyberVision 64/3D. Is this the device CyberGraphX4 wants to see? Is CyberGraphX4 the software that would've come with the CyberVision 64/3D board?

OK, Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

emufan 13 November 2016 01:36

1 Attachment(s)
yep, you have to add another card. take a look at the image attached.
first choose #2 slot , then choose a card. not the UAE card in this case.
i Think CyberGfx does not have a driver for it.
CyberGrphX is just the software, the driver, some of the cards listed will be
usable with this driver.

#1) cybervision maybe not emulated, but PicassoIV is supported by CyberGraphx

i'n not sure where the naming of software came from, same with picasso, somewhere someone explained it, but i forgot.
maybe CyberGraphx came in it's early years with the cybervision, later supporting other cards too. dunno exactly :)

"3D" is another issue. there is almost no technical detail about those chips, so Toni cannot emulate such chips.
there is a chance a Voodoo cards will be emulated, since there is enough info and already source code
in another emulator, so he can emulate this in Winuae, sooner or later.

JZon 13 November 2016 04:11

Dang

I almost went there. (Picasso IV)

I like this new beta version. (WinUAE)

So is what you're really saying is we need a backwards engineer for this..

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...ct.aspx?id=464

so Toni can emulate the WinUAE version? That almost sounds crazy, but it's true? A modern computer can emulate this?

What about Thomas? Doesn't he come from a long line of Phase 5 engineers? Maybe he has the blueprints and docs for these things? (ABox?)

I heard about this Voodoo a while back.

But even still, isn't UAEgfx going to automatically outsurpass all these older boards anyway?