English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sample Sounds with emulated Amiga OS3.9 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83697)

elowan 09 August 2016 10:06

Sample Sounds with emulated Amiga OS3.9

hi there,

I wonder, if there is a solution, to use tools like "Techno Turbo Sound", to sample some sound in an emulated environment, without special hardware (besides a simple microphone)

Did somebody found a way to do it?

Which software/hardware? is recommended?

Cheers!

elowan 09 August 2016 15:17

hmmmm, is this too crazy, even for the EAB ;P ???

Toni Wilen 09 August 2016 16:26

winuae has (crap quality, someday I'll fix it) default audio in to Amiga sound sampler emulation.

elowan 10 August 2016 09:41

Oh, that´s bad :( so quality will be worse, than it has been on original amiga, right?

How can I test/use the "Amiga sound sampler emulation"?

best regards

emufan 10 August 2016 10:08

in winuae you find it under: IO Ports --> Sampler (Parallel Port)
for fs-uae you can try the winuae variables ( as seen with the clipboard):

win32.samplersoundcard=0
win32.samplersoundcardname=Primary Sound Capture Driver
win32.samplersoundcardname.utf8=Primary Sound Capture Driver

or:

uae_win32.samplersoundcard=0
uae_win32.samplersoundcardname=Primary Sound Capture Driver
uae_win32.samplersoundcardname.utf8=Primary Sound Capture Driver

no idea if this will work.

elowan 10 August 2016 10:24

hey, thanks a lot - will have a look later, when I´m at home ;)

Toni Wilen 10 August 2016 14:34

Crap quality = outside world vs emulated world audio timing will drift, snaps and pops etc..

elowan 10 August 2016 14:39

oh - I think then it won´t be usable for sample tunes for use in a tracker... thanks anyway!

Michael Sykes 10 August 2016 19:03

I know its not the same thing.
But you could still emulate a Toccata and use that to record sound on the amiga side.
Worked for me but records only in 8bit(mono/stereo) and 16bit(µLaw) @ 48KHz. Anything else failed on playback.
BUT, no snaps no Pops, and not a big deal as there are many tools to convert it to something tracker friendly.

All you have to do is setup a source like the "what I hear"(wave source) in Windows.
Start a music player with sounds to sample.
Now start the Workbench, install the toccata software and record whatever you like.
As record source for Toccata I selected MIX.

Use the mediakeys on the keyboard to controll the windows player from within the emu.
You could even record the Amiga sound itself, as long as whatever you play is not messing with the multitasking.

elowan 11 August 2016 08:49

hey, thank you very much!

I try to comprehend, what you posted...

What tool should I use to convert s sample (maybe from windows software) into something tracker friendly?

What format does "Protracker" or "Soundtracker" support?

cheers

daxb 11 August 2016 15:44

There is at least on threat that treats converting 16bit wav samples to 8bit on a pc.
Quote:

What format does "Protracker" or "Soundtracker" support?
8svx mono in the range of about 4kHz to 28kHz. RAW should also work but I wouldn`t recommend it.

Michael Sykes 11 August 2016 15:59

Ok...
Once you have the Toccata and AHI up and running there shoud be a tool called "Toccata Record"
I did set it to µLaw - 48000Hz to record sound.
Record something and see if it works. Maybe you have to find the right windows sound source.
Dont forget to unmute it. ;-)

Once you hear someting if you playback the recording(from within Tocc.Rec.) download "SoundBox"(from aminet).
Load the Sample you saved and change it from singed to unsinged(Amiga+f).
It will sound like crap without that treatment.
Now save it as IFF/mono/8bit.

Download "Samplemanager" (also on aminet).
Load the IFF sample you saved in SoundBox and resample it to 22050 by pressing Amiga+r or select it from the menu. Save the file as 8svx,mono,22050Hz...
Output-format can be set in Prefs menu.

The resulting file should work as a sample in Protracker.
I did a quick test with MLine editor wich also loads PT mods and the file I created played fine as I replaced a sample in some random mod.

Sorry if thats a bit complicated. But these are the tools I had on my HDD.

PS: I bet you can google for "free windows sound converter" on your own. ^^
If not here is some help. http://bfy.tw/7AYv

But dont save it as 8SVX on the Amiga side if you want to load it in a Windows enviroment.
"Samplemanager" does also save(and load) in WAV or even MP3. An easy way to swap samples between PC and Amiga...

elowan 11 August 2016 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Sykes (Post 1105518)
Ok...
Once you have the Toccata and AHI up and running there shoud be a tool called "Toccata Record"
I did set it to µLaw - 48000Hz to record sound.
Record something and see if it works. Maybe you have to find the right windows sound source.
Dont forget to unmute it. ;-)

Once you hear someting if you playback the recording(from within Tocc.Rec.) download "SoundBox"(from aminet).
Load the Sample you saved and change it from singed to unsinged(Amiga+f).
It will sound like crap without that treatment.
Now save it as IFF/mono/8bit.

Download "Samplemanager" (also on aminet).
Load the IFF sample you saved in SoundBox and resample it to 22050 by pressing Amiga+r or select it from the menu. Save the file as 8svx,mono,22050Hz...
Output-format can be set in Prefs menu.

The resulting file should work as a sample in Protracker.
I did a quick test with MLine editor wich also loads PT mods and the file I created played fine as I replaced a sample in some random mod.

Sorry if thats a bit complicated. But these are the tools I had on my HDD.

PS: I bet you can google for "free windows sound converter" on your own. ^^
If not here is some help. http://bfy.tw/7AYv

But dont save it as 8SVX on the Amiga side if you want to load it in a Windows enviroment.
"Samplemanager" does also save in WAV or even MP3.

wow, this is explained very well - I´ll give it a shot!

:bowdown

Michael Sykes 11 August 2016 16:42

One last thing. Here I got a working Toccata library. Just in case the one you find/have doesn't work.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=994619&postcount=11

Anything else is from the normal Toccata driver disk(i think it was zoned or on the eab ftp maybe here http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/toccata) .
And AHI can be downloaded from aminet, of course.

Edit: why not just use samplemanager to load the mp3 and cut the sample there? We are both nuts. :nuts Me for thinking about it and you for confirming to try it....:D

elowan 12 August 2016 08:49

hehehehe

ok so... record samplpe on host (win) and copy mp3 to client (amiga). then cut and convert to 8SVX with soundmanager for use in protracker.

seems like a good solution to me ;)

Michael Sykes 12 August 2016 14:42

Yup. Thats the easy way.
But not the proper way to emulate recording on real HW.:D (it has not really answered the initial question)
Why criple the file by using MP3?
Just use WAV. Memory is not a problem if emulators are used.

To get back to the topic...
The emulated sampler in WinUAE is ok for short samples. But the soundquality is realy not that good. And most software is imo not very intuitive.

elowan 12 August 2016 15:22

Thanks again, Michael !

Yes, i think, you´re right about that. I think I will record my stuff in windows, transfer to emulated Amiga and work with Samplemaster and Protracker :great