English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Amiga Forever (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Setting up WinUAE to use Amiga Forever ROMs? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54098)

GCI 27 July 2010 20:09

Setting up WinUAE to use Amiga Forever ROMs?

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to Amiga, and although I was born just as the company was ending, I'd like to see what it was like back then :)

Anyhow, I've purchased Amiga Forever (the 2009 Plus edition) and I've downloaded/installed WinUAE 2.2.0. I've copied all of the included AF roms to a ROMs folder in WinUAE, and I've set the correct path to that folder. However, WinUAE fails to detect any of the roms, and it says that all emulation modes are unavailable. If someone can help me with getting WinUAE to detect the roms, that would be great. (And also tell me which one is the latest.)

Thanks!

~GCI

TCD 27 July 2010 20:12

Copy the file rom.key over as well ;)
Oh and welcome to EAB! Enjoy your stay :great

GCI 27 July 2010 20:17

Oh, I needed that too? How simple! :D

And thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to be here :)

GCI 27 July 2010 20:55

Oh, I've got another small question. I've created a hard disk image, but the HDTools cannot detect it, (or at least it thinks the status is unknown.) Does anyone know what to do here?

P.S. I'm trying to install Workbench 3.1. (That is the latest, right?)

TCD 27 July 2010 21:00

If you mean that you have a HDF file now, you don't need HDTools to install WB. 3.1 is the latest on disks. There are 3.5 and 3.9 on CD. Since we aren't allowed to link to them here, you are on your own if you want to find them. Of course you can still buy 3.9 ;)

GCI 27 July 2010 21:15

No problem, I'm sure I can find them ;)

I did make a blank HDF image, (I think,) and I guess I'd just like the experience of installing it.

thomas 27 July 2010 22:27

If you want to make a partitioned HDF, you need to enable RDB mode in WinUAE's Add Hardfile dialogue. And before you run HDToolbox you need to change it's icon information to read SCS_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device instead of scsi.device.

GCI 28 July 2010 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 687827)
If you want to make a partitioned HDF, you need to enable RDB mode in WinUAE's Add Hardfile dialogue. And before you run HDToolbox you need to change it's icon information to read SCS_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device instead of scsi.device.

Do you mean SCSI_DEVICE_NAME?

I'm just about to test it. (I put both of the floppies in write-protected mode so I wouldn't delete that setting like I did last time, and D'oh!, I gotta save it again :P)

GCI 28 July 2010 05:13

Ok, I did that, and the drive shows up in the list. Despite that, I cannot do anything, except for click Change Drive Type, at which point, nothing I do in there will enable the Ok button. Any ideas? (I'm thinking on making a tutorial video for this once I'm done, they seem far and few.)

GCI 28 July 2010 06:37

Hmm, scratch that, it seems setting the drive to SCSI0, and leaving the parameter as default in Amiga seemed to work fine. Weird.

thomas 28 July 2010 10:08

Driver needs to match the hardware:

Controller = UAE -> driver = uaehf.device
Controller = IDE or SCSI -> driver = scsi.device

IDE and SCSI controllers only work if you set chipset to a motherboard which has such a controller and if you select a KS ROM which contains the driver.

UAE controller works with every Amiga model and ROM because the driver is included in WinUAE.

GCI 29 July 2010 01:18

That's interesting though, because going full UAE did not seem to work. Oh well.

thomas 29 July 2010 08:00

You did not enable RDB mode.

Minuous 29 July 2010 16:14

Why not ask Cloanto this? They are the bastards who encrypted the ROMs to make life difficult, and to whom you have paid money for a commercial product. Are you saying they won't provide technical support (nor any instructions, by the sounds of it) for their product?

GCI 29 July 2010 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minuous (Post 688292)
Why not ask Cloanto this? They are the bastards who encrypted the ROMs to make life difficult, and to whom you have paid money for a commercial product. Are you saying they won't provide technical support (nor any instructions, by the sounds of it) for their product?

Instructions do seem far and few, despite having an enormous FAQ section (in 6 pt font, I might add, which makes it annoying to read.)