English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   AmiQuake2 - Quake 2 AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67125)

NovaCoder 24 December 2012 03:41

[ongoing] AmiQuake 2 - Quake 2 AGA

Another day, another port :D

This is the daddy and that I've wanted to port for ages, after porting both DOOM and Quake I thought it was about time I gave it a bash.

Details:

Based on the awesome Yamagi Quake 2 Port

Yamagi Quake II is an enhanced client for id Software's Quake II. The main focus is an unchanged single player experience like back in 1997, thus the gameplay and the graphics are unaltered. Over 1000 bugs were fixed and an extensive code audit done, making Yamagi Quake II one of the most solid Quake II implementations available. Other than most ports Yamagi Quake II is full 64 bit clean, so it works perfectly on modern 64 bit processors and operating systems. Yamagi Quake II is supported on FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows (XP or higher) and AmigaOS 3.

Features:
- Anisotropic filtering.
- Compatible with most mods (as long as their source is available).
- From scratch rewritten savegame system.
- Full 64 bit support.
- Ingame soundtrack playback via OGG/Vorbis.
- IPv6 support.
- Mature and stable codebase.
- No gameplay and graphic enhancements, but optional support for retexturing packs.
- Support for unlimited screen size / resolutions.
- Widescreen support.

Things that won't be implemented:
- Gameplay and graphic enhancements.
- r1q2 network protocol.

Video 1

Hopefully it will be a 2013 release (I'm a little bit busy at the moment though).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1044017)
This port uses AHI, it's really important that people use v4.18 of AHI with one of the 'FAST' modes set to be used in the AHI Prefs otherwise it will run slow on a real Amiga (this is true for any of my ports that use AHI).

BTW Boing Bags 3/4 will upgrade your Amiga to v6.x of AHI so check what version you are actually running.

This video shows how to correctly setup AHI on a real Amiga

Bamiga2002 24 December 2012 11:05

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you get this running :). And as always, I can beta test ;)

TCD 24 December 2012 11:39

Good luck with the port NovaCoder :)

This is my favourite FPS so you just inspired me to give it and the 2 mission packs another go :D

NovaCoder 24 December 2012 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 (Post 857791)
I'd be pleasantly surprised if you get this running :)

It already is running (see the videos), the question is....how fast can I get it running :p

BSzili 24 December 2012 21:06

Looking good! :) I see you also put texture filtering in. How is the performance with sw_texturesmooth 0?

NovaCoder 25 December 2012 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSzili (Post 857861)
Looking good! :) I see you also put texture filtering in. How is the performance with sw_texturesmooth 0?

Thanks, I'll have to see how it effects performance, maybe I'll make it an option.
This was just a quick 2 day port to get it done before Xmas, lots of hard work ahead next year to optermize it for AGA. I also want to back port some of the engine to AmiQuake

BSzili 25 December 2012 00:40

If you used my port as a base, it's already optional. You can turn texture smoothing on and off in in the video menu. I tried to make it as fast as possible, but there's a small performance hit.
I'm looking forward to and optimized port :D

NovaCoder 25 December 2012 00:54

I just used your software renderer, rest is v5.0 Yamagi.

I might be able to help you build your Hexen 2 port

:)

BSzili 25 December 2012 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 857882)
I just used your software renderer, rest is v5.0 Yamagi.

If you used the vanilla Yamagi Quake2 as a base, then make sure that the lightlevel cvar has the same name both in the client and in the renderer. I used r_lightlevel, but in Yamagi Quake2 it's called gl_lightlevel by default. It's extremely important to make it consistent, because this tells the client how well lit the player is. The enemy AI in the game DLLs uses it for visibility. I guess the guys at id couldn't find a better way to get the value from the renderer to the gameplay logic, so they stayed with this hack. Check the Cvar_Get in cl_main.c and r_main.c.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 857882)
I might be able to help you build your Hexen 2 port

That would be great! :D

NovaCoder 11 January 2013 01:25

Spent some more time on this port recently, currently the problem is that it needs lots of memory to run. Not sure why but it seems to need more than 128MB, maybe I can cut it down a bit.

utri007 11 January 2013 09:19

128mb is quite much :( I've 64mb in my 060

James 11 January 2013 23:42

Just ran the Hyperion version under WinUAE and that was using about 50MB when I looked. I remember them saying how difficult it was to get Heretic 2 (ported before Quake 2) to work (mostly) in 64MB. Perhaps their Quake 2 source, posted on Aminet could be of use to you?

http://aminet.net/package/game/shoot/Q2Src

NovaCoder 12 January 2013 09:00

Thanks for that, I could have a look at their sources for ideas.

NovaCoder 18 January 2013 04:11

Update:

I decided to just use the AROS port as a base because it's a safer option, spent a couple of days on it and got it back to running on my virtual machine. Big thanks to BSzili for the awesome AROS port, this has really helped me to create the AGA port (ScummVM also contains AROS back-ported code BTW).

Now just got input handling working so at least I can quit using the menu rather than having to reboot each time ;)

This is getting very exciting. I just need to get the memory requirements down to a more reasonable 128MB for me to give it a try on my own 1200.

I really hope I can get it fast enough to be playable in AGA.

fitzsteve 18 January 2013 09:27

You should be able to get it playable, this is Quake II 68k running through my Picasso IV on CSMkII 66mhz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35VH6BZX-y0

NovaCoder 18 January 2013 09:41

Yep I've seen that video before, it's one of the reasons why I decided to attempt this port in the first place. There's also this one of yours which is more like the frame-rate I want to get to -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZJNz3kt9o

The version that I'm porting should be faster than Hyperions hack because it's based on an optimized and bug-fixed version of Quake 2.

Bamiga2002 18 January 2013 09:57

Go Nova! :bowdown

fitzsteve 18 January 2013 10:08

Great stuff, will keep an eye on this thread :)

NovaCoder 18 January 2013 10:20

I'm uploading a new little video right now, will be available here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db23ZeBFZzo

Don't worry about the speed too much, this BETA is running with lots of debugging code enabled and my WinUAE box is just an ATOM.

tom256 18 January 2013 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 862536)
Don't worry about the speed too much, this BETA is running with lots of debugging code enabled and my WinUAE box is just an ATOM.

We can always use it as a benchmark :P