English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Assembler for AmigaOS? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45378)

oRBIT 11 June 2009 13:22

Assembler for AmigaOS?

Are there any Amiga coders left that still uses assembler? If so, which assembler do you use?
Asm-Pro hasn't been updated for ages (sadly since it has some 68020+ specific flaws that breaks my code written in Asm-One many years ago), and Asm-One hasn't been updated either (I really miss some features here that's available in Asm-Pro).

StingRay 11 June 2009 13:26

I use Asm-Pro most of the time mostly because it has better RTG support than ASM-One. If ASM-Pro complains about a valid 68020 instruction I use ASM-One to get the opcode which I then use in ASM-Pro. :D

oRBIT 11 June 2009 13:30

@Stingray: Yeah, that's the way I have been doing aswell..
Strange that no-one has touched(?) the code of Asm-Pro for several years when it's open-source..

StingRay 11 June 2009 13:31

Well, did you ever have a look at the source? No further comments needed! I gave up trying to update it a long time ago and several other coders did the same. I just learnt to live with ASM-Pro's bugs. :)

oRBIT 11 June 2009 13:32

I quickly checked the code and well.. "no" :-)

Vortex 11 June 2009 13:40

I use ASMOne (I'm nostalgic ;) ), but only code 68000 stuff, so can't really help here.
In case you didn't know already, follow this link for ASMOne info: http://www.theflamearrows.info/documents/asmone.html

Otherwise just forget this post.. ;)

StingRay 11 June 2009 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vortex (Post 558748)
In case you didn't know already, follow this link for ASMOne info: http://www.theflamearrows.info/documents/asmone.html

vs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRBIT (Post 558727)
and Asm-One hasn't been updated either

I bet he knows that link already. :P

oRBIT 11 June 2009 13:46

That website hasn't been updated for ages.. And the authors e-mail doesn't work either.

Asman 11 June 2009 13:50

I use Asm-One, Asm-Pro, Basm. Asm-Pro sometimes ( very rare ) hangs on my machine. So I decide to clean-up AsmPro source ( really hard and dirty job ) If I find enough free time ofcoz ( startup section cleaned ). I use Basm to compile whdload slaves.

StingRay 11 June 2009 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asman (Post 558765)
So I decide to clean-up AsmPro source ( really hard and dirty job ) If I find enough free time ofcoz ( startup section cleaned ).

I wish you good luck and a lot of spare time, you will need both. :) Many had the same idea, nobody succeeded. ;) Once you finished cleaning up the source I'll be interested to see how many new bugs ASM-Pro will have. ;)

Vortex 11 June 2009 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRBIT (Post 558763)
That website hasn't been updated for ages.. And the authors e-mail doesn't work either.

I saw the author (Boushh?) posting on a Dutch Amiga website not so long ago.
The site is in Dutch, so could be tricky, but I'm willing to try and get in contact with him on your behalf...

oRBIT 11 June 2009 14:13

@Vortex: That'd be nice. :)
I've been talking to him a few times over the years..

I actually have a personal version of Asm-One that's newer than the one he has on his website. :-)

Vortex 11 June 2009 14:15

Okay will do.

Have to register first, then I'll try to get in contact with him...
Stay tuned.

EDIT: Registered and posted PM. Now we'll just have to wait...

Truck 11 June 2009 21:03

I use asm-pro and asm-one, but mostly asm-pro because asm-one has goofy errors Stingray can't figure out (:

(Remember, Stingray? The wierd one where no matter what, it used 16 colors and acted like it only had 4 colors? So I had to use a screen promotion utility to fix it, and then some wierdness with the debugger STILL not using the right colors so I couldn't see the line I was debugging? (: )

Apollo 11 June 2009 22:49

Nowadays I use PhxAss v3.xx. I edit my files under Windows/Linux with (g)Vim.

Thats a bit for historical reasons : when I quit active coding in the mid-90s I used the same assembler together with GoldEd.

Anding 13 June 2009 05:19

I use Devpac 3. There is a great manual available in PDF format and the package includes an IDE. I'm sure there are technical reasons for preferring some of the alternatives, but for ease of use for a non-expert, I think Devpac is great.

Leffmann 13 June 2009 10:01

I use ASM-One to just try things quickly, and PhxAss if I write more code/several files.

For PhxAss I edit in Windows using Notepad++ or UltraEdit together with a small program that removes some whitespace first which PhxAss (and every other assembler on the Amiga it seems) doesn't like. GenAm (the actual assembler that the Devpac IDE uses) and PhxAss seem very equal to me, both superior to ASM-One and derivatives in a way since ASM-One only handles single files and can't link. I've never tried Barfly but it seems to be a complete and extended suite.

EDIT: did anyone ever try Argasm?

hitchhikr 13 June 2009 15:31

I use vasm/vlink and sometimes asmpro or monam for some debugging.

Wepl 13 June 2009 18:37

basm, vim and golded as editor

oRBIT 15 June 2009 10:29

Any Amiga-assembler still being developed? If the Natami ever gets released (with it's custom 68050 CPU), it would be really nice to have support for the new extended instructionset that comes with it..