English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New Board for Mac Amiga emulation (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17092)

Washac 30 January 2005 14:10

New Board for Mac Amiga emulation

Hi All

Not being able to find a forum where E-UAE & the Amiga Emulation Bundle could be discussed I have setup a List at:-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MACUAE

This list is for the Mac.

It is new so please bear with me and the list, and hopefully word will sneak out and things will get going.

Thanks for your time..

Amiga1992 30 January 2005 17:50

Excellent stuff, I will post since I've been having a few probs with my installation ;)

Pyromania 14 June 2007 04:12

Why does the Mac version of UAE suck so bad compared to WinUAE? I am trying to evaluated Aladdin 4D and it took me 2-3 hours to get everything setup right on a iBook. I could have just used my desktop XP machine but then I would not be able to use UAE from the comfort of my nice Queen size foam bed.

Fred the Fop 14 June 2007 07:14

I am solving this issue by saving up for a Mac Book. That way I can use Parallels or Boot Camp to use the vastly superior WinUAE.

ant512 14 June 2007 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
I am solving this issue by saving up for a Mac Book. That way I can use Parallels or Boot Camp to use the vastly superior WinUAE.

WinUAE in Parallels 3 with DirectX switched on - you rarely notice that it's running in a VM. It's considerably faster than the Intel build of E-UAE.

Pyromania 14 June 2007 17:45

@Fred the Duck

I had that solution till my MacBook got stolen.

:(

Marcuz 14 June 2007 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred the Duck

me too, i'll wait after october, though :)

boing_1000 16 June 2007 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana
me too, i'll wait after october, though :)

why? are they releasing new hardware then?

Marcuz 16 June 2007 15:42

in October the new OS will be out and possibly by then the macbook will have been updated more consistently than in the last upgrade. i also want to see the new Imac before to decide.

Tony Landais 04 January 2008 19:45

where can I get a good version of UAE for Mac OS X Intel based?

Hungry Horace 05 January 2008 14:05

afaik, there is only the PPC build - which i'm using on an Intel MacBook and has been working fine.

you will need the hi-toro GUI too probably: http://www.pimley.net/projects_hi-toro.html

i disagree that WinUAE is "far superior" - it's just the functionality of the GUI and the lack of a x86 e-uae build (any volenteers?) that lets it down.

re: running parallels on MacBook - i tried with with winuae-kaillera build and you get a different FPS every time you run it... not to mention some choppy sound. I'm also buggered if i can get the F12 key working, despite making sure leopard isnt grabbing it and stopping me using it....
very odd considering F3 for search seems to work.

Oh and help/del keys and the numpad are also unreachable... but this is true on e-uae too!

Normal WinUAE i think ran ok, but no better than e-uae, with the exception of the functionality. Not really worth it considering i couldnt hit F12.

Tony Landais 05 January 2008 16:05

PPC version runs far too slow on intel based machines.
I am surprised nobody was interested in building a MAC OS X version.

I only get a proper ntsc and pal vertical synchro on my TV from MAC OS X.

Hungry Horace 05 January 2008 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Landais (Post 384386)
PPC version runs far too slow on intel based machines.

it runs normal speed here on a MacBook dualcore 2.2. i dont know what your talking about?

maybe it because i'm only using it for games / AMOS.

Octamed runs crap on it, but that's true of WinUAE too.

Unch 05 January 2008 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Horace (Post 384348)
afaik, there is only the PPC build - which i'm using on an Intel MacBook and has been working fine.

Someone on Amiga.org made an experimental x86 build that had JIT. I don't think that it's that difficult to do. IIRC the only reason there isn't an Intel build available directly from EvilRich is because he simply doesn't own an Intel Mac.

Hungry Horace 05 January 2008 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unch (Post 384477)
Someone on Amiga.org made an experimental x86 build that had JIT. I don't think that it's that difficult to do. IIRC the only reason there isn't an Intel build available directly from EvilRich is because he simply doesn't own an Intel Mac.

well if someone on -this- board fancies doing it, or pointing me towards a copy, i'd be quite happy to "test" it!

Tony Landais 05 January 2008 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Horace (Post 384482)
well if someone on -this- board fancies doing it, or pointing me towards a copy, i'd be quite happy to "test" it!

that makes at least 2 interested now :)... come on!

OddbOd 06 January 2008 10:49

I must be missing something here, what's wrong with using Jens Weichert's E-UAE Universal Binaries?

Tony Landais 06 January 2008 15:38

Thanks OddOd!
Great news to see someone actually did an Universal version. But I still can t make it emulate a simple A500 at nomal speed so I must do something wrong.
Do you know how to get the best of it on Intel machines ?
I used Hi Toro for the configuration, maybe there is an Intel flag for optimization.

OddbOd 06 January 2008 17:41

Did you enable OpenGL rendering? This seems to make quite a significant difference.

I just tried it again on my brother's Hackintosh (10.4.9 running on an AMD64 3700+) and the performance was fine, hopefully you aren't experiencing the same mysterious slow-down as the guy in this thread because so far nobody seems to have figured out why it happens.

Unch 06 January 2008 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Horace (Post 384482)

As mentioned in OddbOd's link Bloodline's Intel build is found at -

http://www.troubled-mind.co.uk/UAE.zip