English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting 'Workbench is not validated' using HDF (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84058)

Steve 09 September 2016 17:00

Getting 'Workbench is not validated' using HDF

1 Attachment(s)
I am receiving a checksum error and 'Workbench is not validated' error after booting up my Workbench 3.9 HDF file.

I didn't think it was possible to get checksum errors on HDF files. This has never happened to me before. What do you think has caused the error?

More importantly how can I fix it?

thomas 09 September 2016 17:39

This is file system checksum, not harddisk checksum. Harddisk checksum errors are impossible, file sytem works like always.

DiskSalv should be able to fix it.

Steve 09 September 2016 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1110375)
This is file system checksum, not harddisk checksum. Harddisk checksum errors are impossible, file sytem works like always.

DiskSalv should be able to fix it.

OK thanks, I'll give it a try.

Toni Wilen 09 September 2016 18:55

Take backup of the HDF first. (if something goes wrong)

Steve 09 September 2016 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1110390)
Take backup of the HDF first. (if something goes wrong)

Yes I should probably have done that first. Disksalv seemed to fix the problem though. Thanks. :)

I think it may have been when I was playing Dungeon Master WHDLoad and saved the game. The error seemed to be located in that folder. Is it just one of those things that can't be prevented and happens occasionally?

paul1981 09 September 2016 19:30

Error could be caused by power loss/ending emulation immediately when writing to the disk as with a real FFS Amiga partition.

Disksalv should be safe to use providing that your partition is 2GB or less, and the partition is with the first 4GB of the drive (or HDF).

paul1981 09 September 2016 19:33

@Steve

Use PFS or SFS, and never worry about invalid partitions again.

Steve 09 September 2016 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1981 (Post 1110398)
Error could be caused by power loss/ending emulation immediately when writing to the disk as with a real FFS Amiga partition.

Disksalv should be safe to use providing that your partition is 2GB or less, and the partition is with the first 4GB of the drive (or HDF).

My Workbench file is 500MB so was safe luckily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1981 (Post 1110399)
@Steve

Use PFS or SFS, and never worry about invalid partitions again.

Not sure if I dare change the partition type. Could it go wrong? How easy is it?

meynaf 09 September 2016 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 1110392)
I think it may have been when I was playing Dungeon Master WHDLoad and saved the game. The error seemed to be located in that folder. Is it just one of those things that can't be prevented and happens occasionally?

If it's just Dungeon Master, there are better installs than the whdload one.

thomas 09 September 2016 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 1110400)
Not sure if I dare change the partition type. Could it go wrong? How easy is it?

Changing file system makes the partition unformatted. You have to backup all files before the change and restore them afterwards.

But you are in emulated environment. Just make a second HDF with PFS and copy all files from the old to the new one.

But be warned: PFS and SFS are resistant against validation errors. But they can become corrupted, too. And then usually everything is lost. FFS is the best regarding data safety.

Making a backup us most easy with emulation. Just duplicate the HDF and there you are.

Retrofan 09 September 2016 21:38

Yep, copying and pasting hdf's is great on windows. I'm always making that to start again when I want to change things.

Steve 10 September 2016 17:10

Thanks, I might stick as I am then for now and maybe change to PFS in the near future.