English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Monitor/TV options for an A1200 just dusted off from the attic (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67572)

GameBase 27 January 2013 20:00

Monitor/TV options for an A1200 just dusted off from the attic

Really looking forward to setting this all up after so many years... but I just realised... I don't have a monitor or TV capable of hooking it up to.

I'm thinking grab a sony trinitron off ebay if I can and connect via scart, or wait until a Commodore Monitor comes up and try to nab that...

I don't suppose its possible to connect it to an LCD TV through a VGA adapter or something? I'm guessing compatibility with an LCD wouldn't be great...

Thanks for any advice

johnim 27 January 2013 20:22

hi have a look here
The GBS-8220 is widely considered the best value for money RGB scandoubler
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=20468

or use a rgb to scart for pal hires

klx300r 27 January 2013 20:38

I've got an Indivison AGA MKI that's just is amazing if you can find one for sale used.

btw, i hear that the newer MKII's have given some people problems with VGA so do some research (if you're interested) before buying the newer version.

GameBase 27 January 2013 20:48

thanks guys. I'll look into the AGA MkII

Peter 27 January 2013 21:49

Try and pick up an old Amiga Specific monitor locally - a 1081 or 1084 - maybe a Philips cm8833 - so long as it is in full working order you will be really impressed with the picture you get on one of these old beasts.

Turran 27 January 2013 22:09

You don't have a scart cable with RGB in your tv now?

demolition 27 January 2013 22:17

I'd recommend RGB SCART or an Indivision AGA MkI - the MkII isn't worth getting at the moment. It needs a new firmware and a config tool which might be a while (if ever).

GameBase 28 January 2013 20:32

thanks guys... I picked up a dirt cheap sony trinitron today so will hopefully get to try it out tonight. Might keep an eye out for a 1081/1084 or a cm8833 though.

Then I'll fire it all up and determine what the A1200 specs are. I'd like to get a WHDLoad setup working I think.

fitzsteve 31 January 2013 00:47

Hey I just noticed this thread too :)

I have a CM8833 Monitor here if you want that for Beer money, if you see I posted in your other thread, I'd be happy to take a look at your Amiga whilst you're here too :great

Peter 31 January 2013 01:19

@ Steve - I'd be interested in that monitor maybe if Gamebase doesn't want it...

GameBase 31 January 2013 01:25

Hi steve,

The monitor sounds great if its still available. I've replied about the other stuff in the other thread. Cheers!

SS454 03 February 2013 04:51

Good to see another RGB monitor out there. Nothing better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnim (Post 864361)
hi have a look here
The GBS-8220 is widely considered the best value for money RGB scandoubler
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=20468

or use a rgb to scart for pal hires

It's the cheapest, but not "value for money".

The picture is rubbish. Amiga resolutions don't scale cleanly to any of the ones it can output, it samples wrong so you end up with weirdy horizontal banding, it can't deal with the sync properly, so you end up with a ghosting mouse cursor unless you buffer it...

Some people think it's scaling is better than an LCD on its own, but that's not saying much. The scaling IC is actually one used in cheapy LCD TVs anyway! And you have to assemble everything yourself.

Second hand HD sky box for about £10, HDMI to VGA adapter. Plug Amiga scart lead into sky box, plug sky box into monitor.

Cheaper, more effective, no time and money spent faffing.

jimmer78 09 February 2013 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS454 (Post 865593)
Good to see another RGB monitor out there. Nothing better.

It's the cheapest, but not "value for money".

The picture is rubbish. Amiga resolutions don't scale cleanly to any of the ones it can output, it samples wrong so you end up with weirdy horizontal banding, it can't deal with the sync properly, so you end up with a ghosting mouse cursor unless you buffer it...

Some people think it's scaling is better than an LCD on its own, but that's not saying much. The scaling IC is actually one used in cheapy LCD TVs anyway! And you have to assemble everything yourself.

Second hand HD sky box for about £10, HDMI to VGA adapter. Plug Amiga scart lead into sky box, plug sky box into monitor.

Cheaper, more effective, no time and money spent faffing.

Wow so this sky box trick will work with hi res modes for amiga?

SS454 21 February 2013 04:08

It'll work with anything you can expect a TV to show.

ElectroBlaster 12 November 2013 00:31

What?

So you can use a cheap old Sky HD box for something usefull?

I must look into this!