English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   sharpened display ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72746)

turrican3 01 March 2014 17:58

sharpened display ?

could it be possible to have a way to have sharpened display with winuae, i mean like we change the contrast etc ... ???

s2325 01 March 2014 19:45

Every single pixel is visible so what we can sharp? You can adjust that with your monitor, not emulator.

amilo3438 01 March 2014 20:39

How about to get yourself some glasses ?! ;)

Dunny 01 March 2014 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 940935)
Every single pixel is visible so what we can sharp? You can adjust that with your monitor, not emulator.

Apply a simple sharpening box filter? Could probably find a shader to do that.

Even with all pixels visible, a sharpen filter enhances the edges between regions of contrasting colour and can look quite good on the right kind of image.

D.

Retro-Nerd 01 March 2014 20:44

Though a contrast, gamma, saturation panel for WinUAE would be nice. Toni said iirc someday, if he can find a decent algorithm for it.

Marcuz 01 March 2014 21:06

I would like a panel for contrast, gamma, saturation and hue too: with a fictional image like it is the one on screen in any amiga game it would be cool to drastically change colors :)

Toni Wilen 01 March 2014 21:08

Check Display panel. (But why? Use display card control panel to adjust colors, it works much better because it may not be limited to 8-bits per color channel)

Retro-Nerd 01 March 2014 21:17

The current panel in "Display" tab isn't good enough imo, especially for color look/vibrance.

Quote:

But why? Use display card control panel to adjust colors, it works much better because it may not be limited to 8-bits per color channel
I prefer more cooler display colors in PC OS, more warmer/vibrant in emulators. So, it would be an annoying switch between them.

Leandro Jardim 02 March 2014 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 940962)
The current panel in "Display" tab isn't good enough imo, especially for color look/vibrance.

I think the panel should be complete (with saturation, hue, etc.), even if the algorithms used to implement they, are not optimized for quality. But I am happy with what Toni will decide.

Marcuz 02 March 2014 00:48

I have a reason why not to use card controls that selfish: because the PC where I have Winuae is the one I use to work too, and I prefer not to fiddle with profiles there, I need to keep color correction safe, plus the control on my monitor are almost unusable, as the brightness and contrast there are so high by factory that if I don't keep them really low I suffer headaches in minutes of work.

This is no reason that should apply to everybody, and admittedly it's not a feature that would have large use, I'm just saying it would be cool to try it.

mc6809e 02 March 2014 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcuz (Post 940957)
I would like a panel for contrast, gamma, saturation and hue too: with a fictional image like it is the one on screen in any amiga game it would be cool to drastically change colors :)

I always wondered what it would be like to use the YIQ color space the Amiga was intended to have originally.

HAM would have been really great.

Tsak 02 March 2014 13:48

Not exactly sure if that's what turrican3 meant by "sharpened winuae display" but truth is that UAE generates loads of blurness when screen resolution is set to something like 800x600 e.t.c.
Set your display at a resolution like 1280x1024 (full screen) or 640x512 (windowed) and display will automatically become much sharper.

Retro-Nerd 02 March 2014 17:09

For LCD you have to select the native resolution of you display, then there is no blurry image due to scaling/interpolation. 800x600 or 1024x768 is something for CRT monitors or very very old LCDs, which have this native resolution.