English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Amiga Power crew? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10762)

Peanutuk 17 August 2003 09:32

I agree

PriestJPN 27 August 2003 00:13

Last issue of CU Amiga: October 1998
Editor: Tony Horgan
Dep Ed: Andrew Kosh

Quote from page 11:

" CU Amiga Closes - FAQ

Q-Why is CU Amiga closing?
A-Because it is no longer making a profit and therefore cannot continue to be published."

And then from the end of the same page:

"Q-So is it time to pack the Amiga away for good?
A-No! Keep on keeping on and we'll see you soon in happier times."

Make of that what you will...

IanS 01 September 2003 15:59

The cover on my copy of the last issue of CU Amiga was printed upside down. I always assumed they were making a statement of somekind... can't say I blame them!

DisposableHero 03 December 2004 00:17

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I wonder what the rest of you think of Amiga Power's place as a magazine? To me, their reviews were unbiased, honest and knowledgable, and they were often either the only maagzine, or one of very few, to shoot down hyped games that were rubbish (Rise of the Robots, Microcosm, EPIC). The fact that they were games fans rather than Amiga fans per sé was probably what set them apart. I love the way the whole argument agaisnt them here stems fgrom a factually-inaccurate and far-fetched tale relating to the supposedly-brilliant CU Amiga.

Galaxy 03 December 2004 03:12

I personally liked AP, purely for the fact that it tended to cover more games than the other mags (and I bought most of the different Amiga mags that were available at the time). That does not mean I agree with their reviews (like for example, their constant preaching that Rainbow Islands was the best Amiga game ever produced). Of course the reviews are going to be biased - it is impossible to write an unbiased review as it is always going to reflect the review's tastes, however I might point out that AP was probably the only Amiga mag that regularly published other reviewer's opinions of the game (On the other hand...)

Personally I consider AF as probably the best Amiga mag overall, and the fact that it was the last of the mainstream Amiga mags to close was probably a good indicator that much of the market agreed. I definitely preferred the English mags to the American ones. Australian Commodore and Amiga Review was also pretty good.

At the end of the day it is all a matter of opinion.

ant512 03 December 2004 10:07

AP was my favourite Amiga mag, mainly because it was entertaining and extremely well written. To be honest, it was even better once they ran out of games to review and turned to articles about JFK, Office Joust, etc. There's never been a mag anywhere near as good.

Graham Humphrey 04 December 2004 14:51

Who remembers the AP Files?

Hungry Horace 30 September 2020 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by manicx (Post 115428)

SWOS may be good for one player game, but it will never ever get half as close to the 2-player mode of Kick Off 2. Sensi soccer's 2p mode sucks. And it will never ever have a strong community with 1200+ members, 2 official WCs, official rankings and so on...

Well this aged badly!! ( sensiblesoccer dot de I’m looking at you!)

Reason for thread necromancy: I was searching for info on whether Tony Horgan was editor of CU Amiga when SWOS ‘98 was made, and stumbled on this.... :D

S. Campbell 01 October 2020 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisposableHero (Post 171864)
I love the way the whole argument agaisnt them here stems fgrom a factually-inaccurate and far-fetched tale relating to the supposedly-brilliant CU Amiga.

And from the fact that butthurt Kick Off 2 fans still can't let it go from (at that time) over 20 years ago...

Guy's probably still raging about it now. :crazy