English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Old Rare Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   CUBO CD32 Games.. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16081)

DamienD 22 November 2016 20:36

Well, I'm happy to report that after woefully remapping my Xbox 360 controller --> a CD32 pad; I'm now able to insert coins, start the game and then move the pointer :great

If only I could work out what button released the bubbles (or whatever they are called in this game) :lol

Would be very interesting if a real CD32 user could test this patched image file and then list what buttons on your controller do what :agree

Cobe 22 November 2016 20:39

tHANX D! Tested in WinUAE so far.

DamienD 22 November 2016 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobe (Post 1124070)
tHANX D! Tested in WinUAE so far.

Don't thank me, thank Toni :agree

...so, I presume in WinUAE it's all working and you've successfully mapped your joystick / joypad to a CD32 pad?

Can you advise on my question above my friend?

Cobe 22 November 2016 20:49

Yeah, I did. I simply mapped the keyboard. I don't know a thing about XBox but RED releases the bubbles.

Thanks Toni! :)

DamienD 23 November 2016 00:59

Ah, another successful day in the office!!! :p

Well, finally managed to setup my Xbox 360 wireless controllers --> CD32 pads (see this thread for more details) :great

...so have now tested the "patched" image file via WinUAE; all good :agree

Guess I should really upload this to the "EAB File Server" under "/Commodore_Amiga/CD/CD32" for preservation purposes ;)

<heads off to do so>

Not that there should be any issues, but is anyone going to test this on a real CD32 and report back?

earok 23 November 2016 01:15

Tested in WinUAE, will try to get around to testing on CD32 tonight. Great stuff!

CD32 pad mappings seem to be:
RED: Start/Fire (Player 1 or 2 depending on joypad)
BLUE: Exit settings menu
FORWARD: Insert coin

Update - I'm looking into the contents of the disc, there appears to be a second game on it (CINQUE), with reference to a third that appears to not be on the disc ("FORZA4", presumably unrelated to the XBox title!)

Update 2 - The "CINQUE" game on the disc appears to be "Lucky Five". Probably not worth doing anything with that one?

earok 23 November 2016 07:16

It works on a real CD32, but there's an odd inconsistency between how WinUAE handles it and how a real console handles it. The difference is WinUAE allows you to tweak the dipswitch settings (you're prompted to when the game loads) but on a real CD32 it skips the menu and loads the game directly (presumably with whatever the default settings are).

Amigajay 23 November 2016 08:28

Great work DamienD! I was going to have a look tonight at this, but seems I have time on my hands now!
Will try it out later, hope it plays well, from the little is known it is said to quite decent?

Edit: Sorry forgot to thank Toni to telling us how to do it in the first place, cheers!

Toni Wilen 23 November 2016 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1124122)
It works on a real CD32, but there's an odd inconsistency between how WinUAE handles it and how a real console handles it. The difference is WinUAE allows you to tweak the dipswitch settings (you're prompted to when the game loads) but on a real CD32 it skips the menu and loads the game directly (presumably with whatever the default settings are).

I don't think there is any inconsistency. Unless you erased your CD32 NVRAM before testing :)

earok 23 November 2016 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1124136)
I don't think there is any inconsistency. Unless you erased your CD32 NVRAM before testing :)

how does it use NVRAM? It might be possible that either my winuae nvram file or my real CD32s nvram might be full, but I'm not in a position to check right now.

Amigajay 23 November 2016 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1124122)

This was already known, if i remember that ninjaw cd32 bloke said the same, the dipswtich screen appears on an amiga reading the cd but not a cd32.

DamienD 23 November 2016 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1124111)
Update - I'm looking into the contents of the disc, there appears to be a second game on it (CINQUE), with reference to a third that appears to not be on the disc ("FORZA4", presumably unrelated to the XBox title!)

Update 2 - The "CINQUE" game on the disc appears to be "Lucky Five". Probably not worth doing anything with that one?

Found this last night; you can see some screenshots here ;)

DamienD 23 November 2016 10:31

The only other Cubo CD32 game that looks worth playing is Harem Challenge.

Problem being that all we have so far though is the MAME .chd file... Most probably not able to patch this in the same way as the Candy Puzzle image files.

I know Hammy mentions he has this but is unfortunately AWOL :sad

Would be cool if we could source the image files for this game; time to start looking I guess ;)

Toni Wilen 23 November 2016 11:11

chdman should be able to convert to/from chd, bin/cue etc..

DamienD 23 November 2016 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1124169)
chdman should be able to convert to/from chd, bin/cue etc..

Nice; I was going to look into this tonight Toni when home :great

DamienD 23 November 2016 12:49

Hmmm, not sure if I'm doing this correctly :confused

Method 1:

http://i63.tinypic.com/azh2j5.png

If I open the file "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32" with Notepad afterwards it looks like:

Code:

CD_ROM

// Track 1
TRACK MODE1 RW_RAW
NO COPY
DATAFILE "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.bin" 49:59:70 // length in bytes: 482389280

// Track 2
TRACK AUDIO RW_RAW
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
DATAFILE "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.bin" #482389280 00:05:43 // length in bytes: 1023264

Method 2:

http://i65.tinypic.com/4vpno6.png

Unfortunately I get warnings...

If I open the file "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.cue" with Notepad afterwards it looks like:

Code:

FILE "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 49:59:70

emufan 23 November 2016 13:12

i dont have that image here, but as written in the image, you have to force chdman to output .toc instead of .cue:
chdman -extractcd input.chd output.(toc/cue) output.bin (if toc, no extension if cue)
^^ uses older syntax, taken from a mame board.

try "-o Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.toc" instead of "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.cue"

Toni Wilen 23 November 2016 13:17

Subchannel data should be normally unused (at least none of the normal CD32 games use it) and can be ignored, unless there is CD+G or similar stuff.

DamienD 23 November 2016 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by emufan (Post 1124196)
i dont have that image here, but as written in the image, you have to force chdman to output .toc instead of .cue:
chdman -extractcd input.chd output.(toc/cue) output.bin (if toc, no extension if cue)
^^ uses older syntax, taken from a mame board.

try "-o Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.toc" instead of "Harem Challenge Cubo CD32.cue"

Cheers; this produces the same files as "Method 1" in post #56 ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1124197)
Subchannel data should be normally unused (at least none of the normal CD32 games use it) and can be ignored, unless there is CD+G or similar stuff.

Ok, so would you say use "Method 2" then?

emufan 23 November 2016 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1124199)
Cheers; this produces the same files as "Method 1" in post #56 ;)

ah, ok. so toc mode is default, if there is no extension given.

#1) *.toc is not recognized, if you open the "insert cd" dialog in winuae. so Methode #2 is the way to go.

#2) but how does one "Insert a Coin" when playing this game ?

^^ just reading above, i will try what earok wrote:

CD32 pad mappings seem to be:
RED: Start/Fire (Player 1 or 2 depending on joypad)
BLUE: Exit settings menu
FORWARD: Insert coin