English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [WEBSITE] Amiga-Zone (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51607)

mombasajoe 17 March 2010 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronko (Post 652648)
I got a Workbench Copy with the Amiga500 I bought at Ebay on an HD-Disc, claiming to be made in February 1995. It works flawless. ;)

That depends on the built-in type of disc drive, doesn´t? IIRC e.g. Chinon drives work fine with HD discs.

Bronko 17 March 2010 18:49

I don't know....
It worked on two different drives already though. ;)

Dreedo 17 March 2010 21:44

lol ok, so im a little confused. If i get a HD floppy, and write data to it from my pc, formatting it as a 880/720kb disc, will my workbench 2.05 Amiga will be able to read it? As it can read blank HD 1.44mb floppy's, even though it cant use them without formatting it to 880/720kb.

prowler 17 March 2010 22:36

Hi Dreedo,

As has already been explained here, Amiga Workbench 2.05 and later can read and write DOS-formatted 720kB disks by virtue of a bundled program called CrossDOS. To function properly, however, this must be set up for each floppy drive attached to the Amiga.

Generally, the disks used must be DD (double density) type, because HD (high density) disks are unreadable on the Amiga. Some users report no problems with HD disks, however, and it looks like your Amiga's floppy drive can use them.

Such disks must be DOS-formatted to 720kB capacity, either on the PC or on the Amiga with CrossDOS installed. The Amiga will not read HD disks DOS-formatted to 1440kB, and the PC will not read DD disks DOS-formatted to 880kB capacity without extra hardware.

Dreedo 17 March 2010 23:25

Right gotcha, so if i get a HD 1440kb floppy and format it as a 880kb floppy on my pc and put something on it, my Amiga will be able to read it?

prowler 17 March 2010 23:33

You can't format a HD floppy to 880kB capacity on your PC. It will have to be 720kB. But yes, your Amiga will then be able to read it and write to it, provided you have CrossDOS enabled on that floppy drive.

You will know whether you have CrossDOS installed, by the appearance of another floppy disk icon on your desktop labelled PC0:??? every time you insert an Amiga formatted floppy disk.

a DOS-formatted floppy disk should be mounted as PC0: if you insert it in DF0:

Note that it is usual to see another icon labelled DF0:??? on your desktop when you insert a DOS-formatted floppy.

Dreedo 17 March 2010 23:38

Yes i do get the ??? on my A600. So i probably do have crossDOS on it.

Time to get a external USB floppy drive me thinks.

I just threw out about 40 HD floppies too, i only have 2 left, and i use 1 for my programming on my Amiga lol.

Djay 18 March 2010 20:13

get yourself some DD/DS disks from amigakit.com

if your desperate i'll send you some old disks to use

Dreedo 18 March 2010 22:38

Thanks but i can get hold of floppies easy enough on my own, besides i havent even got a floppy drive yet. Got one in my PC, but wont read any floppies, PC detects the drive, but when i put a floppy in theres not whirring or anything and it says please insert a floppy into drive A:.

ipod_sock 19 March 2010 00:24

Nice and simple site, me like, but the proof reader in me has noticed...

'AMIGA 1000 (1985)' need to be in the larger font like the rest of the Amiga models fonts.

Plus a nice favicon wouldn't go amiss ;)

But now I'm just being picky!

p.s. I've got shit loads of floppies, bought em' from the Bay, if you or anyone else fancies a few, pm me... btw, they're YELLOW! lol

Dreedo 19 March 2010 11:20

Quote:

Plus a nice favicon wouldn't go amiss
Lol thats just so picky. :P

But yeah i was originally planning to do them all in one paragraph, but changed my mind later, i did notice the Amiga 1000 was in smaller font, but didnt get around to fixing it.

EDIT: Updated with new template and added a site logo. Tell me if you like the new one or preferred the old one, please. :)

EDIT#2: Website under going changes, so weird things may happen if you visit it.

EDIT#3: Added an Arcade to the website, Template changed again to make the arcade work. The arcade will contain flash games that are modelled off of original Amiga games, such as Space Invaders, Lemmings, Arkanoid ect.

EDIT#4: Added stats to the website, but they will be slightly inaccurate, as i had to jump the clock forward 8 hours to comply with English time. So we lost 8 hours of stats today, so i imagine less people will visit today than yesterday, due to it being a 16 hour day. :)

Come and have some fun, dont forget to sign up to the website to post comments. :)

Dreedo 20 March 2010 23:20

Just received an email to say Amiga-Zone made it into the top 1% of all websites created this week on webs.com. :)

Just say if theres anything you wanted me to add to the site.

prowler 20 March 2010 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreedo (Post 653696)
Just received an email to say Amiga-Zone made it into the top 1% of all websites created this week on webs.com. :)

Well done, mate! :agree Congratulations! :great

Dreedo 20 March 2010 23:26

Thanks a lot Prowler, i've made about 7 sites over the past few years on webs, this is the only one to get something like that. :)

Actually might take PC apart and try and make my floppy drive work, could have some fun tonight. ;)

Lol got it to work i think, the data cables were in the floppy drive the wrong way round.

cosmicfrog 21 March 2010 13:31

not an uncomon problem for floppy drives Dreedo

I couple of things you could buy cross dos seperatly if you wanted and also cross mac but lets not go there yet heheheh

also an Amiga High density disk drive as found in the A4000 or one made by power computing could read highdesity PC disks

but these are really just small things

Dreedo 21 March 2010 23:45

lol ok thanks for the info.

EDIT: Updated the Amiga's page, now with photos of all the Amiga's.

EDIT#2: I would do game reviews, but im broke, and still cant get games onto my amiga, i have a PC floppy drive and my amiga, and 2 HD 1.44mb floppies, but that doesnt help me much, i dont really know what to do with them, i dont think i can just buy blank amiga discs then put data from pc onto them and use them on Amiga, as PC's cant use Amiga floppies without spending money. lol.

Tried putting a game under .lzh compression onto a 1.44mb HD floppy formatted as a 720kb floppy, but my Amiga couldn't read it, just listed it as DF0: and not PC0:.

EDIT#3: ITS A NEW DAY! Currently the record of the most unique users in one day was 61 on the 16th of March 2010. Yesterday (21st of March 2010) we achieved 29 unique users in one day, the 3rd highest day so far.

cosmicfrog 22 March 2010 19:25

use a harddiskdrive or compactflash formated on amiga then move it to pc and use winuae to copy your adfs to it. then move it back to pc and write adfs back to disk

CodyJarrett 22 March 2010 19:40

There are a few typos on the site:

"probably wont find" -> "probably won't find"
"other enthusiast's to" -> "other enthusiasts to"
"if your a new Amiga owner" -> "if you're a new Amiga owner"
"The Amiga's" -> "The Amigas"
"what im talking about" -> "what I'm talking about"

Dreedo 23 March 2010 10:58

lol im afraid i cant afford that at the moment.

And thanks for pointing out those typo's, i'll get it sorted soon.

cosmicfrog 23 March 2010 12:27

Dreedo ask, you never know someone round here might have an old 2.5" HDD + cable going spare

at a push you could use a normal size ide drive with right cable and a power spliter from floppy drive. Though putting top of case back on might not be possible.