English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 May 2019, 12:18   #1
Mikerochip

AmigaOS 3.1.4, PCMCIA NIC and 8MB of ram!

Can it all work together?

Does the patch from here work with 3.1.4?
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=226

I recently got a NexNIC MD011 16 bit 10/100 NE2000 PCMCIA for €5!
Works fine on my laptop, and seems to work ok on the A1200, but I can't really tell, since I installed MiamiDX, but don't have enough ram left to load it! (MiamiInit finds my subnet though, and it seems to work that much at least!)

And because I can't use it with my PCMCIA SRAM, I bought an 8Mb expansion/trapdoor card.

And a 3.1.4 rom and disks (since postage had to be paid, and I only have a 3.0 rom in the A1200 before now)

The card does have a 4/8mb switch, but I'd rather not pay for 8mb and only use 4 of it!

I saw Tony's post here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=506385&postcount=25

If the top link doesn't work, does anyone know if I can modify the existing 3.1.4 file in the above way, and if it'll work?

Or if there'll ever be an official 3.1.4 card.resource that's only for a PCMCIA NIC?
Old 27 May 2019, 12:57   #2
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Can it all work together?

Does the patch from here work with 3.1.4?
I'm not quite sure what this patch attempts to do, but if this is the issue with the 3.1 cardres that it refuses to accept any PCMCIA cards with 8MB zorro RAM present, then the good news is that this patch is no longer required as the 3.1.4. cardres resource became smarter by itself.

Hence, chances are that things just work without patching.
Old 27 May 2019, 13:10   #3
Mikerochip

I think so, I think the old cardres disables the PCMCIA port altogether when the other ram is present.

And the driver for the NIC doesn't use any ram addresses in that range, so, it shouldn't be an issue. (I think that's why the card works with the patch)

But! If it all just works, that's great news!!
Old 05 June 2019, 21:33   #4
Mikerochip

Welp.

An update: My 8mb card arrived: And if *any* pcmcia card is in the slot, the A1200 doesn't see the onboard IDE controller at all, so, it won't boot.

So, it doesn't all work, unfortunately!
Ah well.

I might end up putting back in the 3.0 roms, and trying to get the above patch working, if it will boot with the 8MB expansion set to 8MB.

(I bought both from AmigaStore.eu, if anyone is wondering!)
Old 14 June 2019, 15:25   #5
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Mikerochip

Any update on this?

Did the 3.0 roms work?

If they dont, then your hardware is failing.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:57   #6
Thomas Richter

Quote:
An update: My 8mb card arrived: And if *any* pcmcia card is in the slot, the A1200 doesn't see the onboard IDE controller at all, so, it won't boot.
At least not reproducable on my side, with my A1200.
Old 25 May 2020, 16:06   #7
solarmon

Quote:
Welp.

@Mikerochip

I recently got the 3.1.4 ROMs in my A1200 rev 2B with 8MB fast ram expansion (A1208 by Edu Arana) and have come across this exact issue!

Please can you confirm what revision A1200 and what 8MB Fast ram expansion you have.
Old 25 May 2020, 17:50   #8
Thomas Richter

This problem has been identified in the meantime. The problem is that the A1200 overlays the PCMCIA space at 0x0060000 and up, and if there is RAM at this area, the RAM is gone and replaced by the PCMCIA card. Worse, if scsi.device was loaded via LoadModule, or some other component is in this RAM area, it is lost, and then the system does not boot at al.

3.1. disabled PCMCIA if RAM was present in this region, 3.1.4 did not. So while this was not a problem in 3.1, it meant that PCMCIA was completely unavaiable if RAM blocked the PCMCIA "RAM" area.

The solution to this problem is somewhat tricky. Some PCMCIA cards can operate in multiple modes. Compact flash cards can both operate in "RAM mode" in which case the RAM overlay becomes active, removing the RAM in this region, and as an I/O device in which case the RAM remains active, and only the PCMCIA I/O region is used.

A special hand-over protocol is needed to configure such a multi-function device as I/O to avoid blocking the RAM, so what will happen in the next release is that this hand-over protocol is run in the card.resource if RAM is moved away. This does not harm the availability as an I/O device, but avoids the RAM overlay.

The drawback in this approach is that you cannot hot-plug such multi-function PCMCIA devices safely in a setup where PCMCIA blocks the RAM area - such multi-function devices configure themselves in RAM-mode upon insertion, and then kill the system by making the RAM disappear.

However, booting with such a device inserted will then work.
Old 25 May 2020, 18:12   #9
solarmon

@Thomas

Thanks for the update. I don't completely understand the technicalities, but this is what is happening for me:

If my Fast ram card is in 8MB mode and I have a PCMCIA CF device inserted, on boot and going to the quick start menu, I find that CF0 (carddisk-0) and DH0 (scsi-0) is missing, only DF0 is present. Thus, I cannot boot from HD.

If a PCMCIA CF device is not inserted during boot, the early boot menu shows both CFO and DH0, and I can boot from HD. Once booted, and the CFD/FAT95 drivers are installed, I can insert the PCMCIA CF card and I am able to use it.

However, I've had reports from other people that this behaviour does not occur for them - and they can have their PCMCI CF card inserted on boot, so I'm curios as to why it is not an issue for them, but it is for me, consistently. Is it related to the A1200 revision or the 8MB Fast ram card? I only have rev 2B A1200 and one 8MB fast ram card, so I cannot compare (although, I have not tested on the other rev 2B machines, yet).

I've tested this with a Kickstart 3.X and it has slightly differrent behaviour - if PCMCIA card is inserted on boot (with 8MB fast ram), only CF0 is missing. I believe 3.X is similar to 3.1 in that it disables the PCMCIA slot if it detects 8MB fast ram in the Zorro-II address space. I don't know if the cardres patch for 3.1 works with 3.X? I tried and couldn't get it to work.

I have tested with Kickstart 3.0 and don't have this issue. I don't have Kickstart 3.1 to test with.

Thank you.
Old 26 May 2020, 17:43   #10
Mikerochip

https://amigastore.eu/en/698-amiga-1...expansion.html That's my 8MB btw.

@Thomas, in such a case, can we specify in software that all devices, even if they operate in ram mode, are to operate in I/O only mode?

And if so, then, can the devices be forced to operate in that mode??

I have 2x PCMCIA NIC cards, a 3C589C, Unex MD011 10/100, and 3x CF adapters, all different manufacturers, and it happens with them all.

I didn't have 3.1, only 3.0 before I had 3.1.4.
Old 26 May 2020, 18:58   #11
solarmon

@Mikerochip

That 8MB card is similar to mine - I think yours is the rev 1 and mine is a rev 2. But both are based on the TF328, if that is of any significance.

My 8MB card is the one at:

https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/pro...tram-for-1200/

I suspect the issue is related to this type of memory card - as we both have this issue, but we need a list of of 24-bit Zorro-II 8MB cards and what their behaviour is with Kickstart 3.1.4.
Old 27 May 2020, 03:32   #12
gulliver
BoingBagged

Have you tried running this on your startup-sequence?

https://aminet.net/util/boot/CardReset.lha
Old 27 May 2020, 08:58   #13
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Have you tried running this on your startup-sequence?

https://aminet.net/util/boot/CardReset.lha
As stated in my post, this issue occurs during boot - if you go to the early boot menu (hold down both mouse buttons during power up) and look at the Boot Options list, the CFO (carddisk-0) and DH0 (scsi-0) devices are not listed, so are not visible or available for boot.

So this is before the startup-sequence, which would be on DH0.
Old 27 May 2020, 12:28   #14
Thomas Richter

The issue is not on "resetting the PCMCIA bus". Even if it would, I do not understand how "CardReset" would or could attempt doing so. This problem is not related to resetting PCMCIA devices. It is related to PCMCIA devices overlapping with RAM on some machines.

Whether the problem kicks in or not depends on the devices you have: It only happens if a) you have RAM in the 0x0060000 area, and b) you insert a PCMCIA device which operates in RAM mode, or at least, operates in RAM mode by default upon insertion.

What 3.1 does is that it completely disables the PCMCIA slot in case RAM is present in this area, making even I/O devices unavailable, i.e. devices that would be perfectly working in 3.1.4.

Under 3.1.4, this does not happen anymore, the PCMCIA slot remains enabled. That the system does not boot if such a conflict happens is normal and expected. Don't insert devices that may operate in RAM-mode, in particular compact flash devices. Other devices like network adapters are fine.

As far as the software is concerned: The user *cannot* control in which mode a device operates. By the time the card is inserted and the card.resource makes it accessible, it is too late and the damage is already done. Thus, there is no hot fix possible.
Compact flash devices, unfortunately, have to configure themselves in RAM mode upon insertion as the standard dictates that, so there is no fix except "don't do that, it cannot work".

A bit on the terminology: A device operating in RAM-mode is a device that can be operated by the card.device, i.e. as CF0: A device operating in I/O-mode is a device that acts like a harddisk, e.g. can be used through the compactflash.device.

However, as stated, compact flash memory cards operate in RAM (i.e. CF0 mode upon insertion, and this mode cannot work at all if you have fully populated 24-bit RAM in the machine, not possibly by any means.

The best the operating system could do is to reconfigure the card upon insertion, i.e. perform a "hand-over to I/O mode", but 3.1.4 does not do that, and 3.1. does not do that either. The latter just disables *all* cards, even cards that would be fully working as they cannot operate as RAM.
Old 27 May 2020, 14:37   #15
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post

Other devices like network adapters are fine.
@Thomas Richter,

From my experience, I get this issue with PCMCIA ethernet/wireless network adapters too.
Old 07 June 2020, 16:45   #16
rabidgerry

Hate to barge in like this, but after installing OS 3.1.4 I kinda expected to be able to plug in a pcmcia card to transfer files over straight away. This is not the case then I take it?

What do I do to get this functionality working again? I put Fat95 on and CFD and still nothing. Can someone tell me what I should be doing here?
Old 07 June 2020, 18:34   #17
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Hate to barge in like this, but after installing OS 3.1.4 I kinda expected to be able to plug in a pcmcia card to transfer files over straight away. This is not the case then I take it?

What do I do to get this functionality working again? I put Fat95 on and CFD and still nothing. Can someone tell me what I should be doing here?
Yes, it would have been nice to have native CF support in the PCMCIA slot - like CDFS support was added to scsi.device.

What Workbench 'distro' are you using? Are you using ClassicWB? I find that this messes with the the PCMCIA/CF. A stock Workbench 3.1.4 should work.

Where have you put the CFD and FAT95 drivers?

You will need to make sure the CF card is formatted as FAT32.

However, you will also need to be aware that not all CF cards will work - so you might need to try differrent ones.

See my guide for further details:

https://sites.google.com/one-n.co.uk...ct-flash-guide
Old 08 June 2020, 18:43   #18
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Yes, it would have been nice to have native CF support in the PCMCIA slot - like CDFS support was added to scsi.device.

What Workbench 'distro' are you using? Are you using ClassicWB? I find that this messes with the the PCMCIA/CF. A stock Workbench 3.1.4 should work.

Where have you put the CFD and FAT95 drivers?

You will need to make sure the CF card is formatted as FAT32.

However, you will also need to be aware that not all CF cards will work - so you might need to try differrent ones.

See my guide for further details:

https://sites.google.com/one-n.co.uk...ct-flash-guide
@solarmon

thanks for the reply. My card is fine and formatted correctly as it's been my main method of file transfer on 3.1 for ages now.

I found out what the issue was (and I have to be honest not being an expert OS 3.1.4 is proving a nightmare for me). I had to install CF0: into devs/dos drivers. Fat95 is in L and compactflash.device in devs I think.

There are other things in the CFD33.lha like pcmciaspeed and pcmciacheck but I don't know what to do with them. Doesn't say in the read me.

Next question how to get Dopus installed. I cannot for the life of me get the dam program installed on 3.1.4. Sometimes it flat out blocks me from moving files into new drawers! this -

Last edited by rabidgerry; 08 June 2020 at 19:03.
Old 08 June 2020, 19:41   #19
solarmon

Glad you got it working!

pcmciaspeed and pcmciacheck are optional - they can be copied to C:

Which version of DOpus are you trying to use?

Have you set the Max Transfer speed block size (corrected - thanks @Jope) of the partitions on the (IDE) CF card to 0x1fe00?

Last edited by solarmon; 09 June 2020 at 10:10.
Old 08 June 2020, 21:16   #20
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Glad you got it working!

pcmciaspeed and pcmciacheck are optional - they can be copied to C:

Which version of DOpus are you trying to use?

Have you set the Max Transfer speed of the partitions on the (IDE) CF card to 0x1fe00?
Don't laugh , I did none of that! I also only made two partitions, one for boot, the rest storage. I followed this video and the guy did none of that max transfer stuff. I did all that for my CF 3.1 installs.

[ Show youtube player ]

Oh I was just trying to get Dopus4 on there. Sometimes it would not let me drag and drop files to where they needed to be in. When I ran Dopus it was I needed Dopus library 12 installed which of course was installed.

Should I install these? pcmciaspeed and pcmciacheck? Just inside C:?