English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 May 2018, 18:57   #141
Gorf

Well - it shows that the install process is still far from self explanatory.
Old 24 May 2018, 19:01   #142
AMIGASYSTEM

If you have the hardware supported, the installation is very simple, two clicks are enough, one to initialize and the other to install.
When something is unlikable it's easy to discredit, nobody is obliged to install AROS, but at least we respect those who work for free for the community; who installs AROS must follow the guidelines and do not make it his own and then blame AROS.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 May 2018 at 19:09.
Old 25 May 2018, 00:35   #143
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You probably have not watched any of the videos I've attached. HDToolBox on AROS you do not have to use it è a completely different program from the version OS3 and difficult to use. To initialize a hard disk and partition use InstallAROS.

This is my test on Real PC on HDToolBox that shows its complexity
[ Show youtube player ]

If you do not use a disk or partition RAW (anything RDB/MBR) and do not use InstallAROS to initialize and partition, you will never be able to install AROS, look at my attached videos.

N.B: anything RDB/MBR it is important, "Wipe Disk" it will automatically destroy the first partition, otherwise it will only use the available RAW partition and will not touch other installed partitions
InstallAROS would seem to partition correctly, I would wipe disk, reboot (again in safe mode), rerun InstallAROS, then soon thereafter get SFS errors during installation.

I was trying to set partitions manually with HDToolBox prior to realizing that when I had changed a bios option dealing with the IDE controllers, the hard disk suddenly moved from unit #6 to unit #4. Once I caught that, well, HDToolBox still didn't work, but InstallAROS recognized the drive. All part of trying to get the thing to work.

On the Q6600 machine, I *was* able to *once* successfully install the *barebones* installation by booting in safe mode, installing to an SATA drive, and partitioning it with a single 2GB SFS partition. This was not meant to be, however, because soon after rebooting the machine post installation I again received SFS errors. (Also, the base installation doesn't really have a lot of things to try out).

Quote:
When something is unlikable it's easy to discredit, nobody is obliged to install AROS, but at least we respect those who work for free for the community; who installs AROS must follow the guidelines and do not make it his own and then blame AROS.
I'm going to take offense to the boldfaced text. I read through the gigantic pdf installation file several times this weekend. I followed their directions. Nowhere did it mention where to get the hard disk unit #; I figured that out on my own. I understand that the SFS errors may not be due to SFS bugs; the authors come out and say that the ata.device is a work in progress, and in fact give two versions; this could be the source of all the problems. I just wasn't able to get it to work on my machines.

Earlier in this thread, you said
Quote:
For AROS newbies it must also be said that AROS with Linux has nothing in common and that the best solution is to install AROS in a native way which is easier than one can imagine
And I just posted my experiences about trying to install it native this weekend. Neither the ata.device, Alt/ata.device, or ahci.device options fixed SFS and FFS having fits and throwing up error messages. Both machines are rock solid on Windows. I *do not* keep flaky hardware hanging around, it goes into the trash.

It isn't that I'm flaming the AROS team. I truly hope that they can fix the issues. But the problems prevent me from having a usable machine, and as far as I can tell, are exclusively driver issues. The DH0: partition clearly is mounting, it is showing files, but barfs after a while.

<EDIT:> HDtoolbox on my machine DID NOT behave the same as on yours. Clicking on the ATA.DEVICE (which showed one device) would not un-ghost the create partition button. I can guess that might be that my hard disk is not unit #0, but I didn't see an option to direct HDToolBox to a particular unit number.
Regardless, I doubt that partitioning the disk with HDToolBox instead of InstallAROS would have fixed the problem.

Last edited by Shadowfire; 25 May 2018 at 01:12.
Old 25 May 2018, 07:42   #144
AMIGASYSTEM

Excuse me for the strong message, but it is often the case to blame AROS for mistakes made by the user.

Why not try installing IcarOS on a USB External Hard Disk? you can also install the external hard disk on a virtual machine, with the virtual machine you can use the image ISO for installation

[ Show youtube player ]

Regarding the error, are you sure that the IcarOS CD/DVD does not have some reading errors?

The new version of Icaros Icaros Desktop v2.2.2 is now available for everyone:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83194

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 May 2018 at 07:56.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:13   #145
towo2099

Even with the new Icaros 2.2.2 i can't use it on the same hardware, which is able to run Amithlon. The system can only be used in Vesa mode, which is a no go nowdays.
That old system is an Athlon X2, MSI K8N Mainboard with VIA chipset. Graphics card is a Nvidia FX5200, which is stated as compatible with AROS. But sadly, booting without forcing to Vesa ends in a black screen with a red mousepointer. AROS would be a nice system for older hardware, if it would work.
On my main desktop i have a linux hosted install of 2.2.2, but it is unusuable since it is totaly unstable and crash friendly. Starting the ancient OWB ends in havy chrash. So i would say, AROS is nothing for all day use.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:02   #146
Dunny

I gave up on AROS after it totally failed on multiple PCs both desktop and laptops, so went with Amilator - and it runs flawlessly on all of them, so I have an authentic Amiga on powerful hardware with the bonus that I don't have to recompile any software that I want to run on it
Old 25 May 2018, 12:35   #147
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towo2099 View Post
On my main desktop i have a linux hosted install of 2.2.2, but it is unusuable since it is totaly unstable and crash friendly. Starting the ancient OWB ends in havy chrash. So i would say, AROS is nothing for all day use.

Of course, having the compatible Video Card is the best because you can also start 3D games, but AROS it can also be used in VESA mode and use any application, browse the internet to see HQ videos.
I have installed icarOS 2.2.2 on a virtual machine now and as you can see from the screenshot everything works well with VESA.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 October 2018 at 23:08.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:42   #148
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I gave up on AROS after it totally failed on multiple PCs both desktop and laptops, so went with Amilator - and it runs flawlessly on all of them, so I have an authentic Amiga on powerful hardware with the bonus that I don't have to recompile any software that I want to run on it
Also I have AFA OS on Amilator but it's not the same thing, AROS it is a modern system growing and does not need Linux to start as Amilator.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 May 2018, 20:15   #149
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Today I tried another one laptop "CDC" (DualBoot AROS/Windows) Where all the hardware was supported (Audio, Video, LAN) look at screenshots

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 October 2018 at 23:08.
Old 25 May 2018, 20:32   #150
Ian
Global Moderator

Whats the Amiga emulation like.

is it seemless, ie I click on an ADF and it loads it?

I don't know though maybe I am expecting to much for that to happen.
Old 26 May 2018, 22:12   #151
Shadowfire

Quote:
Regarding the error, are you sure that the IcarOS CD/DVD does not have some reading errors?
Since when does the DVD use SFS?
Old 27 May 2018, 00:00   #152
AMIGASYSTEM

I was referring to writing on the hard disk
Old 30 May 2018, 00:12   #153
Shadowfire

So, read errors on the DVD could result in SFS file system errors on the hard disk??? Not a "problem reading CD0:*" error?
(*) or whatever device name the CDROM filesystem is mounted on. the dvd is using the cdromfilesystem handler, I'm assuming, not SFS, since I can read it on my Windows PC natively
Old 30 May 2018, 00:20   #154
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
So, read errors on the DVD could result in SFS file system errors on the hard disk???
No, maybe my translation is taking you on the wrong path, I think I know all the existing filesystems well.

SFS corruption can be caused by a faulty hard disk or an unsupported size, Defective CD-DVD, on the other hand, may result in data not being copied or copying corrupt data. I have never encountered problems on the SFS despite having installed AROS hundreds of times on many PCs
Old 30 May 2018, 00:28   #155
AMIGASYSTEM

Also the NetBook Dell Inspiron Mini 9 has the hardware supported by AROS, Audio, Video, only the Wireless Network Card it seems not to be supported (RTL8102E)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 July 2022 at 18:46.
Old 30 May 2018, 15:36   #156
AMIGASYSTEM

In addition to my little NetBook Dell Inspiron Mini 9 even my little one ACER Aspire One ZG5 totally supports for AROS, Video Card is supported, Sound Card supported, Wireless Card and LAN Network Card Supported. Aspire One ZG5 it is only a few Euros on the net si ha and you will get it NetBook Native AROS. HERE find confirmation of the full compatibility of Aspire One ZG5 with the AROS.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 July 2022 at 18:46.
Old 30 May 2018, 18:08   #157
hth313

I have an HP Mini 110 netbook, does that work with AROS?
Old 30 May 2018, 18:24   #158
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
I have an HP Mini 110 netbook, does that work with AROS?
Verify well compatibility HERE

From what i read HP Mini 110 Netbook is supported Intel GMA 950, HD Audio, USB 2.0, HD SATA (IDE mode), not supported but to be verified Eternet "Atheros" and Wireless "Broadcom", for connection you could use a USB Internet Key supported or the mobile phone via USB (never tested), for more information on Driver ask HERE
Old 30 May 2018, 19:27   #159
hth313

Quote:
Verify well compatibility HERE

From what i read HP Mini 110 Netbook is supported Intel GMA 950, HD Audio, USB 2.0, HD SATA (IDE mode), not supported but to be verified Eternet "Atheros" and Wireless "Broadcom", for connection you could use a USB Internet Key supported or the mobile phone via USB (never tested), for more information on Driver ask HERE
So it should work, but I may likely to without any network connection, is that the expectation? I have no USB/internet or such, I would really like to use either built-in ethernet or wifi.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:43   #160
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
but I may likely to without any network connection, is that the expectation?
Yes, however, try asking about aros-exec.org, it may be that someone has made compatible your network cards !