English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 14 December 2012, 01:22   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

FS-UAE Save States

Is there a way to specify the default save state to load on starting FS-UAE? (in Default.fs-uae)

Even better, it would be great if saved state files could be "opened with" FS-UAE - doubleclick on a state file instead of starting FS-UAE, opening menu, then loading state.
Old 17 December 2012, 23:20   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

There's one way with recent development versions. From 2.1.3 and onwards, "autoload saved state if "Saved State.uss" exists in state dir". So you can take an existing save state and rename to this, and it will be automatically loaded when you start FS-UAE.

There's no command line argument or option yet to load a state on command. This is something which could be added (an option to load a numbered state, that is).

Simply opening a state file will not work as it is currently, because the state file does not contain enough information. The config needs to be specified as well.
Old 18 December 2012, 17:54   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
There's one way with recent development versions. From 2.1.3 and onwards, "autoload saved state if "Saved State.uss" exists in state dir". So you can take an existing save state and rename to this, and it will be automatically loaded when you start FS-UAE.
That's good enough. I mainly wanted it to get right to Workbench with filemanager and a couple programs already loaded, so I can skip the bootup.

I noticed a weird little problem though. Half my desktop icons don't work - returning an error "Unable to open your tool ..." or "object not found". I've been trying to see why some work and some don't, but I can't see the pattern yet. This is only when loading a saved state. This problem doesn't happen when booting normally. I tried saving & loading a bunch of different states, but they all have this problem.

Last edited by mr_a500; 18 December 2012 at 18:03.
Old 22 January 2013, 18:13   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Now whenever I load a saved Workbench, it is completely unresponsive (frozen pointer). I can save a game run with WHDload - and if I exit from the game to Workbench, the pointer is not frozen - but attempting to open the programs I previously mentioned as being (strangely) "not found" will crash FS-UAE.

I guess save state was only meant for games and not with Workbench?
Old 22 January 2013, 20:24   #5
nexusle
Banned

*** Deleted ***

Last edited by nexusle; 25 March 2013 at 15:19.
Old 22 January 2013, 20:40   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

One issue with save states is that the state is not *complete*. For example, the hard drives themselves are not stored in the save states, but the Amiga memory is. This can potentially create many problems.

An example: Amiga software may assume that a file is stored on the HD (since is just saved it), but if the state is saved, the file is later removed from the HD, and the state is restored, the program may hang/crash/fail because the file is not stored as expected.

This was just a trivial example, there can probably be more intricate problems as well. Using .hdf files with save states may be even more problematic, due to file system cache being saved in the save state, while the actual file system is not..

So no, save states are not for games as such, but save states are really not suited for long-term storage -even for games. I would suggest using regular saving features where available.
Old 22 January 2013, 20:55   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
So no, save states are not for games as such, but save states are really not suited for long-term storage -even for games. I would suggest using regular saving features where available.
I just thought it was weird that Workbench freezes when saved, but doesn't when you save a WHDload game running from Workbench. You can then exit that WHDload game to Workbench. (that was the only way I found to save my running Solitaire game - to run another game on top, then exit out )
Old 28 January 2013, 23:39   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

It is possible your issues here are related to the problem I have described in this post:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=864641
Old 07 December 2013, 13:05   #9
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Hi, has a command line been implemented for Save States since this last discussion? The work-around (Saved State.uss) discussed above works, but it would be nice if there was also a command line.

Last edited by twenty90seven; 07 December 2013 at 13:21.
Old 08 December 2013, 00:21   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I'll see if i can implement a load-state=x (x=1..9) option for the next development release!