English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 November 2011, 11:48   #1
LaurenceV

Mouse jumps around chaotically

Hi,

I'm trying to get a basic Amiga going, but the mouse is driving me crazy: it jumps around, sometimes it tracks my hand's movement a bit, then jumps off to another part of the screen etc..

I run WinUAE inside Windows XP running in VirtuaBox on a Mac... personally, I don't think that emulated Windows is to blame, because I've installed several other Windows programs, and the mouse always behaves perfectly.

Any ideas to try? Without the mouse, the whole emulator misses its mark. :-(

Thanks!

Laurence

Old 14 November 2011, 12:05   #2
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

I think this is a Virtual Pc Problem and not a WinUAE Problem.
Old 14 November 2011, 12:50   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Problem is relative vs absolute mouse mode difference. Virtual machine may have switch that disables transparent mouse movement between host and virtual machine. (=absolute mode)

Another solution is to enable virtual mouse driver in WinUAE (GamePorts panel) but note that this does not work with most games.
Old 14 November 2011, 18:22   #4
fishyfish
Banned

Ive noticed this too, and Im not running inside a virtual machine. Every so often the mouse just goes out of control and jumps around erratically and the user loses all control of it. Even resetting the "amiga" doesnt resolve the problem and I have to shut down Winuae and restart it to fix the problem.
Old 14 November 2011, 20:02   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Ive noticed this too, and Im not running inside a virtual machine. Every so often the mouse just goes out of control and jumps around erratically and the user loses all control of it. Even resetting the "amiga" doesnt resolve the problem and I have to shut down Winuae and restart it to fix the problem.
No, you haven't noticed it. This is something totally different that no one has reported previously which most likely makes it hardware or driver specific.

OP's problem is known and has nothing to do with emulation, in (windowed) virtual machines with "transparent" mouse support and also when using remote desktop mouse works like a graphics tablet, it reports absolute coordinates, not relative movements (difference from last position)
Old 14 November 2011, 21:10   #6
LaurenceV

Thanks guys.. I enabled the virtual mouse support in Game Panel, and that fixed it. I can now play again with the program I wrote 17 years ago (MegaJitter)..

The mouse still doesn't behave 100% as it should when at the edge of the screen, but it's usable.

Thanks again for the quick tips.

Old 14 November 2011, 23:48   #7
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
No, you haven't noticed it. This is something totally different that no one has reported previously which most likely makes it hardware or driver specific.

OP's problem is known and has nothing to do with emulation, in (windowed) virtual machines with "transparent" mouse support and also when using remote desktop mouse works like a graphics tablet, it reports absolute coordinates, not relative movements (difference from last position)

Ok then, different problem. I saw the mention of mouse strange mouse movement and jumped the gun a little. Whatever the problem Ive having is though has only occured recently (2.3.x)
Old 15 November 2011, 00:22   #8
ancalimon
Supernormal

I had that behavior too when I logged on the to my pc from my IPhone through vnc and run WinUAE.
Old 15 November 2011, 08:20   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Ok then, different problem. I saw the mention of mouse strange mouse movement and jumped the gun a little. Whatever the problem Ive having is though has only occured recently (2.3.x)
Could you be more specific? Does it happen randomly? How long until it starts? What is last working version? (preferably last working beta if it isn't too annoying to test)

If you move the mouse very very slowly, does the amiga mouse pointer move to same direction with quite fast speed or does it move to random directions?

Attach also winuaebootlog.txt, thanks.
Old 15 November 2011, 09:05   #10
Sigma

If I recall correctly, VirtualBox uses a graphics driver tablet for mouse movement if you install the additions.
Previously I think WinUAE had a "mousehack mouse" to support tablets? I couldn't find it in 2.3.3.

Edit: From VirtualBox's help file: "As of version 3.2, VirtualBox provides a virtual USB tablet device to new virtual machines through which mouse events are communicated to the guest operating system."

Last edited by Sigma; 15 November 2011 at 09:10. Reason: Checked information
Old 15 November 2011, 10:25   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Virtual mouse driver" is new and improved built-in mousehack mode, it also includes tablet emulation etc..
Old 18 November 2011, 14:19   #12
Leffmann

I'm using VirtualBox as well, and the only way to get all games and apps that use the mouse to work correctly is to disable VirtualBox's mouse integration.