Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 May 2022, 09:50   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayenkai View Post
Hmmm.
Nobody called it that.
I must say, it is impressive how dedicated you are to living in the 80's,90's. But times do change.
Old 04 May 2022, 19:21   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I've been giving my list of games a whirl and so far all but one work out of the box - Puzznic is the only one that fails to load with default settings, I need to fiddle with the export mode settings. (edit: it was as simple as setting the memory to 1mb chip).

It did surprise me for how many games it is required to map keyboard buttons to joypad buttons to play them properly, I did not remember needing the keyboard that often

Also: apparently all of these games are ten times harder on the mini, I can't even get past the first level

Last edited by gimbal; 05 May 2022 at 13:49.
Old 05 May 2022, 20:41   #23
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Also: apparently all of these games are ten times harder on the mini, I can't even get past the first level

Most Amiga games are IMO best played with a joystick.

BTW, good to know your games are running. The last day or so I tried Watchtower (A1200), Tearaway Thomas (A500), Sword (A500), Saint Dragon (A500), Flying Shark (A500), Dragonstone (A500), Klax (A500) and Tubular Worlds (A1200) on my mini and they work very well.

Some really good games! Now I am going to test Sir Fred (A500).
Old 05 May 2022, 20:51   #24
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:

Signs of getting old...
Old 05 May 2022, 22:17   #25
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
OK, I got the GamePad to work again in the 2 player mode...

As for The Settlers, how I got the GamePad to work needs some more tinkering... When I get it up and running I will create a savestate just in case!.
Yeah, I just tested Lemmings and got it to work with the gamepad as the second controller. I only managed it on AMiniMiga though as I got nowhere with the standard carousel setup :-(

Off to test The Settlers next! It's a shame a real mouse doesn't work for player 2!
Old 06 May 2022, 09:26   #26
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yeah, I just tested Lemmings and got it to work with the gamepad as the second controller. I only managed it on AMiniMiga though as I got nowhere with the standard carousel setup :-(

Off to test The Settlers next! It's a shame a real mouse doesn't work for player 2!
Try deleting the UAE config file. For some reason once it's created it doesn't work no more and you can tinker all you want... Now it just works for me. :-)

As for The Settlers the last time I tried, I set the A500 mini to use 2 mice and then suddenly I could move the pointer again using the GamePad. But both splitscreens stopped scrolling using either mouse or GamePad. I will try again later...

Last edited by MikeB; 06 May 2022 at 09:36.
Old 06 May 2022, 09:33   #27
MikeB

Quote:
Now I am going to test Sir Fred (A500).
Now that one is running way too fast by default. I will soon try gimbal's suggested workaround.

Prophecy I - The Viking Child (A500) also ran too fast, but with the latest WHDLoad database it runs fine. Only you need to configure button assigns in this fine game (great in-game music BTW).
Old 06 May 2022, 11:44   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Signs of getting old...
Yup :/ Although the controller does interfere a bit. I was playing Dynamite Dux for example and I had pretty big trouble aiming my shots, that was far easier with a proper stick in hand. So I may invest in a competition pro...
Old 06 May 2022, 22:23   #29
MikeB

Quote:
So I may invest in a competition pro...

I recently bought a Speedlink USB Competition Pro. Although I am content with it and have been playing Superfrog a lot with it I cannot recommend it to someone (especially right handed) at this point.

Like with C64 mini I think, you may want to wait and see if a future firmware update fixes current issues. As it is now AFAIK only the fire button on the right side is supported. Making matters worse when you hold the stick with your right hand, your left thumb will go over the home button to reach the fire button. It happened a couple of times that I accidentally pressed it while playing Superfrog (takes you out of the game to the carousel)!

At this point it seems "The Joystick" for the c64 mini and wired/wireless PS4 controllers are better supported:

How to set up TheJoystick on The A500 Mini - Quick Guide

[ Show youtube player ]

Amiga 500 Mini: I got a PS4 Controller WORKING!

[ Show youtube player ]

How To Play Games Using The DualShock 4 Controller On The A500 Mini Console (100%Works)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 May 2022, 00:08   #30
BigD

Quote:
Try deleting the UAE config file. For some reason once it's created it doesn't work no more and you can tinker all you want... Now it just works for me. :-)

As for The Settlers the last time I tried, I set the A500 mini to use 2 mice and then suddenly I could move the pointer again using the GamePad. But both splitscreens stopped scrolling using either mouse or GamePad. I will try again later...

Thanks for motivating me to persevere with this. As you promised, after deleting the config file I can play 2-player Lemmings on the carousel (Player One - Mouse control vs Player Two - Gamepad control). Nice!

I also found that The Settlers 2-player does work with my AMiniMiga 2-player mouse config just great (as did Lemmings the night before - no faff). If you ever stumble across the settings to get this to work on the carousel then let me know, but it's great to play these rare game modes in one shape or form!

My 5 year old son is doing a fine job of running a better economy on The Settlers using the gamepad than I managed with the mouse! It helped that he found gold but he manufactured weapons before me despite not expanding as quickly! Clever boy!
Old 07 May 2022, 18:37   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I recently bought a Speedlink USB Competition Pro. Although I am content with it and have been playing Superfrog a lot with it I cannot recommend it to someone (especially right handed) at this point.
Well I am left-handed, but yeah I'm waiting for the firmware update
Old 08 May 2022, 12:24   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Now that one is running way too fast by default. I will soon try gimbal's suggested workaround.
Baby Jo was running too fast for me (quite literal, the character running speed was way too fast )... but unfortunately the workaround did not help there.
Old 10 May 2022, 19:56   #33
MikeB

Retro Games on facebook:

Regarding incoming firmware update

6 mei om 15:55
Just a little end of week update to keep you all ‘in the loop’!
We are in the final testing of the first firmware update #THEA500 mini and as soon as we can, will be releasing it! Obvious we must be sure nothing we are doing in any firmware update breaks something it shouldn’t, hence we have to be cautious before we do release updates!
We are aiming to cover as many things as practical within it you guys have been asking for, such as; more joystick compatibility, a few minor bugs/gripes sorted, plus more ways to access external #retrogaming files…
So, hold that thought, we will do it as soon as we can, and release it as soon as we can!
Thanks to all of you as ever for your ongoing support of what we do!
Old 10 May 2022, 20:29   #34
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
I recently bought a Speedlink USB Competition Pro.
The Competition Pro USB needs an exchange on micro switches or you won't have much fun with it on the long term. When you play a lot, they usually don't live longer than half a year before the original micro switches get burnt due to the high current of the usb port in comparison to real Amiga. Read posts 18 to 20 in this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68938
Old 11 May 2022, 22:11   #35
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I also found that The Settlers 2-player does work with my AMiniMiga 2-player mouse config just great (as did Lemmings the night before - no faff). If you ever stumble across the settings to get this to work on the carousel then let me know, but it's great to play these rare game modes in one shape or form!

I got it to work again for 2 player setup (mouse/GamePad)!

I deleted the game and its UAE config file, redownloaded the game and set it to 2 mice while in-game and voila it works again!

I created a savestate just in case, for if it suddenly doesn't work nomore with an UAE config file like was the case with Lemmings.
Old 12 May 2022, 01:53   #36
BigD

Quote:

I deleted the game and its UAE config file, redownloaded the game and set it to 2 mice while in-game and voila it works again!

I created a savestate just in case, for if it suddenly doesn't work nomore with an UAE config file like was the case with Lemmings.

Crazy! Could you forward me the savestate file please? I tried deleting the config file and it didn't work! I had a great game on the AMiniMiga distribution with my son on Saturday so I know that it is possible. The settings I used on the distro are as follows and that allows Player One - Mouse and Player Two - Gamepad:

joyport0_mode=mousenowheel
joyport0_name=MOUSE0
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_up=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_down=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_left=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_right=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_north=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_west=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_south=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_east=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_left_shoulder=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_right_shoulder=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_none_start=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_up=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_down=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_left=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_right=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_north=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_west=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_south=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_east=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_left_shoulder=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_right_shoulder=
joyport0_amiberry_custom_hotkey_start=
joyport0_hotbutton=
;
joyport1_mode=mousenowheel
joyport1_name=MOUSE1
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_up=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_down=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_left=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_dpad_right=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_north=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_west=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_south=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_east=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_left_shoulder=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_right_shoulder=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_none_start=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_up=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_down=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_left=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_dpad_right=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_north=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_west=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_south=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_east=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_left_shoulder=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_right_shoulder=
joyport1_amiberry_custom_hotkey_start=
joyport1_hotbutton=
Old 12 May 2022, 01:55   #37
BigD

I'm also loving all the CD32 action on THEA500 Mini at the moment! Sideload these babies!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by BigD; 12 May 2022 at 02:10.
Old 12 May 2022, 02:55   #38
BigD

Quote:

Yes!!! Got it and save state in the bag and soon to be backed up too on the PC! You are right that the process is:

1) Delete all remnants of the game from your USB stick.
2) Re-copy the LHA of the game.
3) Start the game with a mouse and gamepad connected.
4) Select a two player game.
5) Notice Player Two's gamepad controls are producing twitching but not fluid movement.
6) Press Home button and then Menu and change setting to two mice.
7) Exit with blue button twice.
8) Press Home and re-enter the 2-player game.
9) Player Two works on the gamepad!
10) Please save a save state and lock it!
11) Preferably back up your .A500 states folder to a PC.
12) Enjoy a great 2 player game!
Old 12 May 2022, 11:01   #39
MikeB

Eek

@ BigD

It seems Team Pandory / EmuChicken has 2 player Lemmings and Settlers working with 2 mice!

"Make your Amiga 500 Mini infinitely better with the A500mini Pandory mod! Download, then pop it on a usb stick. Easy!"

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 May 2022, 12:30   #40
BigD

Quote:
@ BigD

It seems Team Pandory / EmuChicken has 2 player Lemmings and Settlers working with 2 mice!

"Make your Amiga 500 Mini infinitely better with the A500mini Pandory mod! Download, then pop it on a usb stick. Easy!"

[ Show youtube player ]

Indeed!!! But it can't be that easy surely? Is there a guide?