Old 06 January 2024, 19:27   #261
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Gameplay somewhat true to the arcade...
Old 06 January 2024, 21:08   #262
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
Can someone mention (in a bullet list) whats new in this remake compared to the original Final Fight i played on the Amiga years ago?
Despite Richard Aplin made technical miraccle (that run on only 512kb), with large characters, and smooth scrolling, the gameplay was simply horrible, and felt nothing like the arcade.
I'd rather have smaller screen and characters, but much closer gameplay, then that official port.
Sad thing is that even Richard's port could be probably modified, to resemble much more arcade feel, but Richard himself was not very much into this game, and he had insanilly short deadline of 6 months.

This port trying to fix most important aspect - gameplay, and I can tell, by only watching that clip that gameplay is now spot on.
There is probably lots of other improvements, but Brick Nash can elaborate in more details if he wants.
Old 07 January 2024, 06:46   #263
samo79

The parallax effect seems missing, pity :-/
Old 07 January 2024, 10:47   #264
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Don't know if anyone can access this since Twitter/X is a dick now, but I posted a small, crude playthrough the other day.

There's issues with boundaries and a few other stuff, but they'll be sorted. Obviously some sacrifices have had to be made overall, but it plays ok.

(The A600 is below the Gotek)

https://twitter.com/Brick_Nash/statu...84252554137821
Wow! I could have mistaken myself for thinking you were playing an arcade emulation there!

Stock A600 with 1MB expansion seems a very low ask for such a smooth port. Well done!

Can't wait to see this and play it on my 1084s CRT!
Old 07 January 2024, 23:28   #265
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo79 View Post
The parallax effect seems missing, pity :-/
Pity it didn't use 256 colors, and have much larger characters, and more enemies on screen then arcade.
Pity it doesn't run on first A1000 with 256 kb chip Ram.
Pity the first Amiga in 1985 wasn't twice powerful as Sharp 68k, and cost as a bag of snacks.

...on a serious note...

Paralax is just additional layer of "make up", that has nothing to do with gameplay, and it's pretty damn expensive, especially in the complex games like this.
Only if you build a game around Amiga chipset (like Metro Siege does), you can have a luxury to add it.
In a port like this, perhaps, even Aga would struggle with it.
Old 07 January 2024, 23:34   #266
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Pity it didn't use 256 colors, and have much larger characters, and more enemies on screen then arcade.
Pity it doesn't run on first A1000 with 256 kb chip Ram.
Pity the first Amiga in 1985 wasn't twice powerful as Sharp 68k, and cost as a bag of snacks.

...on a serious note...

Paralax is just additional layer of "make up", that has nothing to do with gameplay, and it's pretty damn expensive, especially in the complex games like this.
Only if you build a game around Amiga chipset (like Metro Siege does), you can have a luxury to add it.
In a port like this, perhaps, even Aga would struggle with it.
Leathered (RIP)'s version used repeating sprites to make the parallax layer at little cost. Was AGA but a parallax layer of sorts could be done with OCS sprites too.

But I do agree in getting it working correctly and only add fluff once that's sorted.
Old 07 January 2024, 23:56   #267
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
Leathered (RIP)'s version used repeating sprites to make the parallax layer at little cost. Was AGA but a parallax layer of sorts could be done with OCS sprites too.

But I do agree in getting it working correctly and only add fluff once that's sorted.
Thanks for that info bro.
Never played demo from our, too early lost Amiga brother Letherhead, but I know the story about it, and I've seen it on Youtube, and it relly looks great.

However, if I was to develop this game, and it was finished, and if I was looking a ways to enchance it, rather then adding paralax, I'd look if I can possibly fit in 1MB Chip Ram, because that would include much more stock Amiga configurations...

... or even, exapanded Amigas...
Imagine this bro...I have A500 with Aca 500+ (so, 1MB Chip, 7 Fast Ram, plus 68000 proc that can run up to 42Mhz), and I still can't play it.

So...I am all into FF conversions to be either on the very low side (lowest possible Amiga), or very high (Aga, 030, and tons of Ram).
On the first one, I wouldnt expect paralax in any case.
Old 08 January 2024, 13:23   #268
Retro1234
Phone Homer

How did Richard Aplin get so many large Bobs on screen? and if I'm correct the large objects/characters were actually made up of smaller Bobs, so lots of Bobs on screen.

I know there are slow downs but it's still impressive. Nothing really comes close. A 15% reduction in characters size probably would of helped.

Last edited by Retro1234; 08 January 2024 at 13:28.
Old 08 January 2024, 22:56   #269
oscar_ates

Too bad Leathered passed away so young. I read the sad story in the thread. What happened to that AGA FF port after? Did anybody take it further?
Old 09 January 2024, 00:14   #270
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Too bad Leathered passed away so young. I read the sad story in the thread. What happened to that AGA FF port after? Did anybody take it further?
I stopped helping on the graphics extraction after his death.

For Final Fight AGA, i have crawled inside the arcade game program to get EACH sprite frames metadata for some sprites (Haggar, Edi.e, Damnd).

Damnd was 475kb in IFF with something like 45-60 frames for example.

Haggar use between 60-80 frames.
Old 10 January 2024, 14:37   #271
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Probably be a good idea/respectful to give him a mention in any future ports.
Old 10 January 2024, 23:56   #272
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Despite Richard Aplin made technical miraccle (that run on only 512kb), with large characters, and smooth scrolling, the gameplay was simply horrible, and felt nothing like the arcade.
I'd rather have smaller screen and characters, but much closer gameplay, then that official port.
Sad thing is that even Richard's port could be probably modified, to resemble much more arcade feel, but Richard himself was not very much into this game, and he had insanilly short deadline of 6 months.

This port trying to fix most important aspect - gameplay, and I can tell, by only watching that clip that gameplay is now spot on.
There is probably lots of other improvements, but Brick Nash can elaborate in more details if he wants.
Yes, you are right, smaller graphics are better for the poor OCS Amigas, because SNES and MegaCD versions got smaller graphics on Final Fight and Street Fighter 2. We have arcade size graphics on the official conversions, runs poorly slow and got less animation. I hope we could have a nice Final Fight conversion some day.
Old 11 January 2024, 08:30   #273
jotd
This cat is no more

Even SNES legendary version of Street Fighter 2 features smaller graphics, but noone seemed to care as the original sprites were huge, so reducing them a littlle kept the visuals good enough, and the animation did the rest.
Old 11 January 2024, 14:20   #274
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
We have arcade size graphics on the official conversions...
Are you sure about this?
Characters was pretty large in Amiga official port, but not nearly big as the arcade.
Old 11 January 2024, 14:25   #275
derSammler

He is right.

Amiga:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/5088/...s/amiga/55628/

Arcade:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/5088/...arcade/652689/

Looks like the same size to me.
Old 11 January 2024, 21:37   #276
redblade
Zone Friend

Final Fight/SF2 sprites are massive and screen resolution is 384x224, that is massive.
Old 11 January 2024, 21:49   #277
Toni Galvez

Instead of using the SNES sprites, they used the arcade ones (I understand that Capcom did not share the SNES graphics to Creative Materials) because resizing the graphics needed an extra job that they probably don't had the time and budget to do it.

Final Fight and Street Fighter II could work much better with SNES graphics.

So, I suggest to use SNES sprites for any of the remakes for OCS machines.
Old 11 January 2024, 22:00   #278
Cris1997XX

You also need to sacrifice some animation frames, you know that right?
Old 26 January 2024, 22:31   #279
Brick Nash
Prototron

So, I think I've taken this project as far as I'd like, and it's time to set it loose. I'll maybe come back at some point in the future and do one revision to tidy up some under the hood stuff I wasn't happy with, but for now I'm done. As a learning project it's been equal parts fun and frustrating, but after three years I need to step away.

There's a few things I'd like folk to consider before downloading though (most of these are in the included README file, but are worth repeating anyway):

• Don't expect the arcade game. It's still a 7MHz Amiga version, and some sacrifices have had to be made. Nothing was forgotten, and if something isn't there, it was likely removed to make room for a more essential feature.

• There's some slowdown in 2-Player mode, but I think that's just unavoidable. The 2-Player mode as a whole is largely untested, so it'll likely be a better 1-Player experience.

• There's an issue with disk drive recognition, so the menu on boot is just temporary

• The game will need at least an additional 512KB of Slow or Fast RAM to run in 2-Player mode (it uses the OS, so the libraries need somewhere to live)

• There will inevitably be some bugs that have slipped through the net. I don't think there's anything game-breaking in there, but glitching and the like may occasionally happen.

I may do a "Making of" video depending on how well it's received , but if folk think it's crap (which is fine) then I'll just let it be.

The two disk images can be downloaded from my Google Drive, and you can get the link from either clicking below or from the description of the YouTube playthroughs if you want to watch them first.

I'm off for a very long sleep. Enjoy!

Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

YouTube Playthroughs:

https://www.youtube.com/@prototrongames/videos
Old 26 January 2024, 22:42   #280
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If you did left the music changeable from users would love to see someone use my two channel mods, that are sitting unused due to the port were intended to be used canceled -_-