English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 October 2023, 23:53   #1781
btp

Great to see that the team is working on new features, improvements and fixes!
Only respect for your continuous efforts, dedication and commitment!
Old 24 October 2023, 01:45   #1782
Pyromania

Congrats on progress with AmigaOS 3.3, I will buy.
Old 24 October 2023, 08:38   #1783
kamelito
Zone Friend

Nice, I’ll buy it too, sis you talk to Bryce Nesbitt to implement its memory protection mechanism?
Did you get access to latest code developed by CBM but not released?
Old 24 October 2023, 09:41   #1784
Etze
A3000-Fan

Are the Shell-Tabs and floating/sticky menus optional? I’m pretty sure that I won’t use/need/want them.
Old 24 October 2023, 10:18   #1785
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Camillia,
I wonder if an optional syntax highlighting could be implemented a bit like promotion software.
You choose a task/process and select a language and every time the program print a word then the color is changed if it is a keyword of the language etc. This will add overhead for sure and need to have a buffer. Just a silly idea…
Old 24 October 2023, 10:35   #1786
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
Are the Shell-Tabs and floating/sticky menus optional? I’m pretty sure that I won’t use/need/want them.
Yes they are optional. I am pretty sure I wont be using them either
Old 24 October 2023, 10:45   #1787
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Camillia,
I wonder if an optional syntax highlighting could be implemented a bit like promotion software.
You choose a task/process and select a language and every time the program print a word then the color is changed if it is a keyword of the language etc. This will add overhead for sure and need to have a buffer. Just a silly idea…
In the shell you mean. Yes that could be done. But why? as you say it is a really silly idea. If you mean in the windows of programs then maybe there as well, but it would be quite complicated, and certainly not worth us delaying 3.3 several months more than the 4 years we are already looking at.
Old 24 October 2023, 10:52   #1788
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
  1. New Locale Preferences (plan to redo more preferences)
Would re-doing the prefs be a moment to reconsider storing the configured prefs in some editable serialization format? (toml/yaml/json/ini-file/whatever) instead of binary?

This would make scripted configuration changes and third party preference editing significantly simpler.
Old 24 October 2023, 11:03   #1789
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

In general:

We welcome all your ideas and we have also looked at that other thread here on eab.

But please remember that every new idea will mean several months of development and testing. We cannot and will not just do everything. We will never get a release out that way. We are already loooking at 2 years minimum, and more likely 4 years. If we take on too many of your ideas we will be looking at 6 years instead.

So no silly ideas

We also try to choose things that go hand in hand. We want to make ReAction better under the surface, and we want to use it in more places like preferences, PartitionEdit and the new console. Ideas, that supplement that, will be the most welcome.
Old 24 October 2023, 11:08   #1790
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
[/LIST] Would re-doing the prefs be a moment to reconsider storing the configured prefs in some editable serialization format? (toml/yaml/json/ini-file/whatever) instead of binary?

This would make scripted configuration changes and third party preference editing significantly simpler.
Maybe but there are also programs out there that read the iff versions, so if we change format they will no longer work

In general it is an idea, that although nice, will take away a lot of coding and testing time, better spend on other things. It is after all few people that will need this change
Old 24 October 2023, 11:38   #1791
kamelito
Zone Friend

You need more developers
Old 24 October 2023, 11:47   #1792
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
You need more developers
Yes that would possibly help.

I say possibly as there is an amount of onboarding that take resources away as well.

And more developers doesn't automatically make things happen faster. It takes time to test as well and most things have dependencies on other things.

We also want our team to work well together without too many conflicts. More people mean more conflicts that take time to resolve.
Old 24 October 2023, 13:40   #1793
kamelito
Zone Friend

I’m sure that a full time developer could be founded by the community.
Old 24 October 2023, 14:24   #1794
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

we have absolutely no interest in having paid developers. Part of the fun is that we are not paid. And having some that are paid and others not would be a night mare
Old 24 October 2023, 14:55   #1795
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
I’m sure that a full time developer could be founded by the community.
Part of the motivation for the work being done comes from not being subject to this kind of stick and carrot in the form of control. There does not have to be a plan to make feature XYZ work, complete with budget and a list of bullet points. Given the age of the source code, it's often hard to judge who would even want something fixed for good so badly that money, cookies or free pizza would be likely to enter the conversation.

Finding work in need of doing tends to come from the angle of technical needs to be met, such as age-old bugs which had been getting too comfortable even some 30 years ago. Curiousity plays into that as well. You might not know it at first, but taking a look under the accumulated dust of ages (wear goggles and a mask at all times) can lead to surprisingly interesting discoveries, many of which being of the kind you didn't even dare to imagine. Now you get to fix them, for free

It may not be for everyone. But you, too, can be an unpaid AmigaOS 68k developer and a combination of starving artist and unlikely hero in your spare time (imagine this as "Fringe" for Amiga software developers). Apply within

Note: might involve signing NDAs and spending as much time in front of your keyboard as you never expected to do, involving long hours and meeting mature legacy software and hardware bugs on their own turf, with unpredictable consequences for either party (bring your D&D dice kit, just in case the bugs consent to settle the score like adults).

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 24 October 2023 at 15:03.
Old 24 October 2023, 15:20   #1796
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
And more developers doesn't automatically make things happen faster.
Brook's Law right there

Old 24 October 2023, 15:28   #1797
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Brook's Law right there
So right

That said, another developer or 2 with the right motivation, chemistry, skillset and view on what AmigaOS 68k is would be welcome.

So if you are out there please get in touch !
Old 24 October 2023, 16:14   #1798
cloverskull

Wow, those screenshots look great. Looking forward to 3.3 here
Old 25 October 2023, 16:47   #1799
Romanujan

I hope the floating menu can be disabled in settings? I was a fan of them, I always turn them off in MagicMenu.

The new partitioning tool looks really interesting. Finally something easy to use! Does it also have an option to put/remove filesystems to/from RDB?
Old 25 October 2023, 17:06   #1800
DisasterIncarna

a much easier partitioning tool without having to enter loads of hex values here and there would do wonders for real and emulated amigas alike, always had trouble trying to get PFS onto emulated hardfiles for 1, something typically always goes wrong or i forget something or need to go find a guide that does a step-by-step of what to do/not do. Think i managed to get it running once on a real paritioned SD-Card on the amiga core for the chameleon 64 but now i have the mk2 and am trying that all over again its become a bit of a nightmare so ive given up for now.