English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 06 April 2008, 01:04   #1
MethodGit

Question Wiz 'N' Liz - possible two-button support?

I was just thinking - having been impressed by the many attempts of late to add alternate joypad configurations to many Amiga games so that we don't have to deal with "Up to jump" etc, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to implement a similar fix for one of my fave "quickie arcade" classics, Wiz 'N' Liz?

The only thing is that jumping isn't the problem this time (Fire does all the jumping in this one), but "dropping through platforms". This becomes an extremely important tactic in the later levels when time really is against you. It's really easy to do on the Mega Drive version by pressing A, but on the Amiga you have to painstakingly hold Down and press Fire which I think is rather unpractical in comparison, particularly when you're rushing through the map trying to collect, say, 20 wabbits within the last 15 seconds of the clock.

So how about it? I don't know if it would be easy to convince the game through coding that two simultaneous pressings aren't required to trigger a drop-through, but it would make the game nicer to play, especially with not-very-flexible d-pads!
Old 06 April 2008, 19:02   #2
laser
Banned

you can play the megadrive version of wiz & liz
it's better than the amiga version and supports 3 buttons
Old 06 April 2008, 19:09   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
you can play the megadrive version of wiz & liz
it's better than the amiga version and supports 3 buttons
that's no solution.

Some people just dont want to play other versions.

Some people dislike emulators, and only wish to play on original hardware.... you expect them to go out and buy a megadrive just for one version of a game they already have on the amiga?
Old 06 April 2008, 22:36   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
So how about it? I don't know if it would be easy to convince the game through coding that two simultaneous pressings aren't required to trigger a drop-through, but it would make the game nicer to play, especially with not-very-flexible d-pads!

Wouldn't be too hard as all you do is find the code that reads down+fire and replace it with a jump to our routine, this then checks the original down+fire but also fire2 and then branches to the routine.!
Old 07 April 2008, 10:13   #5
Graham Humphrey

I can't say I've ever had problems with the control system but I guess if you're using a pad rather than a joystick you may well do.

If someone can also fix the minor problems the game has on an '040 while they're at it then that would be fantastic... well I can dream
Old 07 April 2008, 11:50   #6
Psygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
If someone can also fix the minor problems the game has on an '040 while they're at it then that would be fantastic... well I can dream
life will be boring without dream
Old 07 April 2008, 18:51   #7
Graham Humphrey

Very true
Old 07 April 2008, 20:31   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i've done a little bit of research, and although i've barely scratched the surface, i dont think it'd be too tough to do at all....
the game code sits in fastram however, and as yet, i've zero experience with matching up A500 research code ($C02512 is an interesting subroutine relating to firebutton tests ) from fastram addresses, to those used with WHDload slave sources....

i'd need to see the slave source, and then i'd be willing to do the rest of the research and have a go at adding it. Unless someone else more experienced wants the job?

i dont think i could sort Graham's request though! (sorry mate - no expertise in that field yet)
Old 07 April 2008, 22:29   #9
Graham Humphrey

No worries Horace. It's not a big deal, and anyway it's hardly a problem exclusive to this game - maybe it's not really fixable anyway, who knows